Should I Get An 8 or Downtune a 7?

• Thread starter ghostOG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand what you're saying - "even with a heavier gauge" and "with a standard seven string set" seem contradictory.

I'm glad I fell in love with baritone 6s - there are so many 30"ers and such to choose from. The market for longscale 8s is still pretty small. 7 is definitely my preference overall these days however

Last edited:

nightlight

Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand what you're saying - "even with a heavier gauge" and "with a standard seven string set" seem contradictory.

I'm glad I fell in love with baritone 6s - there are so many 30"ers and such to choose from. The market for longscale 8s is still pretty small. 7 is definitely my preference overall these days however

Sort of like you have 0.8 to 0.13 six-string sets, The heavier gauges allow you to tune lower. But not from E to B, for example (yes, you can, if you like mushy tone and horrible tuning stability).

If you want to do that, get a string set that is optimised for such a tuning.

In the case of the OP, for an eight string tuning, rather than tune down strings that are designed for B tuning (and there are light and heavy gauges that are designed for that tuning), I suggested he get an eight string set and just not use the first string.

The results will be far better than tuning down from B to F#.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Sort of like you have 0.8 to 0.13 six-string sets, The heavier gauges allow you to tune lower. But not from E to B, for example (yes, you can, if you like mushy tone and horrible tuning stability).

If you want to do that, get a string set that is optimised for such a tuning.

In the case of the OP, for an eight string tuning, rather than tune down strings that are designed for B tuning (and there are light and heavy gauges that are designed for that tuning), I suggested he get an eight string set and just not use the first string.

The results will be far better than tuning down from B to F#.
Did anyone in here insinuate that he wouldn't use strings designed for 8 string tuning if he did go with a downturned 7? I don't think it was ever suggested that he use a 7 string set and tune down to F#.

nightlight

Reaction score
Did anyone in here insinuate that he wouldn't use strings designed for 8 string tuning if he did go with a downturned 7? I don't think it was ever suggested that he use a 7 string set and tune down to F#.

Topic of the thread is
Should I get an 8 or downtune a 7?

He also says his tuning requirement is EAEADGB.

Sorry for the large font.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Topic of the thread is
Should I get an 8 or downtune a 7?

He also says his tuning requirement is EAEADGB.

Sorry for the large font.

Yeah it also doesn't say, "Should I get an 8 or downtune a 7...with 7 string gauge strings" either...I think we all understand here what he wants to do but you mentioned using standard 7 string gauges to tune down and that its idiotic. Well duh, we never said to do that.

ghostOG

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I'm still looking around. If I went with a 7 I would use appropriate string gauge and scale length to tune drop E, which is why I keep mentioning multi scale and asked for recommendations.

At this point I think either an 8 or a 7 would be fine and the more important factors are do I like the guitar (appearance electronics construction and materials) and is the scale length appropriate. I used to have an 8 string Dean RC, so I'm not inexperienced about how they feel... at the time I just didn't know the caveats of tuning that low and was trying to play thrash metal on it and sounded like shit. So I'm just looking to get into low tuning again while keeping the high strings relatively bendy. I have also played the Schecter Reaper 7 MS at Guitar Center so I got somewhat a feel for the size of that.

I'm still eyeballing that new Cort 8 string multi scale, only thing that bothers me a little is the bolt on neck and satin finish heh.

Last edited:

kisielk

Reaction score
I think it really depends on how / what you play. Personally I can't do without the high E, I use it too often for lead playing or to add more top end to bigger chords. If I was playing mostly low tuned rhythm I could probably get by with a downtuned 7, but I am mostly interested in extending range downward while keeping the existing higher range I have available.

nightlight

Reaction score
Yeah it also doesn't say, "Should I get an 8 or downtune a 7...with 7 string gauge strings" either...I think we all understand here what he wants to do but you mentioned using standard 7 string gauges to tune down and that its idiotic. Well duh, we never said to do that.

Oh I see. My bad, when I read downtuning a 7, I assumed he meant tuning the regular gauges down.

A lot of people do that, so I was just popping the suggestion that he use a set designed for the tuning he's seeking.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe look at an Ormsby GTR 7 string?

I think the low string on those is ~28", which is as short as I'd go for drop E.

Don't buy a Legator - waaaaay too many horror stories about them.

