Seymour Duncan now offering El Diablo and Slug as production pickups

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

I know the El DIablo is considered a sleeper pickup, but is the Slug pickup actually good or is it just a gimmick? lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I know the El DIablo is considered a sleeper pickup, but is the Slug pickup actually good or is it just a gimmick? lol

Only person I've heard of using the Slug was Garrett from Windhand, and they sounded like a wall of sound hitting you, but I can't imagine it fitting the average everyday player

Bearitone

Reaction score
I had a Slug set. Waaaayyyy compressed/hot. Couldn’t gel with it.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I hate that they're embossing their logo on the pickups now, and the logo is itself a pair of bobbins with pole pieces.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Obvious move since they don't sell through the CS... I suppose because nobody seem to use them, right?

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score
Love the El Diablo! One of my fave Duncans. Never tried the Slug. But the ED is such a killer pickup for brighter guitars

Excruciator

Reaction score
Those two pickups are wound on tele hot stack bobbins, which is why they have that embossed logo and why they are oversized relative to normal humbuckers. I'd wager it was a similar scenario to the EMG 707, recycling pickup parts so they don't have to heavily invest to make new ones from the ground up.

With regards to the slug, I'm calling gimmick personally, and I think they are pretty self aware about it being a moronic pickup, with that being the intended appeal.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Honestly I’ve always been curious to try the Slug UNDER a pickguard on a guitar, seeing as it’s so high output. No idea if that’d work, but fun concept

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I’ve been waiting to get an el diablo for ages. I’ll be buying them for my Washburn dd60’s. Awesome news

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have a guitar at my shop with a slug in it, and it actually sounds pretty good.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
I had my eye on a SLUG for a fun experiment but then they brought out the Jupiter so that became a more sensible option for my build.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
I've not used the SLUG personally but I've spoken to a few guys who have it and most of the feedback was positive.
Always wanted to try it but wasn't willing to drop the $$ and had other custom shop orders that definitely took precedence for me.
But I might still give this a try now that it's more readily available.
The El Diablo on the other hand is one I have used and I think it's really good.
Threw it in an older Jackson Soloist, livelied up that thing considerably.
Great palm mute response particularly.

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score
The Invader is probably one of the most hated pickups for the same reasons and I thought it sounded fantastic in my old Jackson Kelly Pro XL.
This^
Invaders in Jacksons is a beautiful brutal combo. I've got the Invader in 3 guitars and when you know how to set it and if you're able to use a series/parallel switch, it becomes a much more versatile pickup.

Necky379

Reaction score
The Slug is a fun pickup. I have it in an SG and it's got a really nice Master of Puppets sound to it.
SG’s seem to work really well with high output pickups. I’ve got an A2 El Diablo/Hex Invader hybrid in mine, the thing reads at 19.2k. You’d think it’d be a mess tuned to C but it pretty much sounds like the guitar does acoustically, really mid forward with a little added low mid beef. Even if the Slug worked in nothing else I’d bet it works great in an SG.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
While we're speaking on the Slug, SD seems to be offering a new CS pickup called the colossal incantation. Seems like a hybrid between the Distortion and the Slug.

Necky379

Reaction score
Since the Slug bobbins are slightly longer than standard and this Colossal Incantation has slightly lower resistance reading than the Slug I’m guessing it’s the Slug wind on regular bobbins with all slug poles and an Invader magnet configuration. Interesting idea. I swapped the cap screws on 7 string Invader for all slug poles and it sounded really good like that.