Should I Sell My 5150 III To Get a 6505(5150)?

• Thread starter Kyle-Vick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
But at least in the actual 5150 stuff, it can be dialed out. It was like, permanently baked into the Kraken.

Dunno, man. 5150s to me are like the new Plexis. There's a fuckton of takes on them, yet everyone agrees the original sounds the best.

Ironically, the Kraken is the only one that ever got my interest. Perhaps because it sounds the most different of them all, and I'm fucking tired of every metal clip sounding the same.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
The EVH is a bit different than the Peavey. I've A/B'ed the 6505+ 112 to the 5150 III 50 watt, and I find the Peavey has more low mid thump, while the EVH has more high mid cut and presence. Both sound great, just depends on what you prefer.

The MIC 6505 isn't really the best comp. But seeing as you like that more anyways...

dhgrind

Reaction score
Dunno, man. 5150s to me are like the new Plexis. There's a fuckton of takes on them, yet everyone agrees the original sounds the best.

Ironically, the Kraken is the only one that ever got my interest. Perhaps because it sounds the most different of them all, and I'm fucking tired of every metal clip sounding the same.

If you don’t like 5150’s so much what’s a better alternative in your opinion for something outside the realm of that amp sound.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

Axe fx SD2 mixtest 3!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
If you don’t like 5150’s so much what’s a better alternative in your opinion for something outside the realm of that amp sound.
There is no "better". Check out any other amp in existence that's not a 5150, and find out wether you like it or not.

People nowadays are so used to being told what to do. Instead of asking "what's the best X", try stuff and decide yourself.

Last edited:

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
There is no "better". Check out any other amp in existence that's not a 5150, and find out wether you like it or not.

People are so used to be told what to do. Instead of asking "what's the best X", try stuff and decide yourself.

I agree. “Better” is incomplete. Better at what and for whom.

BadSeed

Reaction score

I agree with the 5150 being widely overused (There's a good reason for it) but in my experience, peopl definitely don't all agree the original is the best. Not that I'm trying to argue semantics, haha, I think your statements have validity, but people really seem to be leaning into the 5150 III offerings these days

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with the 5150 being widely overused (There's a good reason for it) but in my experience, peopl definitely don't all agree the original is the best. Not that I'm trying to argue semantics, haha, I think your statements have validity, but people really seem to be leaning into the 5150 III offerings these days

Change "everyone" for "most" if you prefer, since looks like we're splitting hairs here. Either way, the 50W Stealth is the "flavour of the month". Give it time to settle, and people will get back at praising the original :lol:

Last edited:

dhgrind

Reaction score

People nowadays are so used to being told what to do. Instead of asking "what's the best X", try stuff and decide yourself.

i more or less wanted a look into what you think is superior to a 5150.

I love the 5150/6505 sound and don't plan on switching anytime soon. I've tried other peavey models, KSR's, Oranges etc. Most of the stuff i want to try now is just hard to get a hold of. VTM's, Sunn Model T's, Ampeg vh140c's etc.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
i more or less wanted a look into what you think is superior to a 5150.

I love the 5150/6505 sound and don't plan on switching anytime soon. I've tried other peavey models, KSR's, Oranges etc. Most of the stuff i want to try now is just hard to get a hold of. VTM's, Sunn Model T's, Ampeg vh140c's etc.

Ok, I'll say it again:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
so I guess you’re just going to refuse to answer. Which is your choice. I don’t want you to tell me what amps to try I just wanted to see where your head was at but I can take an educated guess based on both your responses to me.
My response would be worthless to you. What's the point of your question? Maybe I play gospel and say a Fender Twin. :shrug:

I don't think anything is "better". Just better suited to someone's tastes. Is it that hard to understand?
Build quality is another matter, though. That is a more objective subject.

Mike_R

Reaction score
I started with a 50w 6L6, then got an OG 5150, and finally a 100w Stealth. I got the OG 5150 trying to get what I couldn't get from the 50w, turns out I needed a different cab. I like the 5150, but it really needs an EQ in the loop to work for me. Even though everyone talks about it being more "aggressive" it seems to me its just a slightly looser gain structure with some nasty frequencies I have to pull down in the EQ.

I am going to end up selling the 50w and 5150, I think, but for me the 5150 was at best a sidegrade from the 5153 50w and I liked the EVH's flexibility better. I was worried I was missing out, so I bought - in hindsight I don't believe that I was.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I would get it and try it out. When the bug bites you, you won't just let it go no matter what we tell you. If you like it better, cool. If not, flip it. Worst case scenario you satisfied your curiosity in the process.