Recommended reading for guitarists!

• Thread starter JLP2005
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blanco

Reaction score
First book i got was john petrucci-rock discipline. Had some really interesting things in it, came with a handy dvd which helped with positioning and things. If i remember rightly i actually stole a fair amount of bits from it to be my warm up because he did a lot of string skipping, sweep patterns and stretching exercises.

I just got Guthrie Govans Creative Guitar 1, and I would recommend this to anyone who's ever even touched a guitar.
This as well. Won't make you play like him but give you a great insight into his style.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
I'm getting a lot of mileage lately out of Joe Diorio's *21st Century Intervallic Designs*. It's excellent for breaking up scalar patterns in your lines, and gives you a thorough alternate-picking workout in the process. (Great for building hybrid-picking or fingerpicking dexterity as well!)

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, has anybody read Mayasa Yamaguchi's books? I'm currently looking into "Symmetrical Scales for Jazz Improvisation" and "The Complete Thesaurus of Musical Scales", all of his books look interesting and they get great reviews on Amazon. Just wondering if anyone here has any experiences with his books.

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
Funnily enough I caught that Kenny Werner Piano masterclass video on reddit and it was a phenomenal experience. Showed it to all my musician friends.

Repner

Reaction score

bandinaboy

SS.org Unsui
Reaction score
Funny... I thought seeing as how I had a kindle full of books I would have some input, but most of the good ones have been mentioned.
Cannot recommend the Music Lesson enough!
Some have been mentioned some have been not, here are my favorites:

The Chord Factory by Jon Damian - Some what goofy way of presenting some of the coolest voicings of chords you never knew! I have his Improvising book too, which Im am sure is genius, but I havent cracked it open yet!

30-day Guitar Workout by Jody Fisher - Did not expect to gain so much from this book, but I'm on day nine and my accuracy and chordal knowledge has skyrocketed.

Guthrie Govan Creative Guitar 1 and 2 - 1 for the theory, 2 for the shred!

The Jazz Theory book by Mark Levine - loads of good information and plenty of examples to back up every idea.

Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo - Interesting ways of looking at basic things that often looked over. Great inspiration to practice in here.

Jazz by Pat Martino - The title is vague, but its got a bunch of jazz hotlines that you never knew about! Want to play a jazzy lick? Come no further.

There are more that are good, but not my favorite.
But aside from instructional books, don't forget to dive into actual music books, with notes! Get Scores, tab books, signature lick books from your favorite bands!
-The Real Books
-A Hand full of Dream Theater books
-Pat Metheny Song book
-If your into video game music, there is millions of FREE sheet music for it!
-Throw some classical music in there like "The Library of Guitar classics" maybe?
You know, Charlie Parker always carried a copy of "The Rite of Spring" by Stravinsky with him. Maybe you should too?

And outside the realm of guitar
The Pat Pattison Book Writing Better Lyrics
is actually pretty helpful for composition, song flow, and well uhh Lyrics. Haha

Hope I was helpful! Now get reading!

phugoid

Reaction score

Repner

Reaction score
The other one I've started using is Troy Stetina's Fretboard Mastery. It's more about helping you get what's in your head onto the guitar through ear training and learning how to apply it to the fretboard. I like to use it alongside online ear training programs like the one on musictheory.net. He intended it to be a companion to the more physical technique based books he puts out.

HL00695331.jpg

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
+1 on the Guthrie books, even if I weren't a fanboy I do think the infomation is laid out well and the writing is structured in a way that never becomes confusing. Gotta remember he did teach at ACM for quite a few years, so he's actually quite experienced :)

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score