PRS Private Stock, Yay or nay?

• Thread starter eugeneelgr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

electriceye

Reaction score
You're already going to lose a ton because few people will buy a 10k guitar used for anywhere near that.

To me it sounds like OP might be better off just getting a stock Custom 24 that has a nice top/finish and having the stainless steel frets and trem route installed by a luthier. The scale length will of course be slightly shorter but I don't see that as a big deal.

I can't think of a quicker way to destroy the value of a PRS than to have a private luthier do a body mod on it...

OP, it's free to get a quote. Go for it. Although, you loved the feel so much, why would you go from the 25" scale to 25.5"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't think of a quicker way to destroy the value of a PRS than to have a private luthier do a body mod on it...

OP, it's free to get a quote. Go for it. Although, you loved the feel so much, why would you go from the 25" scale to 25.5"?

Maybe he just prefers baritone? :lol:

laxu

Reaction score

Fair enough but it's also quite a few thousand cheaper than buying a Private Stock model. You most likely take a bigger hit trying to sell one too.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Fair enough but it's also quite a few thousand cheaper than buying a Private Stock model. You most likely take a bigger hit trying to sell one too.

Probably. The PS will lose $3-5k at least once it's been purchased, minus any wear/tear. Then factor in desirability +/-. Either way he'll take a hit, so as long as OP gets what he wants and isn't looking to flip it...

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
I just got a reply back from my dealer,

24 fret double cut shape
Quilt maple top
Curly Honduras Mahogany back
Indian Rosewood Neck
Ebony Fretboard
Trem with trem up route
Stainless steel frets
25.5" scale
16" to 20" radius

These were the specs I provided him with and I got a quote of around 12500 Singapore dollars, or 9075 USD. I believe with more add ons it will be even more. Really quite hard to stomach that price at this moment, unless I offload some of the pieces in my collection, but I'm a sentimental bastard so...

Also I didn't feel anything bad about the 25" scale, just probably more used to 25.5. Definitely a little more tension for fast picking.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Doesn't sound that bad to me? I mean, were you really expecting any less? Used is like $5-7k.

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
Doesn't sound that bad to me? I mean, were you really expecting any less? Used is like $5-7k.
After the forum replies I was expecting way more. Before all this, when I was lusting for one, I was hoping around 7.5k USD though. Hmm...I'll have a good thought about it still, because I'm a big fan of the custom 24 shape and aesthetic.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
My understanding is the only time PS guitars are close to that price is when they are part of a store ordered semi-custom run (like Willcutt and Wildwood do) and have minimal spec changes... e.g. a core model with different colors, a solid RW neck, and a PS top. I've never seen anything unique priced that low brand new.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
9k is not bad. I was expecting 12.

25.5 is probably not that expensive of an option, the holcomb and a few others use it. You're basically just combining a bunch of their standard options into one guitar.

can their trem not be set up to float? or is the trem up route something different. It's been a long time since I've played a cu24.

narad

Reaction score
12k is like a 7-string.

beavis2306

Lusts for gear
Reaction score

24 fret double cut shape
Quilt maple top
Indian Rosewood Neck
Ebony Fretboard
Trem with trem up route
Stainless steel frets
25.5" scale
16" to 20" radius
Sounds sweet. What sort of tone are you going for with this? I'm curious about why the rosewood neck. Is it just the visual appeal, as they do look sweet or are you looking for something tonally

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Really quite hard to stomach that price at this moment

Sounds like you probably shouldn't get one just yet then. Wait, save, order, enjoy.

Also, if you want to ruin the value of a PRS faster than having a luthier mod it - just put a couple dings in the finish. That seems to do the trick.

narad

Reaction score
Sure, a ding isn't helping anything, but it's like a car -- the quickest way to devalue it is simply to buy it.

protest

Reaction score
Honestly $9k is way less than I was expecting. I'd have to make about double what I make to be able to stomach a $9k guitar but if you can do it dude you should do it. If you love PRS guitars, there's nothing like getting your own Private Stock. Just make sure it's what you really want. You said you're sentimental so I imagine you'll be keeping it which is a good thing.

$10k+ is just starting. If you get too far out there with the non-standard features (like apparently I did :arr: :arr:), you're looking at a down payment on a nice car

What the fuck kind of cars do you buy?

It's one of my "will never sell" guitars as it is one of the last handful of swirls Herc Fede did before he passed away.

Don't want to derail this too far but project thread is over here
http://sevenstring.org/threads/ncpd-prs-sa-studio-herc-fede-swirl.267456/

I forgot about that thing! So awesome.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After the forum replies I was expecting way more. Before all this, when I was lusting for one, I was hoping around 7.5k USD though. Hmm...I'll have a good thought about it still, because I'm a big fan of the custom 24 shape and aesthetic.

$7.5k might be possible on a PS with completely stock specs and no upcharges IF you get an awesome dealer that will really work with you on price. I'm honestly surprised it was only $9k with the rosewood neck, trem route, and longer scale.

electriceye

Reaction score

24 fret double cut shape
Quilt maple top
Indian Rosewood Neck
Ebony Fretboard
Trem with trem up route
Stainless steel frets
25.5" scale
16" to 20" radius

These were the specs I provided him with and I got a quote of around 12500 Singapore dollars, or 9075 USD. I believe with more add ons it will be even more. Really quite hard to stomach that price at this moment, unless I offload some of the pieces in my collection, but I'm a sentimental bastard so...

Also I didn't feel anything bad about the 25" scale, just probably more used to 25.5. Definitely a little more tension for fast picking.

I'm just curious how much the price would drop if you stuck with the satndard scale.

xzacx

Reaction score
I agree with everyone saying $9k doesn't sound bad. I looked into getting a single cut with a plain maple top and a solid black finish, and no inlays, and it was basically the same price. The oddball specs I wanted were a 24.75 radius, infinity radius and a wrap tail. At the time I was told that the scale length and radius added about $2k to the price.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I feel like the scale upcharge shouldn't be that much since they have made production guitars with that scale.