Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

olejason

Reaction score
I have the import Artist, no neck dive but I wear it fairly high.

the feel of the neck reminds me a lot of the wax/gunstock oil or whatever it was that was on the back of my EBMM JP6 many years ago, though I’m not saying it is that I don’t know what it is but it feels great).

I'm pretty sure they used some kind of wax on the KM7 wenge necks. That's the white 'stuff' some people complained about on the first import run. Interestingly, I don't think they use the wax on other models with wenge necks (Shredder, Nick Johnston, etc.).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Partario

Reaction score
Just dropped my KM7 MKiii Artist off at the shop for some work

-I put some Dimarzio fusion edge 7 pickups in, which I'm liking way more than the Fishmans. He's going to use the extra mini switch for some phase coil split stuff

-New bone nut. I didn't have good luck with the compensated nut, the strings were binding up while tuning and I can't get it intonated

-Relocate the horn strap button. I use Schaller locks and the thing nosedives like crazy. He's going to try to recess it into the horn. We'll see.

-Pure Tone output jack (had it sitting around, why not)

-Full fret dress and setup. The frets are fine but this guy has done great work on my other guitars so I told him to go for it.

I've had the guitar for a couple years and these were the only things bugging me. I'll report back when it's done!
Alright I got it back! Only got to play for a bit but I promised updates.
3205B24D-29FA-4F2B-9652-82EA979D892C.jpeg

The frets didn’t really need anything but after getting it back, there’s absolutely zero friction.
0854770B-4457-45E7-834C-84C8285637DA.jpeg

New bone nut carved for the string set I use from Kalium. It seems to tune up and stay in tune much better than the stock nut. It also sounds brighter and louder when played acoustic. It sounds like the vibrations are transferring into the neck easier. The compensated nut sounded dull to me with the same set.
78FFF5EA-8875-46CF-83C7-AC283EB24A86.jpeg

I did a terrible job putting the Fusion Edge 7 pickups in. I wired them correctly but couldn’t adjust the hight and I didn’t use the extra mini switch for anything.
I gave him a low pro push/pull to install, and between that and the extra mini switch he hooked up loads of different combinations. Series, parallel, split coil, and some combos of those.
6537800A-9284-445E-BA56-076AAD3568D2.jpeg

One of the biggest things that bothered me was the button placement. I get why it is where it is but I was nosediving. He recessed the Schaller lock a bit into the horn and it feels great now.
4704AEB0-B69F-4506-958F-EC534E15D1CB.jpeg

Didn’t trust myself to do that
DAAA8613-A784-460E-A682-2AC092754D72.jpeg

Bonus kitty.

I know most people love it the way it comes, but I needed to change the pickups and stuff to make it play how I want. There’s a crazy amount of tones now with the push/pull and the mini switch. Might put in bareknuckles some day, but for now these are sounding great. Guess I should call Bill Foley out for doing such great work. http://www.germanvillagemusichaus.com/

This is the only push/pull I found that fits back there btw. https://guitarelectronics.com/cts-500k-audio-taper-pot-w-push-pull-switch/

ReleasedtoReign

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Alright I got it back! Only got to play for a bit but I promised updates. View attachment 110168
The frets didn’t really need anything but after getting it back, there’s absolutely zero friction.
View attachment 110169
New bone nut carved for the string set I use from Kalium. It seems to tune up and stay in tune much better than the stock nut. It also sounds brighter and louder when played acoustic. It sounds like the vibrations are transferring into the neck easier. The compensated nut sounded dull to me with the same set.
View attachment 110170
I did a terrible job putting the Fusion Edge 7 pickups in. I wired them correctly but couldn’t adjust the hight and I didn’t use the extra mini switch for anything.
I gave him a low pro push/pull to install, and between that and the extra mini switch he hooked up loads of different combinations. Series, parallel, split coil, and some combos of those.
View attachment 110171
One of the biggest things that bothered me was the button placement. I get why it is where it is but I was nosediving. He recessed the Schaller lock a bit into the horn and it feels great now.
View attachment 110172
View attachment 110173

Bonus kitty.

I know most people love it the way it comes, but I needed to change the pickups and stuff to make it play how I want. There’s a crazy amount of tones now with the push/pull and the mini switch. Might put in bareknuckles some day, but for now these are sounding great. Guess I should call Bill Foley out for doing such great work. http://www.germanvillagemusichaus.com/

This is the only push/pull I found that fits back there btw. https://guitarelectronics.com/cts-500k-audio-taper-pot-w-push-pull-switch/
Congratulations =D

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
He recessed the Schaller lock a bit into the horn and it feels great now.
View attachment 110172
View attachment 110173

Bonus kitty.

That strap button placement gives me the fear! The kitty makes up for it!
Does look like a great guitar though. Interesting about the nut making that much difference. I wonder if the old nut wasn't seated properly perhaps? Either way, seeing it all fret dressed and polished up has got me all excited for you!

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Alright I got it back! Only got to play for a bit but I promised updates. View attachment 110168
View attachment 110169
View attachment 110170
View attachment 110171
View attachment 110172
View attachment 110173

Bonus kitty.

Congrats! Looks like great work. I've been interested in one of these but have been worried about a neck dive issue because of the stock strap pin placement.

That was clever to make a flat notch there for a new pin. Does it really work? Does the guitar hang at a 45 degree (or so) angle now?

