Prog Rock Yoga

• Thread starter ElRay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Between breaking 50, a sedentary desk job and COVID, my flexibility is going to pot. I've been trying to do some of the yoga on Apple Fitness+, but the Hip-Hop/R&B/Chill-Vibes music isn't really cutting it for me. Outside of Wrestling/Hockey Goalie/Rock Climbing focused stretching (from days long ago), I don't really know what I'm doing, so I really don't (yet) want to go the "Shut off the audio, crank the tunes and try to mimic what they're doing on screen." route.

Does anybody know of some good Stretching/Flexibility Workouts with more of a Prog/Art Rock sound track? Ozric Tentacles, Shpongle, etc would work fine and actually fit well without putting me into a "mindful" snooze.

EDIT: Autocorrect on "Shpongle".
EDIT: I just found: @MetalYogaBones - Big NOPE!, there's too much cookie-monster-vocals death metal.

Last edited:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I don't know but if you have the gear you could sidechain duck it so every time the yoga instructor talks it will duck your music that you want to listen to and when they stop talking it will elevate your music louder than theirs so you're basically reaplacing their music with yours.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know but if you have the gear you could sidechain duck it so every time the yoga instructor talks it will duck your music that you want to listen to and when they stop talking it will elevate your music louder than theirs so you're basically reaplacing their music with yours.
I did think of that, but the Apple Fitness+ videos have constant music/talking. I also thought of testing closed captioning (I'm assuming it's available), but that's too much to read while I'm trying to workout.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not sure about sound tracks, but as far as yoga goes I'd suggest the Iyengar method: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iyengar_Yoga. It always goes down to the teacher, but this method is pretty serious and without bull shit.
Oh ghad! That opened-up a rabbit hole. I'm coming at this from Hockey/Wresting/Rock-climbing flexibility. I did not know there were so many different "styles".

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Not sure what exactly you're looking for, but my girlfriend has a subscription to Yoga With Adriane's program, after doing her youtube practices for a couple years now. I've done a few of them with her - I'm newly on the wrong side of 40 and don't do much mobility stuff either - and they're both music free, and reasonably free of new age bullshit. I'd recommend checking out a couple. Her dog Benji is a frequent guest star, fi you're a dog person, as well. :yesway: