Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ReleasedtoReign

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I could’ve sworn I saw a thread started by KM himself yesterday that was some transcriptions of his songs that people have done and I thought his name on here was something like Diabolic5150 or something like that but I searched this morning all kinds of ways and can’t find it. If anyone knows where it is could you link it to me? Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalheadMC

Reaction score
I could’ve sworn I saw a thread started by KM himself yesterday that was some transcriptions of his songs that people have done and I thought his name on here was something like Diabolic5150 or something like that but I searched this morning all kinds of ways and can’t find it. If anyone knows where it is could you link it to me? Thanks.

All his new stuff will wind up on Sheet Happens

ReleasedtoReign

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
USA Schecters are fantastic and the Merrow I had was a great guitar, I just didn't jive with the pickups.
May I ask what you didn’t like about the pickups? One of the main reasons I was wanting one was it seemed like from what I’ve read and heard online the pickups were very versatile able to do any kind of genre well was is there something particularly offputting I should be aware of?

Der JD

Reaction score
I know a lot of people really like the KM Fluence pickups. Some don't. I'm part of the group that don't. For me, there's just something about the high end, maybe even high mids that is harsh and scratchy. Haven't been able to dial it out. I like the neck PU a lot, but the KM neck is just the same as an open core classic.

I have the Fluence Moderns in a different guitar and really like them. Again, some don't. Different strokes for different folks. Hell, for all I know it might be the guitars themselves vs. the pickups.

I know the KM bridge is just a tweaked open core classic but don't know exactly how it was "tweaked". Wondering how they really compare. Anybody tried both?

hamoftruth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always thought the older/bulkier looking model that came in Lambo Orange and Trans Black or White looked the coolest of his models. I've not had an opportunity to play one in-person however. I wonder what the neck profile is like, and if people find a difference in the overall attack/transients with set thru construction vs bolt-on?

TheRobotCow

Reaction score
Has anyone here played (or better yet own outright) one of the USA Custom Shop KM Mkiii’s?
I just bought an Ernie Ball Music Man Majesty 7 and am thinking of returning it and getting a KM7 mkiii instead.
I’m weighing getting one of the KM imports and a Fractal FM3 for about $2.9k vs getting one of the USA Custom Shop KM’s alone for about $3.5k.
I love the neck through comfort high up on the neck of my Majesty and I can’t afford the $5k-$6k USA KM7 Studio (the studio version is neckthru) so I would have to get a $3.5k USA KM7 Stage if I went USA build and it’s a bolt-on so I’m worried about how uncomfortable that might be going from neck through to bulky bolt-on does anyone have one or played one to tell me how bad it is? It looks thin compared to some bolt-on’s but still pretty bulky in the pictures.
I went to every guitar store within 50 miles and nobody has one or even a guitar that’s even slightly similar in any way for me to try out first.
Also if anyone has had a chance to A/B compare the import to the USA model any input on is the extra $1.5k worth it for the USA model especially considering it’s actually a downgrade from the comfortable neckthru to a bolt-on unless you pay another $2k more to get the studio version.
Very conflicted here any help would be appreciated.

I’ve also been looking for info on the Usa vs import line and a couple people that i’ve asked have said the import is a great guitar but the usa is on its own level with the main difference being fretwork and quality of the woods. I’ve yet to get my hands on my own km7 but im waiting till i finish school and order a usa pro in a custom color.

