Recommend me some picks

• Thread starter TheStig1214
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I play lots of fast and energetic bar chords as well as riffing and leads, so that's probably where most of the real damage comes from.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheStig1214

Mr. Tophat Jones
Reaction score
I play lots of fast and energetic bar chords as well as riffing and leads, so that's probably where most of the real damage comes from.

I don't play fast but I play heavy with big strings. I placed an order for 2 Icegrip Shiv XL Thinlines. Let's see how these are.

stevexc

Reaction score
I don't play fast but I play heavy with big strings. I placed an order for 2 Icegrip Shiv XL Thinlines. Let's see how these are.

The only problem with them is you wind up wanting to order all the different shapes... they don't feel quite how you'd expect them to, but in a good way. They play as if they're much thinner and easier to hold, but still firmer.

TheStig1214

Mr. Tophat Jones
Reaction score
:lol::wub:

Hey thanks man, I'll have them shipped tomorrow! :hbang:

Sweet! This is why the internet is awesome.

The only problem with them is you wind up wanting to order all the different shapes... they don't feel quite how you'd expect them to, but in a good way. They play as if they're much thinner and easier to hold, but still firmer.

Again, I played with Ice Pix for a LONG time. Those things were about .5mm, so thinness is actually preferred, another problem I have with the CFJIIIs. A bit to thick for my tastes.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
+1 for Gravity Picks. about $8 a pop but he usually sends free shit along with it to try out, and DAMN they take some abuse

59Bassman

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I'm glad you're not into super boutique $20 picks, because I'm going to suggest an ULTRA SUPER BOUTIQUE $40 pick, the Blue Chip. My local shop has a hard time keeping the jazz shapes in stock.

Flyingvb

Reaction score
I'm gonna reccommend two ones I own.

The first is Red Bear. I bought a Red Bear pick roughly 2 years ago, it was the only pick I played those entire two years (I play on average 1-3 hours a day), granted the tip does wear out but it does gradually so you adjust slowly and it doesn't have as a dramatic effect as you would think. Also pick scraping does wear the sides down so at the start you're scared of scraping that $30 pick but you stop caring and it does it's job. Mind you they sound amazing due to it being made out of synthezised animal protein to mimic real turtle shell. Only thing you gotta do to ensure longevity is don't keep it in your pocket, wallet or throw it around. Just treat the thing with care and you'll get a lot of mileage out of it. Don't even think about bending it, you'll snap $30 of fake turtle clean in half.

The second company is Gravity Picks. I recently ordered myself two picks just because my Red Bear is a little too worn down at this point (the tip is becoming FUBAR and I wanted those cool colors). Gravity's are about $5 a pop but they're super durable and in the end I'd rather buy one pick for the same price as a set of 6 and it lasts about the same. The owner Chris is a cool dude and even threw in a free pick and thanked me by email when I ordered, great customer service!

Both companies allow you to customize your pick and choose different colors, sizes, thickness and shape, rounded or sharp tip, grip holes, bevels etc.
If you don't wanna (turtle) shell out $30 on a Red Bear, order a couple of Gravity's and that way you have more options as far as shape goes and you won't break the bank.

Just a final 2¢: people seem to always forget that a pick has a huge impact on your tone so if you're serious about your tone, don't skimp out and buy cheap picks (unless you like their tone). Besides, if you're willing to pay upwards of $2k for a guitar then you can afford a $5-20 pick!

Good luck!

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
I've tried quite a few different picks and my favorites are Dunlop Jazztone 205 and Big Stubby Jazz 3mm.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
recently I've been playing Jazz III XLs, Ultex 1.14mm, and Ibanez Grip Wizards.

the Jazz III XLs are a great if you like the regular Jazz IIIs but preffer a "full sized" pic

I like the Ultex, they feel nice in your hand not to thick and don't slip in between your fingers much, but I feel as though they don't get as much "grip" on the strings as I would like.

The Grip Wizards are actually pretty cool untill the rubber grips wear off then all you are left with is a regular old pick haha.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
My problem with the Jazz iii max grub carbon fibres is that it makes the sound really flat.

Bout to order some winspears.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
Flat how? I'm curious

Just makes the tone dull. I bought some standard red max grip jazz iii and it was fine.

Its like someone put a pillow in front of the speaker (exaggerated) but you get the point. Just a lack of snap to the sound.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I've been using 1.14 - 1.60 mm Snarling Dogs' "Brain" nylon picks for years. I use them for both guitar and bass and they last for a fair bit of use. They're only .35-.50 cents a piece no it's no big whoop if it only lasts for a month or so. The best feature of them though is that a) They come in sizes that are thicker than normal Dunlop nylons and b) they have a great 'dotted' texture for a great grip.

TheStig1214

Mr. Tophat Jones
Reaction score
I got my Shiv XLs today and I really like the Icegrip material. However the thinness at the tip and the largeness of the pick I'm not digging. Just ordered some Shiv IVs instead. Maybe my bass player will like the XLs :lol:

The Scenic View

Reaction score
+1 on the Dunlop Gator Grip. I love those things to pieces, and would be extremely into them if they came with a more pointed tip like the T3s. I'm also liking the Tortex Sharp, and the Ultex Sharp and Jazz 2.0 series. All around great picks. Try them out, and remember, you can always cut into them with a knife for extra grip.