Rechargeable batteries for active?

• Thread starter jl-austin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before. Is it possible to use rechargeable batteries for EMG's?

I'm not a gig'ing guy so I won't mind if they die when I'm doing something.

I'm just curious, I ant the EMG81 sound in a build I am doing, but don't feel like spending $5 a pop hen the battery dies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fabronaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
so... rechargeable 9V batteries are kind of a pain in the ass. I got some Li-Ion ones from Amazon to see if they might work in pedals I have, like my Boss RC-1 looper. very few 9V rechargeable batteries provide the same voltage output that an actual standard disposable 9V battery does.

If you do something like the 18V mod (or higher), you could get away with slapping the lower charge ones ones in there, provided that you have the space for it. (e.g. 7.4V EBL Li-Ion batteries * 2 = ~15V combined total voltage). the EBL Li-Ion batteries I got are absurdly lightweight. far as I know, I didn't get ripped off, but even Amazon's own "sold by" stock sometimes has counterfeits mixed in. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Full info here, and I'll attach the table from that site below as an image: https://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/9v.html#:~:text=The basics,size, not the actual voltage.

rechargeable battery quickref.PNG
Basically, the ones you want, if you want to be absolutely sure they're providing the same voltage as a "regular" 9V battery are the Maha PowerEx 9.6 V batteries -- specifically, the LSD (low self discharge) model, so it very slowly loses charge when not in use. (I wish I'd known that before I got the Li-Ion ones, which might be okay if it's an analog design or depending on the tolerance range / nominal output -- it depends on the specific circuit in the pedal.)

They are a bit more expensive and you have to buy the special charger for the NiMH batteries that's specific to the Maha models. IIRC, I was looking at around $55 + taxes and shipping for the charger alone, with each 9V battery being ~$20 CAD each. As you're in the US, you'll likely be able to get much better pricing on this sort of thing... I opted to do something even weirder and go with an even more expensive workaround, but I might still do this eventually anyway, haha.

IIRC for EMGs (not sure about other active pickups / electronics), it's also important to not leave your cable plugged into the input jack on your guitar, as that'll drain the battery the same as if it was "on" and plugged into an amplifier. It closes the circuit and operates same as normal, even if you're not using it... Hope that helps! :)

pipelineaudio

Reaction score
I just did two videos installing the Fishman rechargeables, one was the Strat version and the other the Universal. So far so good. Before that I was using Tenergy rechargeables with great results, but I'm hoping the Fishman's battery charge indicator system will give me more confidence. In my installs, I removed the 9v but left it in the circuit just in case. If a regular 9v needs to be used, the fihman connector is easy to pull out of the circuit (given I put my cavity covers on with magnets

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
EMGs last a long time if you unplug after playing. I can get a year out of daily playing in one guitar, so that $5 over that time doesn’t hurt.

Been tempted to grab one of these since I have mostly EMG setups. It’d take a decade to recoup the cost compared to batteries but the convenience is nice. Also easy to do 18v if the guitar only comes with a battery box or small cavity.
https://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/power-supplies/es-918.html

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
so... rechargeable 9V batteries are kind of a pain in the ass. I got some Li-Ion ones from Amazon to see if they might work in pedals I have, like my Boss RC-1 looper. very few 9V rechargeable batteries provide the same voltage output that an actual standard disposable 9V battery does.

If you do something like the 18V mod (or higher), you could get away with slapping the lower charge ones ones in there, provided that you have the space for it. (e.g. 7.4V EBL Li-Ion batteries * 2 = ~15V combined total voltage). the EBL Li-Ion batteries I got are absurdly lightweight. far as I know, I didn't get ripped off, but even Amazon's own "sold by" stock sometimes has counterfeits mixed in. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Full info here, and I'll attach the table from that site below as an image: https://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/9v.html#:~:text=The basics,size, not the actual voltage.

View attachment 136853
Basically, the ones you want, if you want to be absolutely sure they're providing the same voltage as a "regular" 9V battery are the Maha PowerEx 9.6 V batteries -- specifically, the LSD (low self discharge) model, so it very slowly loses charge when not in use. (I wish I'd known that before I got the Li-Ion ones, which might be okay if it's an analog design or depending on the tolerance range / nominal output -- it depends on the specific circuit in the pedal.)

