Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fcv

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought a KM-7 MK-III artist last week, and I've been having a bit of an issue with it. I'm getting an audible, 'clink' sound coming through the amp when I play palm muted open strings on the A string or low E(other 5 strings sound fine). I'm not sure if theres actually anything wrong or if the Merrow Fishmans just push some frequencies a bit more than I'm used to. Putting some foam behind the nut seemed to help a little, and I can effectively nuke this with 2 narrow eq cuts at the start of the signal chain(minus 5-6 db with q=5 or 6, centered about 1830 for the A string and about 1650 for the low E I think), but I don't normally keep a parametric eq at the beginning of my signal chain, and at this point whenever I pick it up I'm mainly just listening for the sound and it's annoying me. Does anyone else notice this kind of thing or have any ideas what else I can do?

Also I wasn't planning on using single coil mode anyway, but the noise floor on it seems absurdly high. I was kinda under the impression that it was supposed to be the sound of single coils, not actual single coils, kinda like the moderns have passive voice which is still active. Is this not the case?

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Mine is a bit noisy at times in single coil mode. My house has garbage wiring and i get a bit of interference. I wouldn't think they would make noise either but It didn't bother me much. I only really use the single coil mode with cleans.

As for clinking yeah i notice a bit of that. I am using a fretwrap and that helped a lot. I use 2mm flow picks and pick pretty hard at times.

I did have a weird volume pot issue with mine where it would go full volume as soon as you turned the knob and them immediately work as intended. I blew out the pot with compressed air and that fixed it up.

fcv

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Action was actually a bit high as I noticed the clinking sound fairly quickly and wanted to avoid that being a factor. I initially changed the strings and adjusted the truss rod, and at that point the action was about 1.3mm over 12th fret on the high side so I held off adjust the bridge at first, and left it there for a bit while I tried to figure this out. Since then I've adjusted it down to right about 1mm, which is still a little conservative for me. The clinking sound is actually quite a bit less noticeable after I lowered the action on the low E, but still fairly noticeable on the A.

Thanks for the confirmation that single coil mode always is that way. Just seemed to contradict everything people preach about fishmans.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Action was actually a bit high as I noticed the clinking sound fairly quickly and wanted to avoid that being a factor. I initially changed the strings and adjusted the truss rod, and at that point the action was about 1.3mm over 12th fret on the high side so I held off adjust the bridge at first, and left it there for a bit while I tried to figure this out. Since then I've adjusted it down to right about 1mm, which is still a little conservative for me. The clinking sound is actually quite a bit less noticeable after I lowered the action on the low E, but still fairly noticeable on the A.

Thanks for the confirmation that single coil mode always is that way. Just seemed to contradict everything people preach about fishmans.
In the MK-III, the single coil is indeed like that. If you have a KM set in a MK-II, the set sounds a bit different actually. I ended up preferring voice 1 in the MK-III the best and so I pulled my KM set out of the MK-II and never modded it to have the single coil mode available. Now I'm pulling the set out of the MK-III as well just because I've moved on. lol

NotQuiteWes

Reaction score
In the MK-III, the single coil is indeed like that. If you have a KM set in a MK-II, the set sounds a bit different actually. I ended up preferring voice 1 in the MK-III the best and so I pulled my KM set out of the MK-II and never modded it to have the single coil mode available. Now I'm pulling the set out of the MK-III as well just because I've moved on. lol
What are you putting in place of the Fishman sets?

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
What are you putting in place of the Fishman sets?
Either a Guitarmory Foxbat ceramic set or an Atlas set (unsure of which magnets if this option)

I wish I would have ordered my Patriot set in non-soapbar format because they would be going in there instead of in my Schecter C-7 SLS Elite which I don't like as much as the KM-7 MK-3

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm saving up for my first 7-string guitar and weighing my options. Is a "new" (i.e. no previous owners) KM-7 MK1 for €1120 a good deal in today's 7-string market?

I'm looking for 26.5 inch scale, stainless steel frets, graphtech/bone nut. It seems to tick all the boxes. I'm struggling to come up with anything better in my budget - €1200 max.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm saving up for my first 7-string guitar and weighing my options. Is a "new" (i.e. no previous owners) KM-7 MK1 for €1120 a good deal in today's 7-string market?

I'm looking for 26.5 inch scale, stainless steel frets, graphtech/bone nut. It seems to tick all the boxes. I'm struggling to come up with anything better in my budget - €1200 max.
You can get a MK-II for that price. $1000 USD max is a good price for a new MK-1. In fact, there's a new white one for $899 on Reverb right now. I bought my brand new Lambo Orange MK-1 for like $675 on sale actually.

I do recommend going for a MK-2 if you can, I find them to be much nicer guitars but in the end all 3 models are awesome. I have one MK-1, three MK-2, and one MK-3.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
You can get a MK-II for that price. $1000 USD max is a good price for a new MK-1. In fact, there's a new white one for $899 on Reverb right now. I bought my brand new Lambo Orange MK-1 for like $675 on sale actually.

I do recommend going for a MK-2 if you can, I find them to be much nicer guitars but in the end all 3 models are awesome. I have one MK-1, three MK-2, and one MK-3.

I hadn't considered going for some of them in the US - I'm in Ireland, and I'm wary of getting fucked on import tax, but if they're that low, that's lower than what I'd pay for them over here anyway.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I hadn't considered going for some of them in the US - I'm in Ireland, and I'm wary of getting fucked on import tax, but if they're that low, that's lower than what I'd pay for them over here anyway.
My bad

Going based off of Thomann prices:
MK-3 is €1,590-€1,690 and MK-2 is €1,290-€1,330.
If they offered the MK-1, it would be fair if it was somewhere between €890-€1,000 imo. Right about the same price as the "Standard" version of the MK-3 (the one without stainless steel frets and such).

Does that help any?

MrWulf

Reaction score
I brought a mint KM7 mk2 for like 700 bucks and honestly this thing blew all my previous guitars. And i've played Carvin, Ibanez Prestige, Agile and such. Outside the top notch construction and specs, i didnt realize how comfy the neck was despite being ultra slim. All and all, definitely a keeper.

Attachments

• 20190823_165434.jpg
    20190823_165434.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20190823_165321.jpg
    20190823_165321.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Is it a callback to his white, maple board BRJ? Thats so hot holy shit

I remember seeing that guitar and saving for fucking ages to put down a deposit with BRJ for something with those specs. Took me a while though and I hadn't got the coin together before all the shit went down. Might have to start saving again haha

Latest posts