Revv Generator 120 Mk3 vs Mesa Mark V

• Thread starter MrWulf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Revv Generator 120 Mk3 Vs Mesa Mark V

• Revv Generator 120 Mk3

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Mesa Mark V

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Others

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

MrWulf

Reaction score
Buying my first amp setup. I'm gunning for the big boy, do it all amp that can go clean, crunch, rhythm, and lead without losing a beat as well as having high resale value (just in case). I've narrowed it down to these 2 choices, the new Revv Generator 120 mk3 or the tried and true Mesa Mark V.

I'm going to pair the Revv with a Revv 2x12 loaded with WGS Veteran 30 (which roughly result in a 4k setup)

Meanwhile, for the Mesa Mark V, I'm going to hunt for a used unit and pair it with a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 with Celestion V30 and Torpedo Captor X (which roughly a 3k setup or so in total)

With either amp, I'm going to pair it with my KSR Ceres pedal in the loop for even more toanz. So, should I save up for a new Revv thru Sweetwater or go hunting for a Mark V? There is a couple of good used deals for a Mark V (one guy selling it for 1.6K and another is selling his half stack for 2.6k, both are excellent condition)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
EytchPi42 has a great series of videos on the Revv on YouTube. IMO its second channel is not as good sounding as the rest, which is pretty common thing on most 3-4 channel amps where most of the channels are aimed for heavier tones.

Mark V can be configured so many ways you can get a helluva lot of tones out of it. I haven't bought one mainly because I am hoping they make a Mark VI and the V is rather expensive even used in my country. My beefs with the amp are that you are limited to the 1 graphic EQ and would have to use something like the separate Mesa graphic EQ pedal to augment it if you want separate settings for different channels rather than relying on those preset EQ knobs. The other annoyance is that it does not use MIDI footswitching. That's just a bonkers stupid decision on an amp with this many features.

mongey

Reaction score
The revv looks amazing and has features up the ass. But there is always a hot new company charging an arm and leg and then one day they just kinda fade out when the next new thing comes. Mesa is established and will always hold its value.

Just my take.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Mesa Mark amps generally retain good resale value.

trem licking

Reaction score
Mark amp... Look for a good used price and pretty much guarantee you're not gonna lose money if you sell. Also, you know that you wont need a boost to get tight sounds or you can get loose stoner sounds as well (i hate having to use boosts). Also cheaper. Never played a revv, but based on modelling amps I've played and having played real marks, I'd pick a mark

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I would buy the Revv. It offers more features I like/would use.

But if you are going to get an awesome deal the Mark V by all means buy it, they are fantastic amps.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I own a Revv Gen MkII and Mesa Mk3 (had a mkiv as well). Both cover huge swathes of tones, though I think the revv has better cleans, and the high gain channels are more modern overall. Plus it has more straightforward controls and they don't need to be run as loud as Marks.
The revv looks amazing and has features up the ass. But there is always a hot new company charging an arm and leg and then one day they just kinda fade out when the next new thing comes. Mesa is established and will always hold its value.

Just my take.
I mean Revv has been around for years at this point, and the hype is very justified imo. My Gen more than keeps up with every other amp I have.

70Seven

Ibanez Foerever!!!
Reaction score
I got a Revv 100P with a 2X12 loaded with two WGS Veteran 30.. It sounds great can't say anything bad about it, don't regret it one bit. Also FYI it sounds great at lower volumes either in 100 or 10 watts, cant say that about every amp.

Never tried a Mesa so cant compare with it.. But the Revv's are great!

Meeotch

Reaction score
I bought and sold a Generator 120 MkII. It wasn't a bad amp by any means, but I could not get along with channel 4 at all. Channel 3 (purple) was the clear showpiece of the amp, and while I liked it I didn't love it considering the price. Cleans were great but not as good as my JP2C.

The Generator MkIII's have been revoiced as I'm sure you are aware, so IMO that is a good thing. This makes it a tougher decision, because if it were Generator 120 MkII vs Mesa Mark V, I'd say Mesa all the way. Aside from some demos online I haven't read any user reviews of the new Revvs. The Revv has more features than any amp I've ever seen really, so even against the venerable Mark V it wins there. BUT it is quite a bit more expensive. It would be hard to beat the clean and crunch tones from the Mark V. Absolutely incredible. I'd wager the high gain channels of the Revv will be more straight forward to dial in, and will be more modern in nature than the Mesa.

