What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I'd love to hear a review!

Trying to decide if I'm willing to pull the trigger on the JR6. Although I'd likely have to sell off my JP6 though. What are your thoughts on your JR7?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Curiosity got the best of me and I bought the Large Mouse module for my Asabi since Sweetwater had it for $37 and I had a small gift card. Hopefully it's better than the Guv'nor module so I can keep the pedal on my board cause I do really like the boost side and I've been wanting to try a RAT.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye out for a deal on a fretless bass to do some Jaco stuff and I found a german warwick fretless corvette from guitar center for like $850. Looked very clean from the pics so hopefully the fretboard isn't too chewed up when it arrives.

Don't worry too much, fixing divots from strings on fretless boards is super easy, and it can be a good opportunity to change the radius to something more comfy if you so desire.

Those German Corvettes are tanks though. You have to actively try to fuck them up. Nice score.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I'd love to hear a review!

Trying to decide if I'm willing to pull the trigger on the JR6. Although I'd likely have to sell off my JP6 though. What are your thoughts on your JR7?
It's a really great guitar minus the stock pickups kind of sucking. The bridge pickup is way too hot and flubby. The boost knob is fucking stupid unless you're using the split coils. Neck pickup is fine for lead wankery. Cleans are fine but nothing special.
Mine has really nice figuring on the top whereas a lot of the other JR7s I've seen have pretty mediocre buckeye burl. The trem is very smooth and the guitar holds tuning really well even with a good amount of trem abuse. The neck has a really nice caramel color from the roasting that brings out the birdseye figuring even more. It has a very fast shreddy feeling neck with a smaller D shape.

If you already like EBMM guitars then you'll like the JR. I can't say it'd be a step up from a JP other than in aesthetics though.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Typically not my thing but gonna give this guy a try:

b39add54c0fac517b848758b169a082e53e935.jpg

narad

Reaction score
Damn that is sweet!

My first Norlin era.

Turned out to be a busy night. Also grabbed a TC integrated pre and an ESP Mighty Vice, which is a super wonky self contained floyd unit that attaches to TOM bridges. Wonder if I attach it to the horizon I have for sale if I'll actually get someone to buy it.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My first Norlin era.

Turned out to be a busy night. Also grabbed a TC integrated pre and an ESP Mighty Vice, which is a super wonky self contained floyd unit that attaches to TOM bridges. Wonder if I attach it to the horizon I have for sale if I'll actually get someone to buy it.

Damn that is awesome!

4Eyes

Reaction score
Scored an old OEM version of Electro Voice EVM 12L, supposedly taken from an old Mesa cab. Going to put it probably into HB TL806 rip off, it doesn't make any sense to bother with build when they sell empty cabs for 118,-EUR

Attachments

• dc473d29-d4dd-436c-9fed-78c461609780.jpg
    dc473d29-d4dd-436c-9fed-78c461609780.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 8311796e-f951-46ec-af7b-8d34b927f4a9.jpg
    8311796e-f951-46ec-af7b-8d34b927f4a9.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 2

narad

Reaction score
Sweet! What year? Is it one of the mythical Yamano ones? idk what yamano really is, just asking since you're in Japan lol.

1982. Well before Yamano as far as I know.

I don't know the details, but I think that was like mid-1990s stuff. The TGP story goes like, Japanese are so discerning when it comes to the quality of the instruments that the dealer emphasized that only the nicest stuff went out to him. It's got all the tell-tale signs of hog-wash, from racist generalizations to shady dealings, and I hear it mostly in for sale ads.

My personal belief in trying out a bunch of historic level LPs here is that around 2014 is where they really started kicking out super high quality stuff. I'll basically buy one sight unseen, I've been so consistently impressed by the ones in the big shops here. But I've played some 90s/00s stuff I didn't feel was so worthwhile.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Theres a natural 76 lpc for $5800cad a couple hours from me, but i just know the necks can be on the too slim side for me to be terribly interested in most of them :/.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Japanese are so discerning when it comes to the quality of the instruments that the dealer emphasized that only the nicest stuff went out to him. It's got all the tell-tale signs of hog-wash, from racist generalizations to shady dealings, and I hear it mostly in for sale ads.
I don't understand how Japan ended up with so many of these kind of generalizations 😂
My personal belief in trying out a bunch of historic level LPs here is that around 2014 is where they really started kicking out super high quality stuff. I'll basically buy one sight unseen, I've been so consistently impressed by the ones in the big shops here. But I've played some 90s/00s stuff I didn't feel was so worthwhile.
I have no first hand experience, but rhetoric I've seen agrees with you the more modern stuff has been more than fine.
I feel like the narrative on Norlin era Gibsons has flipped, too, and people praising them for being good players. I'll be curious to know what you think of yours!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have no first hand experience, but rhetoric I've seen agrees with you the more modern stuff has been more than fine.
I feel like the narrative on Norlin era Gibsons has flipped, too, and people praising them for being good players. I'll be curious to know what you think of yours!

The Norlin flip is easy to understand, all the 80s guitar gods played them because they were cheap and easy to get and everybody has realized it now. So the guitar snobs changed their tunes on the construction when they realized Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, John Sykes, etc all played them and sounded amazing. I'm actually kind of shocked Gibson hasn't added a Norlin to the historic line with the maple neck etc

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The Norlin flip is easy to understand, all the 80s guitar gods played them because they were cheap and easy to get and everybody has realized it now. So the guitar snobs changed their tunes on the construction when they realized Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, John Sykes, etc all played them and sounded amazing. I'm actually kind of shocked Gibson hasn't added a Norlin to the historic line with the maple neck etc
They did a 1974 lpc reissue with pancake body.. and mahogany neck :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, bring back the Wylde without the graphics. Those things fucking kill!

Exactly. Which is basically the late Norlin spec, still maple neck but IIRC without the pancake body. Or hell even with the pancake body, just start selling the damn things. It's ridiculous you can get an Epiphone with those specs but not an actual Gibson.