Roberto-Venn builds: Acoustic, Blackmachine, Strandberg content

• Thread starter 9voltchicken
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was actually considering heading out there next year but I dunno.
It doesn't seem worth the $20k (tools, tuition, living) to go to the desert to work my ass off to learn stuff I can learn with some guy in a month.

How're the instructors? You can't order wood? THAT'S EVIL How much help do you receive?
etc etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
You mean all the power tools are yours? Not the workshop's?
I was wondering how big a part does the workshop play into the build process.

And that acoustic carve came out looking gorgeous :yesway:

Oh, I thought you were talking about the tools I purchased for the course. Having a plethora of shop tools to work with cuts down completion time a great deal. The tools that see the most use from me are the edge sanders, spindle sanders, disc sanders, thickness sanders, band saws, and routers. Each of those I plan on purchasing on my own at some point.

Thanks, I didn't think I would enjoy learning how to build acoustics as much as I am.

I was actually considering heading out there next year but I dunno.
It doesn't seem worth the $20k (tools, tuition, living) to go to the desert to work my ass off to learn stuff I can learn with some guy in a month.

How're the instructors? You can't order wood? THAT'S EVIL How much help do you receive?
etc etc

If you would seriously consider doing tech work or building guitars for a living I would suggest going through the trouble to go to this school. The main school itself moved into a new building two years ago and has improved immensely from what I've heard. The course covers everything from designing a body/headstock to spraying the finish coat of lacquer. The same goes for acoustics, although you are more limited design wise. Along the way you will learn about how to repair/rewire, re-fret, and re-finish guitars. Not to mention the friends you will make and the stories you will walk away with.

The school atmosphere is pretty relaxed in general. You are encouraged to treat the school as a jobsite with an emphasis on building a couple of kickass guitars. The instructors themselves are a joy to work with. As far as 1 on 1 instruction there is some, but mainly to check your work before proceeding to the next phase or answering questions about particular details or methods. As far as I know this school is the only accredited school for luthiery in the nation. I guarantee you will learn more about guitars in general in this class than in a guy's garage.

Reaction score
Repair and fretwork and basically some stuff like figuring out ideal string placement are all I really have that many questions about.. I've learned a loooot on the internet. (75% from this site :lol: )

I'm not sure that I want to build for a living, maybe as a secondary income, but I looove the idea of building.

It is the only accredited school.. I just fear it will be like high school where I'm only learning a little bit I didn't know before.

The guided building and stuff seems really neat.. But I dunno about having to save extreme amounts of cash.

I'm so on the fence :/

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Repair and fretwork and basically some stuff like figuring out ideal string placement are all I really have that many questions about.. I've learned a loooot on the internet. (75% from this site :lol: )

I'm not sure that I want to build for a living, maybe as a secondary income, but I looove the idea of building.

It is the only accredited school.. I just fear it will be like high school where I'm only learning a little bit I didn't know before.

The guided building and stuff seems really neat.. But I dunno about having to save extreme amounts of cash.

The school in Red Wing, MN has an excellent program (but crappy website). My friend graduated from there many years ago, and has been working at Paul Reed Smith ever since.

http://www.redwingmusicrepair.org/guitar/index.html

Unfortunately, it's in Minnesota :wallbash:

But, if you're only wanting to build guitars primarily for enjoyment, these schools are probably overkill for you. However, if you're looking for a serious career, the certificate/degree you'll earn (not to mention personal and professional connections you'll make) will prove very valuable in getting a job... or starting your own business.

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score

I know what you mean. Before I went to this school I had already built a guitar. A good deal of this is a rehash for me. But I still have learned a great deal as well as refined my process. Probably the biggest boon I have experienced in this class is the connections I've established and the certificate I will receive. This industry is so incredibly tiny in relation to everything else that connections mean everything. Plan ahead. Figure out where your passions lay. Just my :2c:.

You can also drop by the school pretty much any time and chat with Bart or another instructor to find out more.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek: Amazing work - looks absolutely stunning :yesway:

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Probably the biggest boon I have experienced in this class is the connections I've established and the certificate I will receive. This industry is so incredibly tiny in relation to everything else that connections mean everything.

+1 that right there. Probably one of the biggest benefits of going to a school vs. self-teaching. Networking is so incredibly important and helpful to one's career.

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
Haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the strandberg this week. Been focused primarily on finishing up my student electric. It's pretty much ready for lacquer at this point.

Neck blank for Ouro is ready to go! I cut up some nice flamed maple for the stringers. This neck blank rings like a bell. Very nice.

Hooray Ivoroid binding.

Frets are going in.

bouVIP

Reaction score
Really loving your builds! That inlay is gorgeous too.

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
Just curious, are you tapping the frets in by hand, or are you allowed to use a press?

I use a fretting hammer from stewmac to pound the frets in. Then clamp them down and shoot some super glue down the slot. worked well.

Loving the progress shots.

I can't just drop in because I live across the country :p

Sorry, I thought I was quoting webmaestro for some reason :scratch:

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
Things are coming together in a big way. My guitar may actually be playable in a week.

Doing back and top glue-ups is actually quite terrifying.

My acoustic label in its final resting place.

Ready for lacquer

First coat of vynyl sealer and wash coat. Spraying lacquer is more difficult than I thought. Especially on the inside of the horns.

Cut up the neck blank into something more manageable and oiled a scrap to test finish options. Doesn't look too shabby to me. 56k beware...

Reaction score
Looking great.
That label
what?

Also, I don't get 56k jokes :( unless it's about internet speeds? :confused:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Looking great, and digging the label. Also "Honor thy stick" made me chuckle. :lol:

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
Now that the hardware has finally arrived, progress on Ouro can begin in earnest.

Hooray truss rod slot!

This hardware is crazy light. About 4oz including screws.

TheHumanMeat

Reaction score
I live in far north scottsdale and have been wanting to become a lutheir for a really long time now and actually stopped by the school a few months ago. I plan on going to that school next august and absolutely cant wait. I was also thinking about making a blackmachine styled guitar. I'm so glad to see you posting your experience of it before I run in there.

P.S. I love that inlay idea.