Sad NGD... The RGA8' saddle has broken...

• Thread starter Joakingg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joakingg

Reaction score
Hi dudes! Today it was going to be a special day because i were going to receive my guitar. And I have done lots of pics during the unboxing, etc...
But it was a sad day.
The saddle of the Fx-edge8 has broken when i replaced the 8 string for a 0.80 gauge (for DropE).
I have send an email to the shop to look for the solutions.
foto0093oj.jpg

foto0092m.jpg

Thanks for reading dudes :( (My first 8strings xperience)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
It is a common problem, at least after months of use it happens to quite a few people. You were probably trying to tighten it up too much, if it really just happened on the first day that you got this guitar.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Blurry pictures, but enough to tell the whole story. So the head of the bolt broke off. Fortunately it's not quite the same as a broken saddle.

A skilled repair person should be able to get it out without damaging the screw thread by attaching something to the broken screw that can be used to get grip on it, then twist out the broken piece. Or insert a new screw thread and screw that is slightly larger. In the worst case the whole saddle would need replacement. It can't be expensive.

Despite what people say, I strongly recommend no thicker strings than 0.074 on an RGA8. 80's don't fit through the nut without modification, so without modification it goes sharp whenever you fret a note.

And then there's the bridge. It seems as if you used excessive force after a few failed attempts to keep that string in the bridge. I broke three 0.080's before the fourth finally stayed in place. I noticed that tightening the saddle would push the 0.080 out. Then I played a few hours with it and took it out. Just too much hassle.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Come on guys. Give him a break. Dude just got his first 8 string and it broke on him before he really got to play the thing.

Joakingg, that can be fixed. Either by a new saddle, or carefully drilling out the hex bolt and using an extractor to remove. I'm sure there are other ways but I've never had that problem. Maybe the shop can help you out. Hope you get it fixed.

tm20

Reaction score
i've also got an RGA8.....i'll be extra careful when i replace my strings O_O

Joakingg

Reaction score
Thanks for the answering dudes :yesway:

Sorry for my pics again.
Yep, affortunately it is a screw problem and not the saddle but i dont know if someone near my location could fix it.
Maybe i tightened too much, but the 0.80 string didnt get fixed when i was tuning it. So i was thinking to tight enough for the bridge to stand the string.
It seems that there is a small line between the strings get fixed and the screws breaks.
If i have to remove the saddle and installing another one... is that hard?
Should i replace the screws with someones with better quality?

Thanks you

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Most hardware sotres should have a screw that will fit. I've used them before when mine started to get all crappy looking. Works for floyd locking pad replacement also. Take one out and go to the hardware store with your guitar and have them match one up so it fits correctly. Just be VERY careful about over tightening because a better grade hex bolt with strip the threads out of the saddle. (Which is a problem i DID have once. lol)

Corrosion

RooR
Reaction score
Ah, the return of the white "metal". I have no idea what they make the bridges out of, but whatever it is, it is some garbage. Luckily, the guitar is easily fixable.

NoMod

Reformed misanthrope
Reaction score
Not so much that 'it' has broken, more like 'you' have broken it - it takes a fair amount of force over and above what is required to tighten the screw to shear it off like that. There is such a thing as overtightening when it comes to threads.

The urge to overtighten the screw can be avoided by using the long end of the allen key in the socket - then you only have an inch or so of lever to apply force with.

I had a similar problem with the string slipping out of the saddle on that bridge - for strings that large I recommend you squash the end flat with pliers first rather than relying on the small screw and saddle to do it all for you...fortunately for you that is a simple screw replacement job by the looks of it, at worst a new saddle.

Sorry your NGD didn't go so well dude :(

Joakingg

Reaction score
Nomod, i used the allen key the wrong way. Thanks for the advice i was scared this would happen to me for the rest of the guitar' life.

Does anyone how to replace those saddles? Could I do it by myself?:bowdown:

Thanks dudes, You are beeing really helpfull and im feeling better because of you.

PD: Lucky me, the string got installed so the saddle' bolt is broken but i can play the guitar. But im scared for replacing the 7th stings (for a 0.59) because maybe i should send the guitar far (loosing another string).

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Ughhh....brutal news dude :noway:

i also have RGA8 i feel your pain, that thing's my baby! Don't have anything to add to what's already been said except that i hope she gets fixed soon... and a lesson learned i guess.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Maybe i tightened too much, but the 0.80 string didnt get fixed when i was tuning it. So i was thinking to tight enough for the bridge to stand the string.

If i have to remove the saddle and installing another one... is that hard?
Should i replace the screws with someones with better quality?

This is so awesome, I can finally quote myself :lol::

I noticed that tightening the saddle would push the 0.080 out.

So no matter how much you tighten it, the saddle has not enough string to grip. No more 0.080's for you.

Installing a new saddle is easy, just loosen the intonation screw on top of the saddle (under the string) and take it out.