Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
What did you mod?
“Tricked out” is probably overselling it, but I popped in a zebra Fluence Classic set that really set off the maple binding (had a black pearl like the one Jazzy posted). That and I was proud of myself for getting a freeway switch wired up properly (though not without help) so the controls looked stock but I could access all three voices.

And I agree 100% with @HeHasTheJazzHands and @KnightBrolaire - the MkII contours were super comfy compared to the MkIII (especially if you have a big ‘ol belly like me :lol:).

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Beveled guitars got a lot of shit here for awhile, but when they actually LOOK great (and not unmatching like Kiesels and some Ibanez RGDs), bevels fucking rule. Super comfy to hold.
What do you mean by unmatched? Like the guitar has a painted top with a natural bevel? Or when they paint the body and top the same color so to speak and it's a different shade because it's not the same type of wood?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
What do you mean by unmatched? Like the guitar has a painted top with a natural bevel? Or when they paint the body and top the same color so to speak and it's a different shade because it's not the same type of wood?
yes
How not to bevel
productimg

bb09d2c2ce20264287e92ca9782ee742.jpg

ccdf224c5ee25db91420c835a5f45c82.jpg

kvxvrzmgxas2egjipntc.jpg

How to bevel
C-6%20PLUS%20CB%20BODYTILT.jpg

29226_ibanez_rgd61aletmgm_IBANEZ-RGD61ALET-MGM-ACCLAIM-THUMB.jpg

J00195000000000-00-720x720.jpg

ibanez-rgd-prestige-rgd3127pwf-7-string-electric-guitar-pearl-white-flat-sku-number-rgd3127pwf.jpg

q8lq35f7gqha3oatrjjp.jpg

HylianN

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a KM-II 7. For those of you who have had the privilege of playing both the version with Duncan's and Fishmans, Which do you prefer? I've never played a guitar with fishman's or the SD set. I was probably going to swap the bridge out to a BKP pickup regardless but wanted to get some info!

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a KM-II 7. For those of you who have had the privilege of playing both the version with Duncan's and Fishmans, Which do you prefer? I've never played a guitar with fishman's or the SD set. I was probably going to swap the bridge out to a BKP pickup regardless but wanted to get some info!
Really depends what you want. The black winters and nazgul are great for metal. I personally hate the classics as they're very bright and abrasive. The nazgul can be a bit nasally in the wrong guitar and is kind of a one trick pony for more modern DM tones tbh. The sentient is probably the most bland neck pickup Duncan has ever made. Very woody and open, and not overly good for lead work ime. The black winter bridge has a chunky low end and a broad midrange but will do basically any genre you want, especially in conjunction with the neck pickup. The neck pickup is mellower and less woody compared to the sentient.

I say just grab a Duncan loaded one, as that would make swapping pickups easier if you do end up going that route.

MrWulf

Reaction score
The Nazgul/Sentient KM7 are hard to come by these days, so its mostly Fishman version at this point. I agree on the Sentient being bland too. Its very vanilla and sound very weak overall. The Fishman Keith Merrow set arent bad at all really, has decent girth and lots of dynamics for a metal pickup.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Echoing what others have said above re: the sentient being “meh”. It’s certainly not a bad pickup, but for the applications it’s usually expected to perform in it’s certainly lackluster.

The Nazgul is also kind of a one trick pony, because of its EQ curve. It’s kind of like Keith and SD were like, people really like the Dactivator, let’s take that output and that clarity, but make it even better for low tuned chugging. And that’s exactly where it excels, but there are definitely better options because it always imparts that EQ on the tone.

I haven’t used the OEM Fishman KMs that only have the one voicing, but it’s food for thought that if you prefer actives and don’t end up liking these you’ll have an easier time swapping for a set of actives you do like because of the pre-existing routing on the body. Likewise, if you don’t care for actives you won’t have a useless battery compartment if you go for the SD equipped model.

I think there’s one of each in the trans black finish on Reverb at the moment.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Well fuck this thread. Fuck all of you for perpetuating it, and fuck Keith for spec-ing these out in the first place! :lol:

I wound up nabbing a MkIII Artist with IMO a nice top
View attachment 104433

I really want one of the USA models, but couldn't justify the price right now. Maybe in a year :rofl:
HNGD that top is pretty nice!

HypatiaRising

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I purchased a used KM7 Hybrid with the intent of swapping out the pickups with some Lundgren Black Heaven 7 pickups (already have Fishmans in my other guitars so wanted something different).

Got the Pickups from Axe Palace and they said they should just drop in(other than changing pots and such), but I just got word from the guitar tech that not only will they not just drop in, but he doesnt think the neck pickup will be able to be put in period. He said the could route the Bridge no problem but something about the neck makes it just not work? I asked him to write notes so I could give more information since I am not well versed in this area.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I was super excited to have this combo (guitar plays amazing) and now I am super bummed (and potentially out 400 bucks for pickups and install....)

Should I get a second opinion? Idk, I figured you could route basically anything to fit. lol

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
So I purchased a used KM7 Hybrid with the intent of swapping out the pickups with some Lundgren Black Heaven 7 pickups (already have Fishmans in my other guitars so wanted something different).

Got the Pickups from Axe Palace and they said they should just drop in(other than changing pots and such), but I just got word from the guitar tech that not only will they not just drop in, but he doesnt think the neck pickup will be able to be put in period. He said the could route the Bridge no problem but something about the neck makes it just not work? I asked him to write notes so I could give more information since I am not well versed in this area.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I was super excited to have this combo (guitar plays amazing) and now I am super bummed (and potentially out 400 bucks for pickups and install....)

Should I get a second opinion? Idk, I figured you could route basically anything to fit. lol
Without the details, it's hard to know for sure what the issue could be. Taking a look at the routes on the hybrid, they look like they are super tight and rounded against the Fishmans. He would have to use a template or at the very least setup some wood to create a 90 degree angle for the router to work.

My best guess would be between the arched top and having little room for a router setup with it being a neckthrough, he's just passing to not mess anything up. I sure as hell wouldn't attempt it, but I'm no expert.

Perge

Reaction score

Oh man. Yeah, they totally route the guitar different for his pickups. Interestingly they don't do it for the sustanic pickup.
Fishman.png
Sus.png

HypatiaRising

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe I'll see if I can find an experienced luthier or something 🤔. Naturally I only find out its complicated to do this swap after I spend the 300 bucks lol.

I don't wanna give up on it but I am bummed for sure.

MrWulf

Reaction score
My luthier managed to get the SD Black Winter 7 in the KM7 mk3's route, so I think if you can grind the baseplate of the Black Heaven (since its baseplate is rectangle) you can probably fit it in without any routing

HypatiaRising

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My luthier managed to get the SD Black Winter 7 in the KM7 mk3's route, so I think if you can grind the baseplate of the Black Heaven (since its baseplate is rectangle) you can probably fit it in without any routing
Yea I am going to talk with a guy on Tuesday amd will see what he says.