Ormsby seem to not be well liked around here, but tbh they are pretty good production guitars with a nice feature set and a very comfy neck.

The only reason I sold my Ormsby 7 was that I am apparently either a 6 or 8 string player and just couldn't get used to a 7 string. It was a really nice guitar though.

FWIW, Ormsby guitars themselves are for the most part excellent instruments. The issue is that unfortunately when there have been QC issues, they have been handled poorly on Ormsby's end as far as I can tell. Take that with a grain of salt as there are still plenty of people buying them (myself included) however it's a risk worth keeping in mind if you live overseas from Australia.

ghostOG

Reaction score
After some research and considering the advice in this thread I ordered a Cort KX508MS and set of D'd NYXL strings. All the 7s in my price range I was interested in, had 27 - 25.5 scales, but I really wanted at least 28" for the E. I also liked Agile, but the only multiscale 8s I could find had the Kahler trem, which I read isn't that great.

The Cort has 28" - 26.5" scale, and using the string tension pro calculator .80 will give 15 pounds. I ordered individual strings which should give me around 14.4 pounds on the three treble strings, and about 15.5 pounds on the next three strings, with 15 on the final E. Not sure how that's going to feel, but hopefully it's pretty good. Tuning is E A E A D G B E, gauges are .80 .60 .40 .22 .15 .12 .09 and I customized the scale length for each string in the tool to account for the fanned frets.

My preferred tuning is drop A, but I've been wanting to hit lower notes for certain parts, and also get a longer scale than the 25.5" guitars I have.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
FWIW, Ormsby guitars themselves are for the most part excellent instruments. The issue is that unfortunately when there have been QC issues, they have been handled poorly on Ormsby's end as far as I can tell. Take that with a grain of salt as there are still plenty of people buying them (myself included) however it's a risk worth keeping in mind if you live overseas from Australia.

Yeah, agree with all of that. His policy of "contact us by email before you rage about your issue on a forum" isn't super unreasonable, but his approach to it kinda is. His handling of that stuff has been very abrasive at times.

The run 1 Hype that I had was honestly one of the better guitars I've owned. Overall, it was better than any Ibanez I've owned or played (I haven't played any Prestige ones though) and almost as good as my 1997 USA PRS.

If I hadn't already well and truly scratched my 8 string itch with an M80M, I'd definitely be looking at a Hype 8.

Reactions: Vyn

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, agree with all of that. His policy of "contact us by email before you rage about your issue on a forum" isn't super unreasonable, but his approach to it kinda is. His handling of that stuff has been very abrasive at times.

The run 1 Hype that I had was honestly one of the better guitars I've owned. Overall, it was better than any Ibanez I've owned or played (I haven't played any Prestige ones though) and almost as good as my 1997 USA PRS.

If I hadn't already well and truly scratched my 8 string itch with an M80M, I'd definitely be looking at a Hype 8.

It's really frustrating because I agree with a lot of what Perry has to say regarding shit customers (I worked in retail/speciality retail for years and years, there's some fucking entitled muppets out there that's for sure) however the way he presents his ideas rubs people the wrong way big time.

PRS_Baritone_Vito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd say tune down a 7 string instead of getting the 8 if you aren't doing solos and don't have use for the highest string. You definitely need a scale length of at least 28" minimum for going down to that low E. I would suggest something close to 29", though. I play 6 string baritones with 27.7" scales tuned primarily in Drop A# with 14-68 gauge sets. I've gotten them down to G and F# tunings with a low 74 gauge string, but I think that low string is still too floppy in that scale length. Someone mentioned the Agile 28" 7 string so you might want to check one of those out if you can.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
After some research and considering the advice in this thread I ordered a Cort KX508MS and set of D'd NYXL strings. All the 7s in my price range I was interested in, had 27 - 25.5 scales, but I really wanted at least 28" for the E. I also liked Agile, but the only multiscale 8s I could find had the Kahler trem, which I read isn't that great.

The Cort has 28" - 26.5" scale, and using the string tension pro calculator .80 will give 15 pounds. I ordered individual strings which should give me around 14.4 pounds on the three treble strings, and about 15.5 pounds on the next three strings, with 15 on the final E. Not sure how that's going to feel, but hopefully it's pretty good. Tuning is E A E A D G B E, gauges are .80 .60 .40 .22 .15 .12 .09 and I customized the scale length for each string in the tool to account for the fanned frets.

