Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted out! Did you ever hear back from your apartment with the camera’s?
My idiot landlord was dodging both me and the detective helping me out. I finally received an email back yesterday claiming that the building's internet was down for three days and just happened to be down during the time the package was delivered... absolutely ridiculous. I can't wait to leave Chicago next month, I'm so done with this place. Too many assholes in this city.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
My idiot landlord was dodging both me and the detective helping me out. I finally received an email back yesterday claiming that the building's internet was down for three days and just happened to be down during the time the package was delivered... absolutely ridiculous. I can't wait to leave Chicago next month, I'm so done with this place. Too many assholes in this city.

What are the odds that your landlord was the one who pinched the guitar?

Mraz

Reaction score
Quick question:
What are the main differences between:
Schecter KM 7 MKII STPB and the Schecter Keith Merrow KM-7 MK-III TBB?

Both seem the same to me more or less.. same pickups.. different control layout tho..

Is the MK III worth the 500€ price-up?

kaossurge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, I joined the club.
Now to figure out what to do with this extra string.
IMG_7360.jpg
AIKcvp4

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Man I would’ve loved a standard “not tweaked to artist specs” version of the MkII, such a sick guitar.

mbardu

Reaction score
Man I would’ve loved a standard “not tweaked to artist specs” version of the MkII, such a sick guitar.

What's bothering you about the specs?

The only thing I would have kinda missed if mine were a "main" guitar would be the lack of tone control, but for its application I wouldn't use it now anyways. For the rest, I can't really think of a single "bad" spec. Doesn't even look like a signature either - it's kind of subdued in person.

Noisy Humbucker

Reaction score
What's bothering you about the specs?

The only thing I would have kinda missed if mine were a "main" guitar would be the lack of tone control, but for its application I wouldn't use it now anyways. For the rest, I can't really think of a single "bad" spec. Doesn't even look like a signature either - it's kind of subdued in person.

That’s just it - there’s nothing “bad”. There is however something very specifically different - the location of the bridge pickup.

That’s not intended as a complaint, the resulting tone just doesn’t suit my tastes and unlike many (arguably inferior) sigs, there no “standard” near-equivalent. The neck on the MkII is crazy and the beveled body is super comfortable (even more so than the MkIII for me).

I actually looked into modifying the rout, but unless I committed to a full refinish I would’ve just destroyed an otherwise beautiful guitar.

EDIT: Don’t anybody let me rain on your NGD. Congratulations on picking up a very special axe!

Last edited:

mbardu

Reaction score
That’s just it - there’s nothing “bad”. There is however something very specifically different - the location of the bridge pickup.

That’s not intended as a complaint, the resulting tone just doesn’t suit my tastes and unlike many (arguably inferior) sigs, there no “standard” near-equivalent. The neck on the MkII is crazy and the beveled body is super comfortable (even more so than the MkIII for me).

I actually looked into modifying the rout, but unless I committed to a full refinish I would’ve just destroyed an otherwise beautiful guitar.

EDIT: Don’t anybody let me rain on your NGD. Congratulations on picking up a very special axe!

What's so bad or different about the bridge pickup placement?
The distance from pickup coils to bridge saddle is not that special..

Noisy Humbucker

Reaction score
What's so bad or different about the bridge pickup placement?
The distance from pickup coils to bridge saddle is not that special..

Believe it or not it actually makes a big difference, and I’d bet Keith himself would say so.

When he started working with Schecter on the MkI the first several prototypes had the bridge pickup in different locations relative to the bridge (even the prototype he used on the Conquering Dystopia album didn’t have it where it is now).

All of that said, most of “my” tone is influenced by stuff from the 90’s with the occasional dash of modern prog. To me, Keith’s is a hybrid of very modern tones with strong vintage underpinnings. Throw in the pickup location and (of course) his playing - you get a sound that’s very much his own.

EDIT: I’d imagine most people purchasing the guitar like modern tones (and more power to them!). That’s literally the only thing that didn’t do it for me.

Last edited:

mbardu

Reaction score
Believe it or not it actually makes a big difference, and I’d bet Keith himself would say so.

When he started working with Schecter on the MkI the first several prototypes had the bridge pickup in different locations relative to the bridge (even the prototype he used on the Conquering Dystopia album didn’t have it where it is now).

All of that said, most of “my” tone is influenced by stuff from the 90’s with the occasional dash of modern prog. To me, Keith’s is a hybrid of very modern tones with strong vintage underpinnings. Throw in the pickup location and (of course) his playing - you get a sound that’s very much his own.

I know what you are talking about. In particular the Mark 1 had a bunch of back and forth.
But the Mark 2 looks pretty normal and I just measured it- it's pretty standard compared to a bunch of other guitars I have next to it (in fact there are guitars with the bridge closer and guitars with the bridge farther).
What's bothering you? That it would be too close to the bridge? too far?

Noisy Humbucker

Reaction score
I know what you are talking about. In particular the Mark 1 had a bunch of back and forth.
But the Mark 2 looks pretty normal and I just measured it- it's pretty standard compared to a bunch of other guitars I have next to it (in fact there are guitars with the bridge closer and guitars with the bridge farther).
What's bothering you? That it would be too close to the bridge? too far?

Too close for my taste. I’d imagine that the tone changes exponentially the closer you get to the end of the string’s path, so every little bit counts.

xzacx

Reaction score
Too close for my taste. I’d imagine that the tone changes exponentially the closer you get to the end of the string’s path, so every little bit counts.

It looks further to me than even like a Les Paul, for example. What’s an example of a guitar that has the pickup far enough back? Just curious, this isn’t something I’ve ever paid much attention to.

Noisy Humbucker

Reaction score
It looks further to me than even like a Les Paul, for example. What’s an example of a guitar that has the pickup far enough back? Just curious, this isn’t something I’ve ever paid much attention to.

And honestly I wouldn’t (pay much attention) - if you like the guitar you like the guitar. I just realized that was the reason I didn’t gel with the tone after trying a few pickups (same with the MkI). On the MkIII I didn’t care for the shape of the forearm contour (or relative lack of one), makes it uncomfortable with my big ol’ belly. :lol:

If I tried another guitar that had it even closer and I loved the tone that’d be the end of it. I’ve just slowly started being able to quantify the details of my preferences in the last few years, and apparently this is one of them.

mbardu

Reaction score
And honestly I wouldn’t (pay much attention) - if you like the guitar you like the guitar. I just realized that was the reason I didn’t gel with the tone after trying a few pickups (same with the MkI). On the MkIII I didn’t care for the shape of the forearm contour (or relative lack of one), makes it uncomfortable with my big ol’ belly. :lol:

If I tried another guitar that had it even closer and I loved the tone that’d be the end of it. I’ve just slowly started being able to quantify the details of my preferences in the last few years, and apparently this is one of them.

That's fair if that's your preference. It will get brighter the closer the pickup gets to the bridge.
It's just not something that makes the KM "less regular" as a guitar though. As mentioned, a lot of guitars have that distance bigger or smaller.

So to my point, except for the lack of tone knob (that many people like, signature or not), the KM is actually among the less 'signatury' signatures.
No huge logo, no garish finish, no weird wood selections, nothing wrong with the neck profile, no larger omissions (such as no neck pickup) etc.
It's pretty subdued and 'standard' at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Latest posts