Quad Cortex vs what?

Toisen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I cant imagine buying a controller just to occasionally play songs for relatives, but im the guy that bought a whole rig on verbal “you’re in” only to be told “you’re out” 4 weeks later :lol:

Honestly if its to play songs for relatives, run a ndsp that cleans up with your volume knob. Are they critiquing the playing and tone too? No? Then who cares :yesway:
You showed a commitment. They've definitely lost more than they know. Dedication and commitment are invalueable IMO.

Lol the guitar volume thing is basically what I do. I would lie if I said my relatives care about tone, but I care and most of the time I play because I like the process and the outcome :)
But there are some songs where I want to switch FX chain, not only go clean / dirty.
It seems silly to me to spend $2k just to switch sounds faster for playing songs for a relative. However, I also agree that a MIDI controller makes the most sense if you like the sound of your plugins.

I am a Fractal fan, so I say FM3. If that doesn't have enough buttons then get a FM9. My 'dont feel like turning on all the tube and rack stuff' rig is a FM3 that sits on my desks with a EX-2 expression pedal under the desk. Fractal stuff IS more complicated, but I also find I mess with the settings less than other brands because it just sounds right out of the box with less fiddling.
Fractal stuff is powerful but it's like a spaceship to me: lots of buttons, inscriptions and spells, and I don't know their purpose.

I mean, is the plan to change your rig entirely? It seems like the impetus behind the whole thing is "playing songs for relatives", how often does that happen? If you're going to buy something to only use it sometimes, save your money and get a Pod Go or MIDI controller. If you're wanting to get something to use all the time - and will ostensibly be compatible with your plugins at some point in the future if Neural gets their shit together on that front - then just go ahead and get the QC
I thought I could profile my current tone and leave it in QC in standby mode so every time I grab my guitar I could play in a couple of seconds and switch profiles with a press of a button. I play regularly for practice, but the auditory is my relatives and friends. I don't plan to gig, that was the point. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Just get an acoustic guitar. :fawk:
I have piezo bridge 😈

I use a Morningstar MC8 with NDSP plugins and it's super simple. Takes almost no time to set up and it's super powerful. I use this controller for different midi rigs, but to my computer it's just a USB cable. For my money it is the best midi controller, though the smaller MC6 or MC3 might suit you very well. For example using the MC3 with 3 presets and a double press to go between pages.

That said, I do think the QC is a very good choice for you. Personally a proponent of more is more when it comes to buttons and controls, and it's pretty much the leader in that department. I also think a separate unit is a much better thing to have than needing your computer whenever you want to play.

I think I'll give a try to a MIDI controller and see how it goes. My local shop has MeloAudio controllers available and they have a neat return policy in case I don't like it.

Thank you guys for the advice! :)

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toisen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fm3 plus a boss 2-button switch for $30 and bam 5 buttons (or something else 2-button and affordable) is doable. People always leap to the expensive options :lol:

i stand by “cleaner tone via the guitar and technique” because relatives just want to hear you play, they dont care if its accurate to a song.
I would leap to expensive option if it's convenient. FM3 requires routing, a 2 button switch requires a power cable + midi cable (?) so now you have 4 cables instead of two to worry about and for me it's a headache: you'll not see a single cable on or under my desk because I'm a nerd when it comes to clean setup and cable management :nuts:
I totally agree that $2k device is not what normal people buy to play at home lol, but the amount of investment into my or my relatives hobbies crossed the normality line a long time ago. One of my friends said something like "normal people don't have a guitar at all. They are too busy with everyday problems to play it".

Regarding the tone, as I said above, that's for me :)

Last edited:

Shask

Reaction score
Fractal stuff is powerful but it's like a spaceship to me.

Thank you guys for the advice! :)

I would think playing through plugins would be just as complicated, if not more so, because then you have to deal with interfaces, ASIO, DAWs, etc.....

Then again, I am not a fan of plugins :)

Shask

Reaction score
I would leap to expensive option if it's convenient. FM3 requires routing, a 2 button switch requires a power cable + midi cable (?) so now you have 4 cables instead of two to worry about and for me it's a headache: you'll not see a single cable on or under my desk because I'm a nerd when it comes to clean setup and cable management :nuts:
I totally agree that $2k device is not what normal people buy to play at home lol, but the amount of investment into my or my relatives hobbies crossed the normality line a long time ago. One of my friends said something like "normal people don't have a guitar at all. They are too busy with everyday problems to play it".

Regarding the tone, as I said above, that's for me :)
I have a 2 button switch with my FM3. It is just a tiny thing that just requires a small wire it comes with. I have this one:

Hotone Switch

Its not really needed, but can be helpful if you want another switch. I just have mine set up to the tuner at the moment.

Toisen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Curious why you think the QC would be any different
I tried one. Pretty easy touch screen navigation. I messed with it for about half an hour and the thing felt intuitive to me.

