SC608B wood and other questions

rootsney

Reaction score
So I just ebay'd myself an SC608B and I've been restlessly looking into the guitar while I wait for it to cross the continent. I've noticed that on the ESP website the body material is listed as alder, whereas many other websites say that it is mahogany. I'm assuming that maybe older models were mahogany, but I don't know for sure. Also, if anyone with experience with the guitar could fill me in with how well it stays in tune when at the low E I'd appreciate it. I plan to tune it EAEADF#BE, but the heaviest string I can find without going into bass strings are .76. Will the ESP tuners handle the tuning, and will they fit huge strings without the need to drill?

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go with the official website, that's FAR more likely to be accurate. I know mine didn't feel like it was a heavy piece of Mahogany.

I tuned mine to low E once (drop E to be more specific) and it held the pretty good, not perfect though. I used a D'Addario .080 guitar string, and just unwrapped the end to fit through the tuner. The reason it wasn't staying in tune perfect was because the nut needed to be modified slightly to fit the larger string properly. Since I was just experimenting with the low E I didn't want to permanently alter it.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Go with the official website, that's FAR more likely to be accurate. I know mine didn't feel like it was a heavy piece of Mahogany.

I tuned mine to low E once (drop E to be more specific) and it held the pretty good, not perfect though. I used a D'Addario .080 guitar string, and just unwrapped the end to fit through the tuner. The reason it wasn't staying in tune perfect was because the nut needed to be modified slightly to fit the larger string properly. Since I was just experimenting with the low E I didn't want to permanently alter it.

What he said. Also, bass strings will work perfectly fine, too. To my knowledge, the core of an .080 bass string and .080 guitar string are the same, so it shouldn't alter your tone much.

I've used a .074 for a low E briefly on a 26.5" scale, and it held up. I'd suggest a .065 and .080, though.

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
i have a 28.65 Septor, and have a 74 on there right now in E and F. also have an 80. im using d'addario xl nickelwound. they are acoustic/electric and the 74 and 80s have a tapering end so i didnt have to unwrap or anything.

im prefering the 74 though, as the 80 just seems to thick for its length

Matt-Hatchett

Reaction score
I have this guitar and I love everything about it. Good score man. I play .70 and it sounds sick. I tune EAEADGBE. I have a Vader 4x12 cab though,so that probably helps with my bottom end. Hope this helped!