SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Doubt it's wiring.
I just remembered same thing happened with EMG 57/66 set in another Solar with Evertune. Similar thinness issues. Through some gear it's more noticeable than other. Both pickups I have in multiple guitars.
Do any pickups sound good in this guitar? I guess it could just be a bad hunk of wood.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I only have about an hour of playtime on a set in my PRS S2 but so far I am not really a fan. Guitar had a BKP Silo before and I wanted something tighter and more aggressive. The Black Winters are more aggressive, but there's a fizz I haven't figured out how to dial out yet. Missing some of the tightness I was looking for.

The split cleans are absolutely fantastic. That was a pleasant surprise.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've got Black Winters in a few guitars and I really like them. I play blackened thrash/melodic death metal in standard tuning and they work great for it. I think I originally went with them because it's what Skeletonwitch were using. I almost put one in my Ironbird, but I wanted to experiment with some DiMarzios in it.

My X Series Warrior.
1702352295633.png

The Voyager/Random Star I built aka Battlestar.
1702352354471.png

And my first and only 7 string the Jackson JS-22. I'm currently building a 7 string star that I'll be swapping this pickup over to as well as the Hipshot bridge I installed.
1702352419899.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I only have about an hour of playtime on a set in my PRS S2 but so far I am not really a fan. Guitar had a BKP Silo before and I wanted something tighter and more aggressive. The Black Winters are more aggressive, but there's a fizz I haven't figured out how to dial out yet. Missing some of the tightness I was looking for.

The split cleans are absolutely fantastic. That was a pleasant surprise.

Back it off from the strings a good bit more than you normally do. I've had the BW in a handful of guitars and always find it to be over-the-top and mushy when I have it up high like I usually do with lower-output models :2c:

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Back it off from the strings a good bit more than you normally do. I've had the BW in a handful of guitars and always find it to be over-the-top and mushy when I have it up high like I usually do with lower-output models :2c:

That worked! I've been an EMG user for the past 10 years but I can see myself liking these just as much with some more tweaking.

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
Hey! For all the single pickup single volume folks how do you have this wired?

I've been swapping between guitars quite a bit this last week and have noticed the bw sounding pretty thin. I lowered the pickup but not much change. I'm going to raise the bass side and lower the treble a bit more next session and see if it helps.

Currently red and white are together, green and bare to ground/pot casing, black to 1st lug.

Is this correct, or am I out of phase?

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
20231101_224410.jpg
20231101_224118.jpg

JB is out of Excalibur and the Black Winter is in. Essentially everything I like about the JB with the top end reigned in a bit (more 'musical' or whatever other marketing speak you wanna use), and the low end tightened up. I enjoy the thickness of the JB down to A# but it just dissolved into mush at G#. I might actually prefer the BW overall, which I did not expect from a ceramic P/U. Excellent coil splitting too, which to be fair I assumed would be the case given the output. Very happy with it.