Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mastapimp

Reaction score
Sadly, not only does GC use UPS (not quite as easy as Fedex), it sounds from what was said above that they even specifically restrict changes or reroutes on their orders.
That plus not requesting a signature...recipe for disaster.

I've run into the problem with "restrictions" once before and it can be overridden through customer service. You just have to talk to someone on the phone if the service is unavailable in the My Choice UPS options...a bit of a hassle, but it's still doable. I agree with the signature required part...should be mandatory for these kind of things.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Contact corporate, that's horseshit.

Packages can have restrictions, but file a police report and contact Paypal to dispute the charge. You're covered for situations like these, because the sender didn't opt for the 2 basic layers of shipment protection. I won't buy from them anymore if that's how they're handling their shipments.

Can you provide any photos of the torn box?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the box. The first one is basically how I found it.

49985345088_bb8b98a6d0_b.jpg

49986116842_6d5f63ec63_b.jpg

49986116677_ef5d49fb23_b.jpg

As a quick update. I'm waiting to hear back from my landlord as they check the cameras. I filed a dispute with PayPal, so now I'm waiting for them to contact Guitar Center. I also got off the phone with UPS to file a claim. They took my information and said they would get back to me. I guess all I can do is wait and see now. As far as I can tell, I've done everything I could possibly do from my end.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I had a situation with GC and UPS where the package wasn't delivered, but GC and UPS essentially just told me that it was the other side's fault for losing my shit for about 2 months until GC actually caved and sent me a brand new one (KRK Rokit monitor). Now what I didn't expect was for the original one to also show up about 5 months later as it was delivered to god knows where but never signed for or actually scanned as delivered. It was a whole mess but I hope for you it's a bit more cut and dry that this needs resolved. Ugh.

kaossurge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys, a couple questions.
If I was able to get a Mk-II and a MK-III Standard for the same price, is the Mk-II the better guitar? I'm asking due to the fact that the MK-II seems to cost more than the MK-III.

Also, I noticed that some MK-II have SD and some have Fishman, but I don't notice a difference in model. What dictates this difference?

kaossurge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys, a couple questions.
If I was able to get a Mk-II and a MK-III Standard for the same price, is the Mk-II the better guitar? I'm asking due to the fact that the MK-II seems to cost more than the MK-III.

Also, I noticed that some MK-II have SD and some have Fishman, but I don't notice a difference in model. What dictates this difference?
Well, I did some research and it seems the MK-II is the better buy than the Mk-III standard, seeing as the MK-II has Fishman pickups, locking tuners, hip shot bridge and is neck through, as opposed to the Schecter pickups/hardware and bolt on of the MK-III standard. The reason I was asking is because Musician's Friend has the MK-II for $699, and from what I see on the market, that seems to be a very good deal. So heads up if anyone is interested, mine has been ordered.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Well, I did some research and it seems the MK-II is the better buy than the Mk-III standard, seeing as the MK-II has Fishman pickups, locking tuners, hip shot bridge and is neck through, as opposed to the Schecter pickups/hardware and bolt on of the MK-III standard. The reason I was asking is because Musician's Friend has the MK-II for $699, and from what I see on the market, that seems to be a very good deal. So heads up if anyone is interested, mine has been ordered.

Good choice!
Yes, the MK-II is the better guitar (build and components). They are probably on sale because they are an 'older model' and they're trying to sell off their stock. The MK-III Standard is a lower-end version of the MK-III. I've heard its still a good guitar though! But yeah, the MK-II for that price is killer!