If you are picky and love Metallica/Lamb of God tones, go with the Mesa. It will reward you in ways the Revv cannot. If you just want an all-around workhorse that will sound great and do everything well, some things great, and you have the cash, go Revv.

MrWulf

Reaction score
sounds like you should try some gear instead of theorycrafting rigs out of equipment you've never used

I've played a bunch of LBX amps + having a pedal setup for a long while. The last couple of months i have been playing with a computer rig. I know exactly what i want (an expensive, do it all metal amp with a 2x12 that can be hookup into the computer)

Have fun trying out gears in this climate, too. Not like the local GC only stock your typical 5150 or practice amp or something.

Maybe you should learn to read the OP before comment.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I would go for the Mark V, especially since you have the Ceres that you can run through the loop for the ultra modern heavy tones. It'll hold its value down the line, especially compared to having to buy the Revv brand new. FWIW, I got a decent deal on my Mark V a few years ago and have only seen one or two cheaper since then.

The Mark V does clean, crunch, lead, and heavy tones, and it does them all extremely well. All of the modes are usable, and it's easy to dial in any kind of sound you want once you "learn" the controls.

Any particular reason for the Captor X specifically? If it's mostly for the attenuation options, I would skip it for now since the amp itself has a pretty good master volume control anyway. If it's more for direct recording, I would also check out the Suhr Reactive Load since it has a more accurate response.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
‘big boy, do it all amp that can go clean, crunch, rhythm, and lead without losing a beat as well as having high resale value (just in case).’

Based on this I’d tell you to look for a Herbert cause I have one and it’s all those things and rules.

I don’t really get a sense of what you want to play tho. What kind of tones do you need?

MrWulf

Reaction score
‘big boy, do it all amp that can go clean, crunch, rhythm, and lead without losing a beat as well as having high resale value (just in case).’

Based on this I’d tell you to look for a Herbert cause I have one and it’s all those things and rules.

I don’t really get a sense of what you want to play tho. What kind of tones do you need?

I generally favor modern metal (non djent) tone that isnt just another 5150/mesa/marshall variants (i do however like EVH 5150iii red channel as an exception) Fwiw my tone right now is a KSR Ceres straight into an interface. It is tight, thick and articulate without losing saturation.

MrWulf

Reaction score
I would go for the Mark V, especially since you have the Ceres that you can run through the loop for the ultra modern heavy tones. It'll hold its value down the line, especially compared to having to buy the Revv brand new. FWIW, I got a decent deal on my Mark V a few years ago and have only seen one or two cheaper since then.

The Mark V does clean, crunch, lead, and heavy tones, and it does them all extremely well. All of the modes are usable, and it's easy to dial in any kind of sound you want once you "learn" the controls.

Any particular reason for the Captor X specifically? If it's mostly for the attenuation options, I would skip it for now since the amp itself has a pretty good master volume control anyway. If it's more for direct recording, I would also check out the Suhr Reactive Load since it has a more accurate response.

Attenuation is one thing. Another thing is that i want to be able to hook into my interface for reamping and such. Revv already has the Two Notes built in + 10 watt mode so i dont need it for it.

sonofabias

Reaction score
I’d get the new MKIII imho
Admittedly I’m also a Revv “ artist “ so I am somewhat bias of course lol . The features and tone options can’t be beaten ! If however your preference is a Mesa , I go with the JP2C+ , I’ve heard too many complaints about the MK V limitations although I’ve never played one .
I was also a Mesa “ artist “ in the past but they dropped me years ago lol

MrWulf

Reaction score
Admittedly im interested in the Mark V after playing ML Sound Lab's ML5. The rhythm i've heard on various clip is very interesting. It is very smooth, liquid-y but still have the crunch and the tightness needed. But with the revoiced channels in the Revv i'm pretty sure i can also dial that sort of tone too so thats no issue.

MrWulf

Reaction score
If you like your KSR pedal so much, why don't you just get a KSR head?

With the Ceres in the loop it can do 90% of an KSR amp without spending that much into a whole amp. Beside, im all about tonal diversity. KSR is basically a 5150 that actually good so something else to complement it is ideal for me.