Show Us Your Home Studio Setup!

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Done a lot of work to rework my setup.

This is a beautiful setup.

Manley preamps and EQ/Dynamics, Mastering AD/DA, Helix <3, Torpedo studio.

Man do those M-Audios, position near the wall, and the lack of treatment stand out though. Like duuuuude :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

4Eyes

Reaction score
exactly my thoughts, but I guess upgrading monitors and room threatment are on todo list? :)

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
exactly my thoughts, but I guess upgrading monitors and room threatment are on todo list? :)

Indeed, and it's not as overwhelming as you might think.

I think your monitors are capable enough if budget is a concern.
I'm only using M-Audio AV-40's and I'm getting great results that translate well, and I specifically monitor at just above conversation level.

See my thread about my studio above.
I had Auralex do the free room analysis, then I went and sourced materials on Ebay for 1/10th cost of what I would have spent through Auralex.

Of the vendors I used on Ebay:
FoamExpress: http://stores.ebay.com/foamnmoreinc/
and
Urban.Mall: http://stores.ebay.com/swankfashionla/

You can find Blackout or Sound Dampening Curtains easily enough via Overstock.com or Target using the Sun Zero or Eclipse brands. Heck, you mind even find comparable curtains at Ikea.

It's sooooooooo worth the effort.

4Eyes

Reaction score
IMO the point was to highlight contrast between "entry" level monitorst compared to nice, I woulds say high end gear like Manley, AD/DA on the picture :)

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
If budget is a concern, he shouldn't have spent $2200 on a 2 channel mastering grade AD/DA converter, and $4000 on Manley channel strips, $2500 on a Manley Compressor, $3200 on the stereo pultec EQ....

And like $500 on monitors... you know.... the bits you listen with... because you're making music, for other people to listen to...

It's the one part that Waves can't help you with...2

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
If budget is a concern, he shouldn't have spent $2200 on a 2 channel mastering grade AD/DA converter, and $4000 on Manley channel strips, $2500 on a Manley Compressor, $3200 on the stereo pultec EQ....

And like $500 on monitors... you know.... the bits you listen with... because you're making music, for other people to listen to...

It's the one part that Waves can't help you with...2

Exactly.
I'm getting a lot done with Pro Tools 12, everything in the box, and a pair of AV-40's in a nicely treated room that cost me less that $200 to treat.

The ears are the most valuable tool. Nurture them, and the rest will follow.

Caleb Joshua

Reaction score
Heres my guitar rack/interface. i cant show my pc setup online, sorry.

0707161959a_zps8tdy4phe.jpg

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
This is a beautiful setup.

Manley preamps and EQ/Dynamics, Mastering AD/DA, Helix <3, Torpedo studio.

Man do those M-Audios, position near the wall, and the lack of treatment stand out though. Like duuuuude :scratch:

Yeah, I know, I just moved into the place I am in, and so I havn't had a chance to mount all of the wall treatment that I have, and my best friend works for a company that makes high-end speaker systems, and is in the process of building me a set of custom monitors.

Yup

IMO the point was to highlight contrast between "entry" level monitorst compared to nice, I woulds say high end gear like Manley, AD/DA on the picture :)

In the mean time I do have the Sennheiser HD800S headphone setup on the table that I use as well, which are my primary way of listening and working on music right now. Sure, you'll find people who think that headphones are the worst thing in the world to mix on, but I find I mix quite well with these, and I do have other headphones that I use as reference in addition to the speakers.

Last edited:

4Eyes

Reaction score
Sure, you'll find people who think that headphones are the worst thing in the world to mix on

I'm huge fan of mixing on headphones and I do mix on headphones as well. If it's ok for pro enginners, who deliver grammy winning songs, to mix on headphones, why I should not be ok with that? It's just matter of knowing the gear and knowing what to do with it

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
I'm huge fan of mixing on headphones and I do mix on headphones as well. If it's ok for pro enginners, who deliver grammy winning songs, to mix on headphones, why I should not be ok with that? It's just matter of knowing the gear and knowing what to do with it

Exactly. I have a high end pair of headphones, and that's what I prefer to do my work on anyways, and I am very satisfied with what I produce, it comes out sounding the way that who ever I am working with and I intend it to.