kaossurge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good choice!
Yes, the MK-II is the better guitar (build and components). They are probably on sale because they are an 'older model' and they're trying to sell off their stock. The MK-III Standard is a lower-end version of the MK-III. I've heard its still a good guitar though! But yeah, the MK-II for that price is killer!
I was already considering the MK-III Standard, as the Artist was out of my price range. Was about to go ahead with a B-Stock MK-III standard that's on reverb for $720 when I saw this on Musician's Friend, they must have recently gone on sale because with amount of times I've searched "KM-7" it would have shown up. Seems as though I was now able to get an Artist quality guitar (in terms of build and components) for similar to what I would have paid for the Standard by going MK-II. Given that guitars don't really change THAT much even over decades, I'm hoping i'm not missing out on much features by going with the "older" model. This is my first 7-string, so I'm pretty excited. Seems as though they're selling used for more than what I paid for it at this point, so hoping I like it, but in the case that I don't, I guess it shouldn't be that big of a deal in swapping it for something else. Would have preferred the transparent black, but the natural finish is already growing on me. It actually matches my Schecter Stiletto Custom-5 Bass, which is pretty cool. Think I made a good impulse buy.

sleewell

Reaction score
i'm still really loving my km7. i have the lambo blue one w FR and sustainiac.

i'd like to get another in a different color. anyone know a better place to look, i cant find any. reverb, ebay, gc used... all i can find is one lefty. were these done in smaller batches or something??

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I was already considering the MK-III Standard, as the Artist was out of my price range. Was about to go ahead with a B-Stock MK-III standard that's on reverb for $720 when I saw this on Musician's Friend, they must have recently gone on sale because with amount of times I've searched "KM-7" it would have shown up. Seems as though I was now able to get an Artist quality guitar (in terms of build and components) for similar to what I would have paid for the Standard by going MK-II. Given that guitars don't really change THAT much even over decades, I'm hoping i'm not missing out on much features by going with the "older" model. This is my first 7-string, so I'm pretty excited. Seems as though they're selling used for more than what I paid for it at this point, so hoping I like it, but in the case that I don't, I guess it shouldn't be that big of a deal in swapping it for something else. Would have preferred the transparent black, but the natural finish is already growing on me. It actually matches my Schecter Stiletto Custom-5 Bass, which is pretty cool. Think I made a good impulse buy.

I'm not an expert on the models but as far as I am aware the MK-III has a different body carve (and a different neck shape I believe). When it comes to the MK-III Standard you're getting lower end hardware/spec. So the only 'real' thing you're missing between the MKII and the MKIII standard is really the slightly different neck and the different body shape/carve.

GustavoGP

Reaction score
MK-II has stainless steel frets
MK-III Standard hasn't ss frets
For me that's the most important difference between high-end vs the rest.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
I don't know if this trend of multipiece exotic textured wood necks is going to last, but it's pretty neat to be able to get those kinda affordable with things like the Schecter or RG premiums that offer them (albeit a bit less affordable with the Mark IIIs). Was certainly something extremely boutique just a couple of years back.

actually its been a trend in basses for a long time probably 3-4 decades almost , and it just finally moved over to guitars this last decade.

kaossurge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
MK-II has stainless steel frets
MK-III Standard hasn't ss frets
For me that's the most important difference between high-end vs the rest.
Are the SD or fishman considered the better pickup? Just curious that MF put the fishman mk-ii for sale but not the SD.

Down-Nola

Reaction score

Thanks for posting this, went ahead and grabbed one myself. Was looking for a 7 string with SS frets, Fishmans and a Hipshot. Didn’t really want another sig model but this checked all the boxes. Great price with all the features.

kaossurge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, went ahead and grabbed one myself. Was looking for a 7 string with SS frets, Fishmans and a Hipshot. Didn’t really want another sig model but this checked all the boxes. Great price with all the features.
Yeah man, it’s such a good deal, it makes me suspicious of the quality but everyone seems to have positive reviews. Even if I don’t like it, it seems I could probably make a profit selling it once MF sells out their stock, but I’m just hoping I like it and keep it permanently as my first 7 string. I wanted the black but the natural is growing on me more and more every time I look at pictures, Looks like we will both have NGD soon.

stinkoman

Reaction score
Good news! PayPal closed the case in my favor and will be refunding me the money. Screw Guitar Center, I'll never buy from them online again.
Glad you got it sorted out! Did you ever hear back from your apartment with the camera’s?