PRS Private Stock, Yay or nay?

• Thread starter eugeneelgr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
Hey guys, would like to get some input, any at all, on PRS private stock builds.

Over the weekend, I had some time with a custom 24 and I've fell head over heels with the shape, neck feel and general playability. Was pleasantly surprised by the weight and ergonomics as well.

However, there are a couple of specs that I want which can't be found on the core line. These are the specs :

Stainless frets
25.5" scale
PRS Gen III trem with pullup route ala Tremonti
Custom Stain finish
Redonkculous Quilt top
Bolt on(Might go with set too, undecided for now)

Thing is, I know the ballpark on a private stock build is around 10k USD and that's basically the main thing holding me back right now. Would like some input on whether I should eventually pull the trigger or not. I should mention that I will not be going ahead with a core line model, so this is purely a discussion on whether I should go ahead with a private stock or not. Any input and discussion is welcome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

austink

Reaction score
Do you have / are you willing to drop 10k on a guitar? If so go for it! While my prs is not my go to guitar, it is has the best craftsmanship and fit/finish. One thing I will note though, the satin finish doesn't really do a figured top justice and it will ultimately get some shiny spots.

-A guy with a satin prs

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Talk to a dealer who is familiar with the PS process and have them get you a real quote. Then go from there.

While plenty of builders can make what you want for less, with PRS you're pretty much guaranteed a perfect guitar within the stipulated timeframe. You're buying that guarantee.

Last edited:

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
Having been through the PRS PS one-off build process a couple times recently, for a one-off build with non-PRS standard features, $10k+ is just starting. If you get too far out there with the non-standard features (like apparently I did :arr: :arr:), you're looking at a down payment on a nice car. Also, personally, I'd never do a bolt-on with a PS; however, if your heart is set on that, then go for it. Just understand you will be an extreme minority in PS owners, and the value of your build may suffer because of it. You can expect a 14 month wait time.

hass85

Reaction score
Definitely contact a dealer that has experience with the PS program like was said above. Some of the main ones I know of are Wild West guitars (ask for Doug), Brian's guitars, Willcutt guitars. Send them the specs and get a quote. You might be surprised.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Only you can decide if the guitar is worth the money spent.

Also the "I wouldn't get a bolt-on PS" - the fender/suhr/anderson/pick a strat/tele builder custom shops laugh at you.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Only you can decide if the guitar is worth the money spent.

Also the "I wouldn't get a bolt-on PS" - the fender/suhr/anderson/pick a strat/tele builder custom shops laugh at you.

I think he was more meaning PRS arent exactly your go to bolt on and would hate to see your guitar lose perceived value if you ever had to sell it when youre paying over 10k obviously nothing wrong with bolt on though.

laxu

Reaction score
I think he was more meaning PRS arent exactly your go to bolt on and would hate to see your guitar lose perceived value if you ever had to sell it when youre paying over 10k obviously nothing wrong with bolt on though.

You're already going to lose a ton because few people will buy a 10k guitar used for anywhere near that.

To me it sounds like OP might be better off just getting a stock Custom 24 that has a nice top/finish and having the stainless steel frets and trem route installed by a luthier. The scale length will of course be slightly shorter but I don't see that as a big deal.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I don't even know if the PS will even do SS frets. Paul doesn't personally like them.
if you really want a 25.5 bolt-on you might be better off going for another builder. There are plenty that will give you the quiltiest of quilts.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you can afford it and you're not planning on flipping it later go for it, it would be an amazing guitar. I have a bolt-on narrowfield SAS that I absolutely love.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
If you can afford it and you're not planning on flipping it later go for it, it would be an amazing guitar. I have a bolt-on narrowfield SAS that I absolutely love.

^^^ This is a really great comment. Also, I'm feeling some extreme jealousy on the SAS. :agreed:

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I just looked on reverb...They are super expensive...but they are friggin rare.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
It's one of my "will never sell" guitars as it is one of the last handful of swirls Herc Fede did before he passed away.

Don't want to derail this too far but project thread is over here
http://sevenstring.org/threads/ncpd-prs-sa-studio-herc-fede-swirl.267456/

5Qj9DD.gif

Wow! That's a really rare and amazingly awesome guitar. Hold on to that! May put your future kid through college :lol:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
You can also talk to some of the major power dealers like Wildwood, Willcutt, etc... they might be able to do something with a Wood Library run. Basically Wood Library tops are PS tops that didn't get selected. They fall somewhere between Artist and PS quality, and most would say it's arbitrary and that they are every bit as good as PS. Plus you can get some pretty crazy options with a Wood Library run.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I don't even know if the PS will even do SS frets. Paul doesn't personally like them.
if you really want a 25.5 bolt-on you might be better off going for another builder. There are plenty that will give you the quiltiest of quilts.

PRS will do stainless steel frets. Here is a PS PRS available for purchase at a Canadian music store with stainless steel frets:
https://www.theguitarshop.ca/prs-private-stock-ps-6062/

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
To me it sounds like OP might be better off just getting a stock Custom 24 that has a nice top/finish and having the stainless steel frets and trem route installed by a luthier. The scale length will of course be slightly shorter but I don't see that as a big deal.

Nope, not gonna happen. I am only lusting for a private stock at the moment, as contradictory as it sounds I'm not gonna spend money on a core line custom 24 because I have enough guitars in that "class".

Also I know a couple of big names that will do similar specs to this, eg. Anderson, Suhr, but I already have a Suhr, Anderson Angels are a little bit big for me and the custom 24 shape is really nice and thin and not too unwieldy.

Thanks for all the comments by the way guys. I will get a quote through my local dealer and update this thread!

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Wood Library is not core. As far as I know it's: Core < 10 < Artist < WL < PS < Collection.

Your options are definitely going to exceed $10k, just based on the PS builds I've followed and the ones I've checked out. Especially if you're not modeling them entirely on a "core" model and you want something unique (like the VF or 7/8 string string ones I've seen)... then yeah probably $15k?