Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
dammit I really want that km3 with the predator inlays, but I have a feeling I'd end up refinishing it because the grey is hella boring. Slime green would have fit the predator motif so much better imo.
I love the the inlays and even love the grey, but the reason I won't buy it is because the neck is also painted. Not sure why that was chosen. I'd much rather see the roasted maple neck like the other two.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I love the the inlays and even love the grey, but the reason I won't buy it is because the neck is also painted. Not sure why that was chosen. I'd much rather see the roasted maple neck like the other two.
yeah, I don't particularly care about painted necks. For me it's just that they could have done something way cooler to tie into the predator motif paint wise. I saw spongebrick's post about glow in the dark paint and that got me thinking about a matte black body with glow in the dark green blood spatters/ and the glowing red predator display inlays. That would be true perfection imo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
Did anyone on this board end up with the KM8 proto that DCGL had for a minute?

Haven't seen it anywhere, but I did see it on the site a long time ago. Thing was gorgeous. On a related note: I was gonna snag the green Wes Hauch signature prototype that DCGL had and even had called the guy to see what he would sell it for, but he never got back to me (or in reality I probably wasn't being aggressive enough), but then I check the forum a week later and another dude had bought it. Oh well haha

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Haven't seen it anywhere, but I did see it on the site a long time ago. Thing was gorgeous. On a related note: I was gonna snag the green Wes Hauch signature prototype that DCGL had and even had called the guy to see what he would sell it for, but he never got back to me (or in reality I probably wasn't being aggressive enough), but then I check the forum a week later and another dude had bought it. Oh well haha

Yes, that was actually me! It was a cool guitar, but I have since sold it.

scottbeckman

Guitarist @ Lightswarm
Reaction score
I'm a tad disappointed that the neck on my KM MK-III Artist is a bit uneven, leading to some buzz that my luthier can't combat with a simple truss adjustment. Looking at a full setup to bring the frets down and minimize the effect, which isn't the worst or most expensive thing, but it's a shame after dropping 2k on a guitar. I guess it's a good lesson to play test any guitar you get and really attack it, looking for things that are going to bother you later on.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I'm a tad disappointed that the neck on my KM MK-III Artist is a bit uneven, leading to some buzz that my luthier can't combat with a simple truss adjustment. Looking at a full setup to bring the frets down and minimize the effect, which isn't the worst or most expensive thing, but it's a shame after dropping 2k on a guitar. I guess it's a good lesson to play test any guitar you get and really attack it, looking for things that are going to bother you later on.
You have to remember that at the end of the day, it's still a MIK guitar. Doesn't matter how much it costs, it's still the same as any other MIK guitar from that WMI factory regardless of price. This was my biggest complaint when the price for these were announced last year.

scottbeckman

Guitarist @ Lightswarm
Reaction score
You have to remember that at the end of the day, it's still a MIK guitar. Doesn't matter how much it costs, it's still the same as any other MIK guitar from that WMI factory regardless of price. This was my biggest complaint when the price for these were announced last year.
Yeah agreed. I dig the guitar - it's the perfect combination of woods and electronics that I was looking for - but if I had it all to do over again, I mayyy have chosen differently.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Yeah agreed. I dig the guitar - it's the perfect combination of woods and electronics that I was looking for - but if I had it all to do over again, I mayyy have chosen differently.
I'm still debating grabbing a standard series one. A lot cheaper so if it does have any issues, I don't mind investing a little into it.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Jut got a K-7 mkiii and it is amazing. The Fishamans as super and it plays like a dream.

After reading on here and reddit about some of the problems with build quality I was a bit worried about buying one without playing it first but man I could not be happier. This is one of the best guitars I have played or owned.

I may actually get the six string version now.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
ok this is funny...
So I was playing my new KM-7 mkiii a bit, everything was great. Changed strings worked on setup a bit and basically was just fooling around with the guitar for a couple of days.

I have an issue with the volume pot.

If I have the volume completely off and give the volume knob the most minuscule of a turn it goes full volume. if i go a miniscule turn past that point the volume pot works as normal. (volume basically drops to nothing then increases as knob is rotated). The volume knob works as a killswitch and then works normally.

I was doing volume swells and was getting an odd popping/static sound. It didn't happen every time but enough to be a pain.
so I started turning the volume up a slow as possible and discovered the issue.

Going to re-solder the pot and see if that works.

I took off the control cover and had a look to see if I could see anything amiss. There is a huge cluster of wire ziptied together. it is not a neat wiring job at all. there are 7 ground wires connected to this one pot.

This should not happen on a $1700 guitar. I am not sending it back as it plays fantastic and has no other issues, but yeah this sucks.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
ok this is funny...
So I was playing my new KM-7 mkiii a bit, everything was great. Changed strings worked on setup a bit and basically was just fooling around with the guitar for a couple of days.

If I have the volume completely off and give the volume knob the most minuscule of a turn it goes full volume. if i go a miniscule turn past that point the volume pot works as normal. (volume basically drops to nothing then increases as knob is rotated). The volume knob works as a killswitch and then works normally.

I was doing volume swells and was getting an odd popping/static sound. It didn't happen every time but enough to be a pain.

I took off the control cover and had a look to see if I could see anything amiss. There is a huge cluster of wire ziptied together. it is not a neat wiring job at all. there are 7 ground wires connected to this one pot.

This should not happen on a $1700 guitar. I am not sending it back as it plays fantastic and has no other issues, but yeah this sucks.
wiring and electronics are almost always an issue at some point with import guitars ime. check the solder joint, resolder if need be. barring that just replace the vol pot, those cheap alpha pots tend to fail faster than cts or other higher quality pots

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
wiring and electronics are almost always an issue at some point with import guitars ime. check the solder joint, resolder if need be. barring that just replace the vol pot, those cheap alpha pots tend to fail faster than cts or other higher quality pots

Yeah I had similar issues on a cheap LTD once.
what makes this a PITA is there are so many ground connections on the pot Plus the pot is pretty small so a limited surface

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
ok this is funny...

Damn man I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully re-soldering it fixes it. Otherwise a new pot is very cheap and pretty easy to replace. I always hear this being an issue with import guitars, especially the KM7s.

scottbeckman

Guitarist @ Lightswarm
Reaction score
I've had that issue with several import guitars (and several Schecters, which I continue to buy and love anyway) in the past. Fortunately, it has been a cheap, easy fix for my luthier so it hasn't completely turned me off from them.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Yeah I had similar issues on a cheap LTD once.
what makes this a PITA is there are so many ground connections on the pot Plus the pot is pretty small so a limited surface
that's kind of the nature of the beast with import guitar electronics. there should really only be like 4 ground wires on the pot. one for each pickup and one for bridge ground/output jack.
worst case it's a couple of bucks to replace a pot :shrug:

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

Yeah but guys, he shouldn't have cheap alpha pots in there. He's playing with Fishmans so it should be active pots from Fishman, no?

Also, most of my Schecter's have bundles of zip-tied wiring. I do this myself even and it's pretty clean. I'm confused as to how they could zip-tie a mess.

Latest posts