Recommend me some picks

• Thread starter TheStig1214
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheStig1214

Mr. Tophat Jones
Reaction score
Rhythm player problems. So until recently I have been using Ice Pix stainless steel picks and cutting them myself with a dremel into a Jazz III sort of shape. I loved them because they never wore down, but they really wore my strings. Then my bass player gave me a few Dunlop Carbon Fiber Jazz IIIs and I really like them, but they are starting to wear down. While I'm not a super hard gorilla strummer I do pick kinda hard. (I have also tried bone, horn, copper, tortex, and ultex, for reference.)

So, please recommend me some pick that won't wear at all. I'm not into super-boutique-$20-a-piece picks, but I am willing to throw a little bit of money at my problem. Suggest away, SSO!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Big Stubby 3mm. Best all round pick I have tried. They are also very easy to drill for extra grip and a more relaxed hand.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Handfull of Dunlop gators or graphtec tusq's, keep em on rotation. Were only talking less than 50cents a pick here so doesnt hurt to replace or buy bulk.... Tusqs are thin but great because you can get them in different flavours, check em out...

Mike

Reaction score
Well they're not super boutique, but they're boutique. Gravity picks are probably the best for durability. You can get any Classic or Razer model with all of the options for roughly $7-12 per pick. I used them for a little while and they are amazing picks. My only gripe with them was the excess chirp they added into my tone, so I stopped using them.

I finally settled on the 2mm Ultex picks after trying everything else out there. For me its the perfect mix of comfort, durability, and tone. As I've been told before, picks are a consumable. Find what you like and buy them in bulk.

Yousef

Reaction score
You wear down the carbon fiber picks? :scream:

I don't think anyone can recommend something better than those. I've had the same carbon fiber jazz III pick for 3 years and it hasn't worn down at all. Those an Ultex jazz III pickups don't wear down for me.

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
Maybe I'm picking wrong because I haven't found a pick that doesn't wear down at all. :lol: The best pick durability I've found out of all the picks I've used have been from Gravity picks. If you price it right a pick from them shouldn't cost you more than $7-$9.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Big Stubby 3mm. Best all round pick I have tried. They are also very easy to drill for extra grip and a more relaxed hand.

I have like $400 worth of Gravity, V-Picks, etc. (I know, I went overboard without realizing it, don't judge me :lol:), and they're just ok... A lot of them wear down way too easily. I spent all of that money and what have I been playing the most? Big Stuby 3mm, and the small "cough drop" Stubby 3mm.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Gravity Picks. Acrylic, tough as nails. If you beat those down switch to rocks. For the guy that talked about the chirp, it's present but greatly muffled if you get the master finish.

I wish this was my experience, but I have purchased 5 Baby Punches (name of the pick :lol:) and every single one of them had the very end of the tip broken at the end of ONE session. A couple other pointed models ended up behaving the same way. I don't think there's a way to keep acrylic so finely pointed, no matter how hard it is (hardness can also mean brittleness). For $20, I'd rather have a 10 year supply of the Dunlops instead of just one Baby Punch. However, I realize not everybody is using the super pointed model.

stevexc

Reaction score
Winspear picks. Shiv XL will probably be the right shape for you. Yeah, they're pricey, but they'll last for months before they get worn down. Plus you're supporting an awesome SSO member.

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
Winspear picks. Shiv XL will probably be the right shape for you. Yeah, they're pricey, but they'll last for months before they get worn down. Plus you're supporting an awesome SSO member.

Can't believe I forgot about Tom's picks. If you're afraid of the chirp that might be present with acrylic picks, which I didn't have a problem with Gravity picks and had more chirp from a Ultex Jazz III 2.0, then Winspear Picks do are a great option. Those picks really are tough and they do not wear down at all. Ever.

Maniacal

Reaction score
I have like $400 worth of Gravity, V-Picks, etc. (I know, I went overboard without realizing it, don't judge me :lol:), and they're just ok... A lot of them wear down way too easily. I spent all of that money and what have I been playing the most? Big Stuby 3mm, and the small "cough drop" Stubby 3mm.

Holy shit dude! $400 is a little over the top.

I had a similar pick dilemma a few years ago and spent ages trying to find a pick that I could use for every style of music, would allow me to play dynamically and sounded good. Not an easy task. I tried Red Bear, Winspear, Gravity, V-Picks as well as about 20 cheaper picks. All of them had issues for me.

One day I was going through my pick drawer and I discovered a dinosaurs tooth, I mean big stubby. It was perfect for fast playing but lacked the grip for totally relaxed playing, so I drilled some holes in it and my quest was over.

No more need to spend a small fortune on picks!

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
One day I was going through my pick drawer and I discovered a dinosaurs tooth, I mean big stubby. It was perfect for fast playing but lacked the grip for totally relaxed playing, so I drilled some holes in it and my quest was over.

No more need to spend a small fortune on picks!

That big thumb imprint in the middle doesn't give you enough grip, I take it? I'm sort of indifferent about that part of it, but it works for me so I haven't bothered. Now that you mention it though, I might experiment a little.

Maniacal

Reaction score
It gives me an okay grip, but it requires me to apply too much force just to hold the pick in place. During my years of obsessive picking efficiency I realised that even the smallest amount of tension when holding the pick would result in fatigue and less speed.

Being relaxed is also incredibly important to how I play. I pick directly to string, no angle at all. The plus side to this is I can play totally relaxed at 240+ and I never wear picks down. The downside is that any tension could cause me to dig into the string too much and as I use 3mm picks there is no give and so I make a mistake due to the pick latching onto the string.

Now when I hold the pick it literally stays in place without me really applying any force at all. This didn't happen straight away, I experimented with drill bit sizes and drill hole placement so that the pick sits in between my fingers. The holes are placed at certain points where my thumb and index finger sit.

I have managed to convince several of my students to give it a go and they love it. A fellow guitar teacher in my area introduced me to 3mm picks and I thought it was ludicrous, I am glad I went back to them years later.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
You wear down the carbon fiber picks? :scream:

I don't think anyone can recommend something better than those. I've had the same carbon fiber jazz III pick for 3 years and it hasn't worn down at all. Those an Ultex jazz III pickups don't wear down for me.

I get a month or two out of my CF JIII's if I'm playing consistently.

TheStig1214

Mr. Tophat Jones
Reaction score
I get a month or two out of my CF JIII's if I'm playing consistently.

I've been playing pretty inconsistently with work and such, but these are what my 2 CFJIIIs look like now after about a month. I realize it's minimal, but I like really sharp points.

gBJgdpw.jpg

I'll definitely check Winspear. I've played a Gravity before and I don't remember if I liked it or not, but I've seen their shapes and it seems I can;t find shape I like 100%.

I could also try Purple Plectrums....