I have a 2 button switch with my FM3. It is just a tiny thing that just requires a small wire it comes with. I have this one:

Hotone Switch

Its not really needed, but can be helpful if you want another switch. I just have mine set up to the tuner at the moment.
I wonder why they don't release something like FM6 with an additional row of buttons. It seems like their auditory needs it.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Boss Waza Air. Thank me later (and then thank @MaxOfMetal who recommended it to me). Zero cables, great sound, and uncanningly silent (computers will always pickup EMI shit).

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
No midi, no power. Just a simple 2-button like the one linked above. One cable. Extra cost of a few sets of strings.

Still curious about the use case this is all for though.

Shask

Reaction score
I wonder why they don't release something like FM6 with an additional row of buttons. It seems like their auditory needs it.
Their current products are based on using the same parts, so all the pedals will be the same size of the FM3 or FM9.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Maybe I’m misunderstanding the question, but I’m surprised no one has brought up the Friedman IR-X. You have a 2 channel amp with a boost for each channel, and can use it with your 2i2 or monitors.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought a used Line 6 FBV Express MKII to use with NeuralDSP plugins and it works fine. I also have an IK Multimedia Stomp I/O that works too.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the Yamaha THR10II Wireless with Line 6 adapter, but the main problem with it was that it doesn't have a stomp box (and mobile app had quite a delay) and the third party midi controllers not only cost like half of the unit but could only change between presets up and down which is not really convenient so I ended up with the same problem regarding preset switching. It sounded surprisingly good for its size though.
Regarding Boss, the small one was far worse than Yamaha IMO. I've considered the Katana 50, but the size of it turned me away. I already have pretty good monitors so I would prefer to use them instead of the cheap speakers most modeling amps have. I'm mostly looking for convenience, the price is not really a big factor unless it's going into 5 digits lol.
Thanks for the suggestion though, I really appreciate it :)

That's fair. :yesway:

The QC is a solid unit, folks get kinda wrapped up in the brand X vs. brand Y thing, but I think you'd be happy with it, it seems to check all the boxes of what you're looking for.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Helix and FM3
FM3 has a couple of problems for me: it would definitely require a separate stomp box because the 3 switches are definitely not doing it for me, so its 2 devices + cables. I would pay double to make it one small device.
This is why the FM9 exists ;)

Slide187

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
don’t think I’ve seen it brought up here yet, but like the Spark amps from Positive Grid are basically made for this scenario haha. Not super expensive, (not super pro, either) but they do sound really good for what they are imo and they’re very functional

All of them can be used as an interface, and 2 of them are super portable and easy to use. But all 3 do the same stuff. (As an interface they all sound/work exactly the same.) as stand alone amps you can store 4 presents in each of them and switch thru em on the amp (w/o using the app) or dial up more with the app. And they all work with the Spark Control. (A 4 button Bluetooth foot switch controller)

As amps they all use the same app, and settings. But physically the “big” one (Spark 40) is too bassy to me. The Mini is just right for bedrooms/livingrooms and playing at home in front of someone. And the Go is too tiny to sound good for anything but the person playing (personal opinion)

Seems to me like you’d do well with a Spark Mini and a foot controller.

It may sound like it but I should say I am not affiliated with them at all hahahah I just think they made a specific product for a specific thing and they nailed it.

Very convenient, sounds good. Very easy to use and they travel great (except the Spark 40. That ones still a little bulky)

torchlord

Reaction score
Seems like you want to get to your playing quick? You could get a VST Host program for Windows.

"If you produce with a computer and DAW, you more than likely already use VST plugins.

However, there might be times when you want to hop on and play around with your VST instruments and effects without launching your DAW. For example, you might want to jam with your VST plugins at rehearsal or play them live on stage.
If you produce with a computer and DAW, you more than likely already use VST plugins.

However, there might be times when you want to hop on and play around with your VST instruments and effects without launching your DAW. For example, you might want to jam with your VST plugins at rehearsal or play them live on stage."

I used to use (formerly) Peavey's Revalver 3 (prior to it getting sold) and it had basically a host program you could use and launch outside the Daw. You could also connect a MIDI controller pedal up to it and switch things like an amp. Which was nice if you wanted to get to the playing a little faster.

I personally like a tube amp more, you can't get any faster than that:)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
My axefx3 is already on, I guarantee it's quicker :lol: /pedantic

tedtan

Reaction score
I have piezo bridge 😈
I’m sorry to hear that.

I was joking when I said to get an acoustic, but knowing that you have piezos, I have to double down - there is no need to ever suffer through hearing those horrible piezos ever again. :lol:

My axefx3 is already on, I guarantee it's quicker :lol: /pedantic
And if I’m going with the acoustic suggestion, then it’s faster, too, as there is no need to even plug it in, let alone turn anything on.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
To be fair I can't imagine you will be disappointed by the QC. Buying you've missed most of the roadbumps experienced by early adopters (I'm a day 1 buyer). It's a great device :yesway: