Schecter sls vs sterling richardson

• Thread starter Knaggsy96
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Knaggsy96

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I recently went on a selling spree and sold my MM jp stupidly and now am wanting a new 7 string. I’m looking between 1k-1.5k not interested in fan frets or emg’s and need something with floating trem. My main choices at the moment are a schecter c7 sls or a sterling richardson 7. I would love a kiesel but import is just too much to justify it and there’s no second hand ones up at the moment. Open to other options as well if anyone has any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
The Schecter is 99% more likely to be considerably better than the Sterling.

I've played a bunch of Schecter's and own a KM-7 MKII.
I recently played 2 Sterling JR's (6 and 7) and they were 'okay' but felt like a much cheaper instrument.
Korean Schecter's are very good in my experience and I love my KM-7 MKII, it feels incredible, its very well made, and some of Schecter's Korean-made guitars (like the KM series) could easily pass for a more expensive guitar.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
The Schecters I've played have been really nice. It's been a while since I played a Sterling, but I thought they were not nearly as nice as Korean-made Schecters.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Schecter makes good stuff . Both are probably good , but I’ve seen and played enough Schecters to say they’re typically pretty incredible regardless of price point .

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
Schecter over Sterling for sure imo. Schecter makes solid stuff and I’ve been disappointed in every sterling I’ve ever tried.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
buy a used EBMM JP, if you miss that instrument, you won't find what you are looking for in the Schecter or the Sterling

ian540s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Adding to the Sterling warnings...
I've played two (I think 6 & 7) Jason Richardson Sterling guitars, and both of the high e strings were falling off the fretboard. I think this is a widespread manufacturing issue with the model.
I'm sure they can be good if you wanted change the nut and probably upgrade the bridge somehow, but coming from a MM would be a big fall in quality.
Schecter's mid-tier line and up are known for being amazing guitars, but you just need to find one you think looks good. Good choice if you don't have a choice :)
I heard used Prestige Ibanez are good too 😆

Musiscience

Reaction score
Just coming here to echo what everyone else is saying about Schecter. Solid guitars for the price and I’m yet to play a bad one.

On the other hand, pretty much every Sterling I played felt cheap, especially in contrast to their EBMM counterpart. If you really want to go with a JP, just wait a bit and save up for a used MM one, it’s worth being patient if you can.

The Monster With .

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This won't be a popular take.

I have a schecter km7 and a Sterling JP160, As well as a Sterling majesty 7. The majesty is my number one, and I play the Sterling JP more than the Schecter. The Schecter is nicer, neck through, SS frets, but I just like the feel of the Sterling and the JP neck carve better. The roasted neck on the Sterling is super stable. I'm not sure why, but I'm always having to adjust the truss rod on the Schecter. The Schecter neck is quite round feeling, with a skinny nut. The Sterling is more flat on the back of the neck, which I prefer.

The R&D from EBMM has value to me, and I like that I can get that in a cheaper package with Sterling.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Haven’t played a Sterling jr7 but owned the jp7 and it was very cheap feeling. The bridge was shit and even after some graphite in the nut and saddles, and a good setup it would still go out of tune with moderate trem use

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Never played a Sterling that didn't disappoint.

Meanwhile, I'm shocked by how good modern Schecter every time i pick one up.

Don't own either, but if I did, it would be the Schecter.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
Depends where you live. Here in Europe, schecter are overpriced to hell. Ibanez or Jackson may be a better option.

Edika

Reaction score
If the option is between Sterling and Schecter SLS, Schecter SLS without a second thought. The SLS I used to have punched way above it's belt. I haven't played a Sterling, but I haven't heard any positive reviews by anyone lol.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
If the choice was an EBMM rich vs a USA schecter, I would say try both its your preference, but I've been entirely unimpressed with sterling as a brand. Odd because, many brands make guitars in the same factory that I've found to be quite nice. I wouldn't recommend any sterling model. I agree with the others though, that neither will satisfy your EBMM JP7 desires, save up for a used one.