ReleasedtoReign

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve also been looking for info on the Usa vs import line and a couple people that i’ve asked have said the import is a great guitar but the usa is on its own level with the main difference being fretwork and quality of the woods. I’ve yet to get my hands on my own km7 but im waiting till i finish school and order a usa pro in a custom color.
Well…just so you all know I officially returned the Ernie Ball, my SW card was refunded and as soon as the funds have become available again then they will be charging it for the new guitar and shipping it to me. It’s got a friggin gorgeous top and I’m super psyched about it! Ironically enough my best friend (other than my wife) apparently got a 7 string Schecter for Father’s Day so you know what’s going to happen there lol.
Like I said I’m psyched and should have it within the next couple weeks at the most and I’ll let you all know how it fairs but I’m optimistically thinking it’s going to be of the same or better finest caliber as the Majesty was but even better for me because of the things I discovered I didn’t like about the Majesty. The only 2 things I’m a little apprehensive about are:
1. And to a much lesser degree this one is the comfortableness of the new scale length, really not actually worried about it in fact it’s one reason I wanted this guitar because I wasn’t real happy with the string tension or the sound/feel of the 7th string on the 25.5” scale of the other one and I know I’ll get used to it it should be negligible difference at first that I’ll quickly adapt to just like I did going from 6 to 7 strings…
2. This one is the bigger one but I’m being optimistic that it’ll actually be a good thing for me overall and improve my playing after the adjustment if I can make it: the extra jumbo frets. I have a tendency to make my arm and hand cramp by choking the guitar neck I have a real death grip at times and as a result anytime I briefly picked up a guitar with jumbo/extra jumbo or whatever frets like that I quickly put it down because I didn’t understand at the time what the purpose of them was and I was pressing too hard and making the notes sharp and making it hard on myself trying to touch the wood like normal etc… Now that I understand that whole aspect of it I hope it’ll help me loosen my grip and lighten up which theoretically should actually improve my playing and make me able to play longer without cramping up, hell maybe that won’t even happen anymore after a while right! We will see I will either make it work and fall in love with it or I won’t but again I believe I have it in me to make the adjustment and benefit from it.
Other than the foreign scale length and super jumbo frets everything else is well within my realm and the guitar looks to be a real one of a kind gem, I’ve looked up every picture I could find of every other one of that model and finish and none of them look anything like mine. They’re all unique tops I know but this one is amazing in my opinion anyways (they sent me high def photos of the one that is reserved for me).

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I know a lot of people really like the KM Fluence pickups. Some don't. I'm part of the group that don't. For me, there's just something about the high end, maybe even high mids that is harsh and scratchy. Haven't been able to dial it out. I like the neck PU a lot, but the KM neck is just the same as an open core classic.

I have the Fluence Moderns in a different guitar and really like them. Again, some don't. Different strokes for different folks. Hell, for all I know it might be the guitars themselves vs. the pickups.

I know the KM bridge is just a tweaked open core classic but don't know exactly how it was "tweaked". Wondering how they really compare. Anybody tried both?
The Merrow neck pickup is actually an Open Core Classic.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Judging by what I've always heard about them, they're similar to the the Classic, just with the voicings reversed (Voice 2 is default) and Voice 2 having more low mids.

Partario

Reaction score
Just dropped my KM7 MKiii Artist off at the shop for some work

-I put some Dimarzio fusion edge 7 pickups in, which I'm liking way more than the Fishmans. He's going to use the extra mini switch for some phase coil split stuff

-New bone nut. I didn't have good luck with the compensated nut, the strings were binding up while tuning and I can't get it intonated

-Relocate the horn strap button. I use Schaller locks and the thing nosedives like crazy. He's going to try to recess it into the horn. We'll see.

-Pure Tone output jack (had it sitting around, why not)

-Full fret dress and setup. The frets are fine but this guy has done great work on my other guitars so I told him to go for it.

I've had the guitar for a couple years and these were the only things bugging me. I'll report back when it's done!

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Just dropped my KM7 MKiii Artist off at the shop for some work

-I put some Dimarzio fusion edge 7 pickups in, which I'm liking way more than the Fishmans. He's going to use the extra mini switch for some phase coil split stuff

-New bone nut. I didn't have good luck with the compensated nut, the strings were binding up while tuning and I can't get it intonated

-Relocate the horn strap button. I use Schaller locks and the thing nosedives like crazy. He's going to try to recess it into the horn. We'll see.

-Pure Tone output jack (had it sitting around, why not)

-Full fret dress and setup. The frets are fine but this guy has done great work on my other guitars so I told him to go for it.

I've had the guitar for a couple years and these were the only things bugging me. I'll report back when it's done!
Cool.

How did you come about choosing Dimarzio Fusion Edge's? I haven't played them myself but I hear a lot of people tend not to like them. I'd like to hear what qualities they have that you like.

Partario

Reaction score
Cool.

