ProTone Bulb Attack OD (Smaller, more affordable Bulb Deluxe OD)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I have the Bulb OD... and I wouldn't buy it again.
There's better options for less money.

I recently got a Brutal Drive built by Airis Effects and it quickly replaced my ProTone Bulb OD!

nostealbucket

aint no gahdam woman
Reaction score
Almost $200 for a smaller version of a nearly $300 copy of a pedal you can probably get for $50 used. Hell, if you want to go far enough emulate the attack switch, just get a decent eq pedal (also $50 used)... No thanks, man.

aprilia4life

Reaction score
Almost $200 for a smaller version of a nearly $300 copy of a pedal you can probably get for $50 used. Hell, if you want to go far enough emulate the attack switch, just get a decent eq pedal (also $50 used)... No thanks, man.

But... but... MISHA ENDORSES IT!

wakjob

Reaction score
I agree.

I think the boutique pedal market has over stepped its bounds with parts count to dollar$ ratio.

There's nothing inside these things that are very original circuit wise or component wise, to justify the price.

They can keep the fancy casings if that's the cost modifier.

Phantom

Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is the 805 really better? (I'm trying to weigh my options before buying anything, and there are a lot of pedals to consider)

Sean Richardson

Onedge Custom
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is the 805 really better? (I'm trying to weigh my options before buying anything, and there are a lot of pedals to consider)

yes...:flame:

BUT the real question is does the 805 represent better value (value as defined by what you pay V's what you get V's what you can do with it). IMHO the 805 is miles ahead (for those on a budget that what more than a one trick pony).

That said I own both and would not sell either - the Protone has a certain mystic quality - open it up and you get a bit of a shock (figuratively), the wiring/layout is very hobby style but there are some cleaver things AND they sound great as a high gain boost.

The 805 though sounds just as good, is rock solid in terms of build, has some great features and saves you some coin.

Would I get the Bulb again? Yes… but the “lite” version I must confess. I suspect that by releasing the new cut price version, Protone have just killed the market for the original version (which was a remake of the limited edition).

If I could only afford a single OD though?

The 805.

4Eyes

Reaction score
any TS based pedal will do the trick, there is nothing new and no magic about it (including pro tone and the idea of using real OD pedal with amp simulations).

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Nothing really new or enticing about the original or newer compact version

Can just as easily get something more versatile like the VFE Focus, the Green Rhino or even a hardwire cm-2

They all do something a tad different and have different options but they all in the end will boost a high gain amp, tighten the lows, give a mid boost, and add some of that magic mojo to your sound

I don't see the appeal of protone, especially not with this prices

Sean Richardson

Onedge Custom
Reaction score
I don't see the appeal of protone, especially not with this prices

its the hype... I have a rather large collection of OD pedals in all sorts of shaps and variations.

without fail the one that EVERYONE picks up and ohhhs and ahhhs over is the Protone.

It is however, largly hype (but this is discretionary spending, so hype = success)

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score

PF Chang

Reaction score
Hot-rodded TS, smoothed mid hump.

Can be had for peanuts on ebay because of the brand name.

m0fNho65RkMHGcg5i_QnOmw.jpg