Roberto-Venn builds: Acoustic, Blackmachine, Strandberg content

• Thread starter 9voltchicken
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
7 string strandberg has been approved. May very well be starting next week sometime.

Holy crap this turned out blurry. Sorry about that. Anyway, final shaping of the headstock and tuner holes drilled. The drill bit wandered a bit on two of them so I doweled and re-drilled them. The tuner washers should in theory cover the edge of the dowels.

Top of my acoustic is all braced up. Ready to begin carving and such.

Neck carving, pickup and control cavity routing, binding, and heel shaping in the next few days.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Curious what your plans are after graduation? Will you stay here in the Phoenix area? Looking to get a repair gig at a shop, or start your own business?

Naturally, I'm asking these questions for purely selfish reasons :D

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
I'm mainly looking for a job in a small custom shop somewhere in the US. That or a repair tech apprenticeship.

I may very well start building on the side as a supplementary income. I have an idea for a company that uses only responsibly forested and locally sourced hardwoods for acoustics and electrics. There are quite a few awesome and gorgeous woods right here in north america. Our rainforests are already strained enough. I don't want to add to that.

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
Now we're getting somewhere!

Drilled holes where the knobs will be, bolted my neck on, and laid out the pickup locations.

Routed. No chipout. Woohoo!

Routed the rear control cavity. The cover will be held in place with magnets. Pretty swish if you ask me.

Laid out the lines to carve up the back.

Let the carving commence!

I was going to try to blend the heel of the body all the way into the neck but I didn't like how it was turning out. So i just cut it off.

More updates probably tomorrow.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late, but that inlay is badass. Are you gonna be doing it on the 7 string too?

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late, but that inlay is badass. Are you gonna be doing it on the 7 string too?

Thanks! and no, It will take too much time. I'm either doing no inlays or dot inlays in some interesting way. Offset or 'wave' pattern or something else. Suggestions welcome.

Looking great. Love the idea for the magnetic control cover.

Thanks! The magnetic control covers have actually been around a long time. More than 1/3rd of the class is doing magnetic covers. I thought they were pretty damn cool the first time I saw them. Also, this Saturday the school will be open to the public from 11am to 5 or 6 pm. You should swing by.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks! The magnetic control covers have actually been around a long time. More than 1/3rd of the class is doing magnetic covers. I thought they were pretty damn cool the first time I saw them. Also, this Saturday the school will be open to the public from 11am to 5 or 6 pm. You should swing by.

Ah damn! GF's out of town, so I'm alone with the dog this weekend. Unless pets are allowed, I'm kinda stuck at home >.<

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
There's some festival going on along grand ave on the weekend. the school is included. I'm not certain about pets though.

jeremyb

Reaction score
Wow dude, amazing work, really looking forward to more progress pics!!!

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
Subbed!
Damn good work there.

What will you do with power tools once you're out of the workshop?

ara_

Reaction score
I vote for offset dots for the 7 string! maybe offset to the bass string side, and also towards the bridge side (next to the higher of the two frets)

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
Can you talk us through the bracing pattern on the acoustic, please?

We use a standard X bracing pattern. Martin, Guild, Breedlove, Taylor, etc use the same bracing pattern with minor variations. I will also post more pictures of my acoustic top soon. The bottom of the soundboard side braces have a 30' radius and are then glued in at a 50' radius to pre-load tension onto the top. It helps with volume and sustain. It also helps to prevent cracking in drier climates. The back braces have a 15' radius. I haven't gone more in depth since this is a seven string electric forum. :)

Subbed!
Damn good work there.

What will you do with power tools once you're out of the workshop?

Keep them, of course!

I vote for offset dots for the 7 string! maybe offset to the bass string side, and also towards the bridge side (next to the higher of the two frets)

Noted. I like offset dots. But they will more than likely be in the middle since the frets are angled. Not quite sure how good the offset dots will look when angled with the frets.

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
Started hanging my guitar in the gallery to minimize dings and such. Now I'd say it's starting to look like a guitar.

Finished neck profile is a crowd-pleasing .850" at the 1st fret and .90" at the 12th starting with a C profile and flattening to a D around the 7th fret.

Control cavity cover was yes.

Top braces for my acoustic are carved. If you'd like a more detailed explanation on how we're building these acoustics, PM me. I'll answer what I can.

7 string strandberg "Ouro" has commenced..

I used WAY too much gorilla glue here. This stuff is about the consistency of cold honey and I'm only used to using titebond. I told myself it's better to have too much than not enough.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
You mean all the power tools are yours? Not the workshop's?
I was wondering how big a part does the workshop play into the build process.

And that acoustic carve came out looking gorgeous :yesway: