Rabea signs with EBMM

• Thread starter Kwert
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's new, it didn't use to happen.

I don't think that's completely right in context.

A lot of the niche guitar players we know for their technical ability didn't get deals strictly because of the bands they were in, but because of their activity on the clinic and educational circuit that was popping up in the early 80's. Part of that was being a salesperson for the brand that payed much of the costs of that circuit.

Paul Gilbert got his initial Ibanez endorsement, not for his work in Racer X or Mr.Big, but his notoriety amongst the Shrapnel Records and GIT guys from doing exhibitions and clinics.

Joe Pass would basically break out into an Ibanez ad when playing the sit-in/trio rounds all over the world between sets.

When you see the format of a lot of YouTube Guitar Influencers it definitely harkens back to how clinics felt back in the 90's. You play some guitar, maybe not a fleshed out song, but snippets. You talk about gear. Play a few more snippets, talk some more shop, maybe discuss techniques or theory a bit. But it always comes back to selling the gear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score

A lot of the niche guitar players we know for their technical ability didn't get deals strictly because of the bands they were in, but because of their activity on the clinic and educational circuit that was popping up in the early 80's. Part of that was being a salesperson for the brand that payed much of the costs of that circuit.

Paul Gilbert got his initial Ibanez endorsement, not for his work in Racer X or Mr.Big, but his notoriety amongst the Shrapnel Records and GIT guys from doing exhibitions and clinics.

Joe Pass would basically break out into an Ibanez ad when playing the sit-in/trio rounds all over the world between sets.

When you see the format of a lot of YouTube Guitar Influencers it definitely harkens back to how clinics felt back in the 90's. You play some guitar, maybe not a fleshed out song, but snippets. You talk about gear. Play a few more snippets, talk some more shop, maybe discuss techniques or theory a bit. But it always comes back to selling the gear.

Don't forget that it's easier for gear companies to hedge their bets on young, talented players hitting it big with all other factors being equal.

Guys like Vai and Gilbert were on a meteoric rise to fame by the time Ibanez picked them up. Gilbert signed in 1989 and released a record with Mr Big that same year, which Gilbert has confessed was his and Billy Sheahan's attempt to mirror the commercial success of the big studio bands like Toto. Neither Gilbert nor Ibanez could've known what would happen to popular music soon after, though Gilbert managed to make the most of his career regardless.

Recruiting established players to artist rosters can be quite a bit harder. They have more negotiating power, for one.

Influencers are a bit of both, by which I mean that they have one foot in that clinic world you're talking about and another in the performing world with a fandom. It seems to me that guitar companies still look to endorse influencers with more traditional commercial viability (Rabea is a far cry from, say, Phil McKnight), which obviously reflects an interest in their playing that goes beyond the clinic/influencing side of it.

gnoll

Reaction score

That's a good point, I didn't think about that.

Anyway I gotta say I care very little who actually has a sig or not.

But! If someone gave me one I would spec something killer. So, you know...