TheRobotCow

Reaction score
I downloaded an app to compress photos I didn’t want to but it made me mad I couldn’t get a single photo of this beautiful handmade top to upload so I did what I had to but I gotta go after this I’ll compress more of the kickass photos tonight or soon and upload them I hope this doesn’t look like sh!t from compressing it so much it went from 5mb to 247kb lol
yea that’s definitely a mindblowing top! and that finish is badass!

Partario

Reaction score
That strap button placement gives me the fear! The kitty makes up for it!
Does look like a great guitar though. Interesting about the nut making that much difference. I wonder if the old nut wasn't seated properly perhaps? Either way, seeing it all fret dressed and polished up has got me all excited for you!
I don't know, but the strings sat really far down in the original nut. That combined with the ratio of the tuners made it difficult for me to tune up. I love the look of the open gear tuners but I wish it had a higher(?) ratio so it would take more turns to tune up.

The button placement is definitely a little scary, but comfort comes first for me. If it rips out or something I'll just...give it back for him to figure out haha.

Kinda crazy how nice and expensive this guitar is, and all the basics like tuning, strap, and pickups needed work. My $300 Agile 7 had that stuff right off the bat, but is obviously lacking in every other category.

Partario

Reaction score
Congrats! Looks like great work. I've been interested in one of these but have been worried about a neck dive issue because of the stock strap pin placement.

That was clever to make a flat notch there for a new pin. Does it really work? Does the guitar hang at a 45 degree (or so) angle now?
Yes it really works. Stays right where it is when I take my hands off.

This placement probably won't bother most people with a regular strap, but I insist on using Schaller locks, mostly because they have a cool design. They rotate freely so they make the issue way worse than it would be just attaching a strap.

cip 123

Reaction score
Maybe not the best thread to ask in, but what’s the verdict on the US built KMs versus their Mayones equivalents?

I just sold my KM7 MkIII, and I’m itching to replace it soon. I would have kept it as it was definitely the nicest production guitar I’ve ever had sub $2k, but upcoming bills had to take precedence.

Long story short, I’m looking at getting something that’s a step above all these import models, but I don’t have the option to try either in person. I can always default back to the MIK line, but I am curious.
I have not directly tried the USA KM but I have compared mayones to my current USA schecter when I was about to buy it. They’re both built very well, but the USA felt easier and nicer to play for me. That that level, setup, string gauge, makes the difference because the quality is neck and neck. If you can try a mayones I would recommend it first. And buy from somewhere with a return policy.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I have not directly tried the USA KM but I have compared mayones to my current USA schecter when I was about to buy it. They’re both built very well, but the USA felt easier and nicer to play for me. That that level, setup, string gauge, makes the difference because the quality is neck and neck. If you can try a mayones I would recommend it first. And buy from somewhere with a return policy.
Thank you! This is exactly the kind of input I’d been looking for. Unfortunately, there’s literally nowhere around me I can try a Mayones first. The place I’m looking at does have a good return policy, though. Luckily I’m in no rush, so I have plenty more time to research and make up my mind.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
Anyone else have this wear and tear on their Mk I pickups? Or other SD pickups with these metal covers?

Attachments

• B5657B59-97AE-46BD-9989-820037617FD7.jpeg
    B5657B59-97AE-46BD-9989-820037617FD7.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 66
  • E87ED587-76AE-4C57-A4E8-1BD6127D4641.jpeg
    E87ED587-76AE-4C57-A4E8-1BD6127D4641.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 67

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
@sleewell
You have both the KM7 FRS Mk1 and the KM7 FRS MKIII hybrid correct?

My Sustainiac on the green hybrid won't do fundamental or 'root note" i guess, just goes to the high pitch on first position. My Mk1 FRS DOES do the root note on first position as expected. Does your hybrid do this? Wondering if there's a jumper or mini switch I need to adjust.

sleewell

Reaction score
@sleewell
You have both the KM7 FRS Mk1 and the KM7 FRS MKIII hybrid correct?

My Sustainiac on the green hybrid won't do fundamental or 'root note" i guess, just goes to the high pitch on first position. My Mk1 FRS DOES do the root note on first position as expected. Does your hybrid do this? Wondering if there's a jumper or mini switch I need to adjust.

Yes i noticed this as well and was disappointed. But I kinda am only playing 6s these days unfortunately lol.

FilipAltDelete

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thinking about new pickups. Just got the km7 mkiii artist and i feel that the pickups are a bit to twangy/djenty for my taste. I have a guitar with fishman moderns and I feel that there are much more growl in those.
Anyhow, does anyone have tried different pickups in their km7s with success? Have checked out the black winter ones but all those tonewood nerds says that swamp ash is maybe too bright for those. Any suggestions on what pickups that would fit for for drop G/A standard tunings?

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Thinking about new pickups. Just got the km7 mkiii artist and i feel that the pickups are a bit to twangy/djenty for my taste. I have a guitar with fishman moderns and I feel that there are much more growl in those.
Anyhow, does anyone have tried different pickups in their km7s with success? Have checked out the black winter ones but all those tonewood nerds says that swamp ash is maybe too bright for those. Any suggestions on what pickups that would fit for for drop G/A standard tunings?
If anything, the moderns are more twangy/djent sounding to my ears. The KMs are just a modified classic in the bridge and a classic neck IIRC, which would be more subdued than the moderns.

Anyway, Black Winters would be a great choice sound wise. They may be a bit snug to fit in the actual cavities because of the routes. Someone on here did it before, I think. @MrWulf ?