My preferred tuning is drop A, but I've been wanting to hit lower notes for certain parts, and also get a longer scale than the 25.5" guitars I have.

Sounds like a great plan! Can’t wait for the NGD (with pics and audio!)

HanSulu

Djentleman_007
Reaction score
I hope it's okay me adding onto this thread, I find myself in a situation very similar. And it seemed smarter than starting a new one for something so similar. Apologies in advance if this seems rude or the wrong way to ask this. It's been quite a while since I've been on here.

After taking a 3 year break away from music entirely (including selling all my gear) I find myself in the same sort of position. My delima is I want a trem but also kinda want an 8 string again. I decided a 28" or so scale 7 string with a trem is probably the best bet for me cost wise. I've owned Agiles in the past and at my price point they seem to make the most sense, especially if I could find one used to save some money yet I seem to be having trouble finding any used and I only see one on Rondo music. I've not written that one off completely but would kinda prefer one with a floyd instead of a khaler.

I'm I missing something? A few years ago I would see used agiles for sale all the time and now there's hardly any. Or are there any other longer scale 7's you guys would recommend? I could probably stretch my money up to about the $700-$800 price range in a pinch. The only real musts are floyd and 27" or higher scale. Thanks in advance!

PRS_Baritone_Vito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hope it's okay me adding onto this thread, I find myself in a situation very similar. And it seemed smarter than starting a new one for something so similar. Apologies in advance if this seems rude or the wrong way to ask this. It's been quite a while since I've been on here.

After taking a 3 year break away from music entirely (including selling all my gear) I find myself in the same sort of position. My delima is I want a trem but also kinda want an 8 string again. I decided a 28" or so scale 7 string with a trem is probably the best bet for me cost wise. I've owned Agiles in the past and at my price point they seem to make the most sense, especially if I could find one used to save some money yet I seem to be having trouble finding any used and I only see one on Rondo music. I've not written that one off completely but would kinda prefer one with a floyd instead of a khaler.

I'm I missing something? A few years ago I would see used agiles for sale all the time and now there's hardly any. Or are there any other longer scale 7's you guys would recommend? I could probably stretch my money up to about the $700-$800 price range in a pinch. The only real musts are floyd and 27" or higher scale. Thanks in advance!

I don't know if you saw these Agile 7 strings. They all have 27" scales and Floyd Rose trems. I see that Kahler model on their site as well.

https://www.rondomusic.com/product9491.html
https://www.rondomusic.com/product9888.html
https://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_Interceptor_Pro_727_EB_CP_TribalGreen.html

HanSulu

Djentleman_007
Reaction score
I will say I love the look of those legacy's. I would surely have to get new pups but that's to be expected.

Doesn't seem to be too many reviews on them, though I assume it's safe to expect the same sort of quality/playability as their usual offerings?

Also in looking for reviews I found some of the other finish options Kurt had and wow their were some breath taking options. May have to inquire about if and when some of those may come back in stock.

Thanks for pointing those out. Not sure how I missed them.

PRS_Baritone_Vito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I will say I love the look of those legacy's. I would surely have to get new pups but that's to be expected.

Doesn't seem to be too many reviews on them, though I assume it's safe to expect the same sort of quality/playability as their usual offerings?

Also in looking for reviews I found some of the other finish options Kurt had and wow their were some breath taking options. May have to inquire about if and when some of those may come back in stock.

Thanks for pointing those out. Not sure how I missed them.

I've played two Agiles in the past and they both seemed to have the same build quality/playability. One was a 6 string baritone and the other was a 7 string baritone, which I think was a 28". My buddy had it in a F# 8 string tuning.

Agiles and Schecters are my go-to recommendations for people that are looking to spend under $500 on an electric.

HanSulu

Djentleman_007
Reaction score
Yeah I've owned 2 interceptors one was a 28" the other I think was a 25". I also owned a pendulum 8 string and enjoyed them all but I had a bad habit of always trading guitars for other guitars constantly lol

I've also owned a number of schecters including a prototype banshee 8 active, it was actually the purple one displayed at namm the year they were announced. I really miss that guitar :(

Latest posts