Production guitars with Infinite/Flat Radii?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I was interested in trying a Flat radius, since in the realm of "traditional" radii I'd say 20" has been my favorite so far.

Now I know classical guitars are flat, and I definitely have access to those via Guitar Center and the like, but just to make the comparison as similar to an electric gutiar I'd prefer trying an actual electric with a Flat radius. I know Vigier Shawn lane models fit the bill, as well as guitars made by TK Instruments or Basslab. But are there any more guitars out there (ideally production guitars of course) to look out for?

I would guess the Vigier is by far my best chance on trying an electric with a flat radii, but wouldl love to be proven wrong.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ScottThunes1960

Reaction score
I’m not aware of any production guitars other than what you’ve mentioned. Unless a 24 fret strat with a Gibson scale is something you find unappealing, you can’t go wrong with the Vigier - Just wait until one pops up used, and you can easily save a grand off the new price.

I had a few necks with flat boards made for guitars I already liked (which I feel produced the best results). Unfortunately, the builder retired a few years ago, and my preferences ended up migrating back to rounder boards - As it turns out, the diminishing returns of how low an action you can achieve with flatter fingerboards makes itself apparent after about a 14” radius, assuming your fretwork is perfect. But it’s all preference.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's very little difference once you go above 20", at some point it's just not something you can discern. I've owned a Vigier Lane, and didn't find the flat board to be at all remarkable, good or bad.

As for production stuff, Ibanez has done BTB basses with 1m radii, or just under 40", and it's perceptible as flat. If that's helps.

jco5055

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah I've heard perception wise either 20" is virtually flat, or even 16" is virtually flat.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
My classical guitar is flat, and it definitely feels flatter than 20", but I suspect a part of that difference it is because the neck and the string spacing are much wider (plus the nylon strings), so there's too many variables to attribute it to just the fretboard radius.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My classical guitar is flat, and it definitely feels flatter than 20", but I suspect a part of that difference it is because the neck and the string spacing are much wider (plus the nylon strings), so there's too many variables to attribute it to just the fretboard radius.

This.

The wider the board the larger the cross section of the imaginary circle that makes the radius the more noticeable it can be, and that goes for flat radii as well.

Not to mention the dozen or so other variables that makes a neck.

As I've said before, hyperfocusing on a single spec isn't going to paint much of a picture. You'll rarely be in a position where it's the only variable.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Vigier Shawn Lane Excalibur is the only one.

I bought myself one during my senior year of high school. Overhyped. Truly. The infinite radius is definitely, noticeably a bit more flat than what we're used to nowadays (seeing 20" as the most/flattest available on production line guitars) and extended chords can feel a bit different if massive stretching is involved, but the level of flatness is nothing you'll truly notice or that will affect your playing otherwise.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the jackson Juggernaut and the PRS Holcomb SE have 20" radius production electrics that I know of. I've never seen a juggernaut in store so I can't give an opinion on those. But I've played a Holcomb SE numerous times. Solid feeling guitars. The radius didn't bother me that much, I honestly found it easier to transition between chords and playing single notes.

ian540s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Wizard 6-string at 430mm radius (more or less 17") and PRS Holcomb 7-string at 20" radius and there is a definite difference, which I'm sure would be the case from 20" to completely flat. Since the 7-string does have a wider fretboard than the Wizard neck, you'd think you would feel the curve a bit more, but no it does feel very close to flat.
I'll say the 20" does feel a little "easier" to do scale runs since it's so flat and everywhere on the board feels the same pretty much, but chords are actually harder for me although that could be the longer (26.5") scale.
I feel like a slight radius helps your hand contour around the board for weird-stretchy chords and is easier to barre.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
I’ve a friend who played 20” for years and when he tried a flat board said it felt almost concave.

I like 20” and wished there were more necks available, especially replacement necks.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I remember one of the Rusty Cooley sigs had an uncommon spec and thought it was a flat radius but double checked and it's not the case. It was the neutral fret, or actually the bridge serving as the neutral fret.

Edit: still can't think of any others but I mostly play a 20" and it's really plenty flat. In high school my #1 was a DK2M with a 12-16" and the upper register was really comfortable. Probably wouldn't go rounder than that for myself.