How did you come about choosing Dimarzio Fusion Edge's? I haven't played them myself but I hear a lot of people tend not to like them. I'd like to hear what qualities they have that you like.
The stock pickups sounded really compressed, quiet and stiff on my rig and on my amp sims for recording, so I wanted to get some passives in asap. My buddy had just got an RG7620 and put in aftermaths so I nabbed his edges.

They don’t have the note separation that my other guitars with bnucks have under heavy gain, but besides that they sound great for djenty or chuggy metal tones, crunch tones, and cleans are super clean.

To me they are pretty well rounded, mid forward, somewhat modern sounding passives. I have Aftermaths and Coldsweats in my other guitars, and this one would probably rip with Coldsweats, but I’m not in any rush to put anything else in. They get me 90% of the way there, and that extra bit isn’t worth $300-400 for some nicer pickups.

They might get shat on because they’re a stock pickup, but they made my KM7 sound and feel so much better. Plus I can stash something in the battery compartment now.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
The stock pickups sounded really compressed, quiet and stiff on my rig and on my amp sims for recording, so I wanted to get some passives in asap. My buddy had just got an RG7620 and put in aftermaths so I nabbed his edges.

They don’t have the note separation that my other guitars with bnucks have under heavy gain, but besides that they sound great for djenty or chuggy metal tones, crunch tones, and cleans are super clean.

To me they are pretty well rounded, mid forward, somewhat modern sounding passives. I have Aftermaths and Coldsweats in my other guitars, and this one would probably rip with Coldsweats, but I’m not in any rush to put anything else in. They get me 90% of the way there, and that extra bit isn’t worth $300-400 for some nicer pickups.

They might get shat on because they’re a stock pickup, but they made my KM7 sound and feel so much better. Plus I can stash something in the battery compartment now.
Cool!
Definitely post pics when you can!

ReleasedtoReign

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got the USA KM7 Mkiii.
Absolutely in love with it but only had it a few days but have only played it maybe an hour total I’ve been working but tomorrow I start a three day weekend bet your ass I’m gonna be playing it a lot. By far and away the best feeling/playing guitar I’ve ever had, better than the EBMM Majesty 7 that I sent back to get this in every way including fit/finish/playability etc... Everything about this guitar screams USA made custom shop I’m highly impressed.
The only thing is I think the bridge pickup might not fully agree with me (I quite like the neck pickup for the most part) the bridge is wicked cool for metal but very abrasive for other things but then again it could be that it may just not agree with my amp/speaker which I’m selling anyways to get something else it’s been up for sale for weeks (currently using the 600w BIAS Head and a headrush FRFR speaker) I plan on getting something else once it sells, probably an FM3 but we’ll see. I’m going to take it to the local Guitar Center and plug it into a bunch of amps and modelers and see how it sounds on them all I may just need to find the right one and I want to give them some time to grow on me and worst case scenario is I put some other pickup/s in it, tons of options available and I would probably try a different fluence bridge pickup first because it’d be as easy as unplugging one and plugging in the new one and if that doesn’t work well for my ears there’s always my tried and true options I’ve used over the years.
I was greatly surprised by the frets, scale length and bolt-on neck. Almost no difference in feel with the frets (I can tell the difference but it took almost no adjustment to get used to it) and everything I read said with extra jumbo frets you don’t feel the wood but I do and I’m not pressing on them at all hardly it barely touches it but touches it nonetheless and either way it feels great. The scale length was super negligible in feel of where my fingers are but I can definitely feel the difference in string tension in a good way and hear it as a result as well, small difference but enough to matter and make me happy vs what I had. The bolt-on neck didn’t matter a bit because the guitar is so thin that even with the bolt-on it’s almost like the neck thru was in feel and plus if God forbid something happens to the neck I could get a new one, no need to worry.
I’m so glad I sent the Majesty back and got this USA Schecter and I’m definitely keeping it. I’ll post pictures tomorrow probably. I know some of you are probably laughing because it’s obviously honeymoon phase right now but I didn’t feel like this with the Majesty, I drooled over the looks of the Majesty when I got it and it felt great for the most part but this gorgeous USA Schecter is superior to me in every way.