They are a bit more expensive and you have to buy the special charger for the NiMH batteries that's specific to the Maha models. IIRC, I was looking at around $55 + taxes and shipping for the charger alone, with each 9V battery being ~$20 CAD each. As you're in the US, you'll likely be able to get much better pricing on this sort of thing... I opted to do something even weirder and go with an even more expensive workaround, but I might still do this eventually anyway, haha.

IIRC for EMGs (not sure about other active pickups / electronics), it's also important to not leave your cable plugged into the input jack on your guitar, as that'll drain the battery the same as if it was "on" and plugged into an amplifier. It closes the circuit and operates same as normal, even if you're not using it... Hope that helps! :)
You bringing up NiMH 9.6v batteries make me wonder about using some of those RC car batteries in a guitar. They seem pretty low profile so I'm curious if they'd fit in a full control cavity. Doesn't seem like it's be hard to convert a 9v battery clip into a harness to make one work

gclef

Reaction score
Count me as another vote for the fishman batteries. I use the backplate on my hardtail strat to power the active circuit.

Most people don't notice the discrepancy.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried the EMG ES918 with Fluence pickups? It's definitely not the l more affordable option but I hate batteries in my guitar in general 😂
(my old Ibanez acoustic was ruined by a leaking battery and I definitely don't want that with my Prestige...)

fabronaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You bringing up NiMH 9.6v batteries make me wonder about using some of those RC car batteries in a guitar. They seem pretty low profile so I'm curious if they'd fit in a full control cavity. Doesn't seem like it's be hard to convert a 9v battery clip into a harness to make one work
that would probably work! I didn't look too deeply into that, as my use case / desire for the rechargeable option was specifically for the regular 9V form factor for standard pedals like my Boss looper.
Using rechargeable batteries to replace a battery that lasts over a year? :scratch:
haha yeah... EMG pickups aren't exactly the most prominent use case for rechargeable batteries. I'm still an advocate for investing in quality tech and keeping shit out of landfills etc. where possible, so I figured I'd chime in with a fairly comprehensive answer that is more or less a drop in option.

EMG makes a hilariously overpriced small powered box that can run the pickup electronics off of a fairly standard TRS cable or similar... insert it between the guitar and the amp / rest of the chain, presumably before any pedals etc. and you're good to go? that's another way around it, I guess. shrug.

holy fuck, they're asking $130 (USD??) for that and it doesn't even include a powered adapter? I know they overprice their accessories, but damn... and I thought the overpriced 3 way toggle switch I got when I was feeling lazy was bad... don't buy that for what they're asking... that's ridiculous.

Marked Man

Reaction score
EMG say they've tried 'em all and recommend Duracell ProCells, which actually produce 9.5V and are very long life.

You can buy in bulk on amazon and have them in a couple days. Worries over. :wavey:

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I only bother changing the 9v in my EMGx-equipped guitar about once a year when I change strings and oil the fretboard. My Fishman Fluence Modern-equipped guitar goes through batteries a bit faster, but I have only changed batteries in that twice in the last year.

Rechargeables are great for high-drain devices, but may leave you having to change batteries more often in your guitar because of the way they discharge.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere but I have seen a fairly low-cost DIY setup that powers actives through the jack using a TRS cable and a little stompbox doodad. Personally I just decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze on actives, but if you're committed to the lifestyle, a permanent solution seems ideal. Even rechargeable batteries die eventually.

gclef

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before. Is it possible to use rechargeable batteries for EMG's?

I'm not a gig'ing guy so I won't mind if they die when I'm doing something.

I'm just curious, I ant the EMG81 sound in a build I am doing, but don't feel like spending $5 a pop hen the battery dies.
Amazon. A sleeve of 8 or 10 is like 10 or 12 bucks.

1 emg pickup will last probably 2 to 3 thousand hours of playing time. At the low end estimate, that is 83 days non stop. If that's OK, then just leave the darned thing plugged in! Lol.
Playing "only" 2 hours a day get you nearly 3 years on a battery.

My clapton circuit with fishman battery is going on... maybe 9 months to a year?

My emg 57/66tws went a year easily with at least an hour a day playing time.

asopala

Reaction score
TBH I'd get one of those rechargeable plates for Fishman pickups and wire them up to your EMG harness.

I would agree except for one problem: if many years of having android phones and electric razors are of any indication, MicroUSB is the easiest port to break both on the cable and internally, and the cables fall out of the port after a while. I'd be more for it if they had a USBC version, especially because realistically the female port is going to be the first thing to go if I'd have to replace the entire assembly. Thankfully they sell the battery packs separately, but yeah. MicroUSB bad.