Show Me Your Bass!

• Thread starter rummy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kidmendel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats on that! Is the neck very thick on it?
It’s definitely thicker than my jazz bass but I’ve gotten used to it fairly quickly. I don’t think I’d describe it as thick but in no world is it thin.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
pMrsoyt.jpg

Marked Man

Reaction score
My beloved LTDs:

My first 5-string and with an ebony top (I admit up front to being shallow and having initial interest due to the beauty of the top):

e63PrPc.jpg

My next step up into the multi-scale arena:

X2CjZUJ.jpg

The longer scale makes all the difference on the Low B and E, and Nordstrand Big Singles are a step up also. I was again shallow and initially attracted due to the beautiful rosewood slab top. :wub3: Even more shallow, I hunted until I could find a shop that showed the actual bass for sale so I could get a pattern I loved. I'm a sucker for natural finishes and practically insist on them for bass. My next target is an Aria Pro II SB1000 as John Taylor and Cliff Burton often played, will be a natural oak 4-string for me. I use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI to record straight to the board, sounds great! I'd like to get a real bass amp (which I've never had) but haven't gotten around to it yet....

I'm a guitarist first and bass player/drummer second, but I learned how to play the others very early on for home studio projects (within 2 years of first learning to play guitar) and can enjoy them just as much as guitar when I'm in the mood. Even taught myself how to play keys (just barely :wavey:) to flesh out my song projects, which tend to be heavily influenced by '70s proto-prog up through more recent prog metal, typically European in flavor with key chords often in the background (no keyboard solo wankery however....).

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
20231001_103917.jpg

Scored this for £200 at a used instrument shop in Tokyo. Early 90s MIJ Aria Pro II Avenger ZB. Short scale, 32". Upper bout is like one giant bevel tapering down to a thin edge, neck is very fast, almost feels like a Jackson or ESP. Gonna put it in Drop D for the powerviolence band

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 131219

Scored this for £200 at a used instrument shop in Tokyo. Early 90s MIJ Aria Pro II Avenger ZB. Short scale, 32". Upper bout is like one giant bevel tapering down to a thin edge, neck is very fast, almost feels like a Jackson or ESP. Gonna put it in Drop D for the powerviolence band
That's really cool! Would preffer if it was longer scale but thats a really nice one :)

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Picked up this mid 2000s MIK Dean Edge 6 bass, all stock except the bridge has been changed to one that gives 16mm spacing instead of the stock 15mm. Really happy with the purchase, it's been a ton of fun to play.

1706979718173.png

Need to wind some pickups for it, but not in a huge rush on that, it sounds good enough for now.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recently went through a few Mustangs to find the one I want to keep. I had one years ago and regretted selling it. I loved its punchy tone, but back then I was really intolerant of any hint of neck-dive. Now I don't care as much. No other bass I've ever had punches as hard as the Mustang.

You can see the ones I went through and the one I kept in this photo list:
Rob's Axes Past & Present.jpg