Enselmis

Reaction score
Exactly.
I'm getting a lot done with Pro Tools 12, everything in the box, and a pair of AV-40's in a nicely treated room that cost me less that $200 to treat.

The ears are the most valuable tool. Nurture them, and the rest will follow.

No offense, but your room isn't even on the spectrum of nicely treated. $200 worth of foam is a drop in the bucket. Go download room EQ wizard, put up a mic where your head would be and run a few sweeps, then take a peek at the waterfall graphs. That's not to say you can't do good work, but there's no planet where a room with some foam is nicely treated.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
No offense, but your room isn't even on the spectrum of nicely treated. $200 worth of foam is a drop in the bucket. Go download room EQ wizard, put up a mic where your head would be and run a few sweeps, then take a peek at the waterfall graphs. That's not to say you can't do good work, but there's no planet where a room with some foam is nicely treated.

No, but some treatment is often times better than no treatment (totally circumstances where having some treatment that's not properly placed can mess up the acoustics of a room).

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
No, but some treatment is often times better than no treatment (totally circumstances where having some treatment that's not properly placed can mess up the acoustics of a room).

This.

I still plan on having the room "pink noised" & compensated for, but as with any project, phases are completed in accordance with affordability, and my situation is no different.

Is my studio setup "ideal"?
By no means, but it's what I can accomplish on the budget that I have.

Is it better than it was before, and much more translational to other playback devices?
Absolutely, not perfect, but a significant improvement nonetheless.

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
My current Riff Lab. Little more compact than what I used to have (I'm temporarily living in a smaller apartment, but it's at a friends house, so at least i can be fairly loud almost whenever I want!), but i'm kinda' liking the streamlined nature of this setup.

Got foam in a checkboard pattern along the wall behind the black sheet (same thing on the opposing wall)... dunno if that deadens stuff more, or renders them pointeless.

Most of the stuff here is pretty obvious what it is. My interface is an M-Audio delta-1010lt card, so thats all internal into that tower (Dell tower with couple of Intel dual Core's, and 32gb of RAM). The mic is a Shure SM7B for vocal tracking. Monitors are M-Audio BX8a's... I also have the accompanying sub as well, but gotta do some minor repair work on it (little phase mini-switch on the back managed to get busted in during a move last year).

Down side here is space constraints... so my 4x12, and 4x10 are stored away (not playing with anyone now nor have in awhile, and I record direct with my Axe FX Ultra anyway). Upside is my living room is other other side of this room and my coach, stereo, TV and mini-fridge are less than 15' away at all times.

DSCN3461_zpsv078mx7d.jpg

DSCN3462_zps0nvrztxb.jpg

DSCN3463_zps4krw7bzr.jpg

DSCN3438_zpshwl7ykca.jpg

(Atmosphere Mode!)

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Exactly.
:rofl:

Even if you built your own panels for treatment with cheap burlap and materials from Home Depot, the necessary amount in order to properly treat a small room (I'm thinking around a 12" x 12" up to a 15" x 15" or so room) would cost more than that. I hope that you aren't using "acoustic foam". That stuff is absolutely useless and doesn't do a damn thing for treatment.

Given To Fly

Reaction score

Treatment aside, is that a LaCie Sphère on your desk too? Or am I just imagining it? :scratch:
I don't think anyone knows what Sennheiser HD800S's are either, but in the end that might be a good thing. I would not mind owning a pair! :yesway:

Sumsar

Reaction score
So I did some upgrading to my home setup, by getting new acoustic treatment :D

The treatment is from EQ acoustics, brought via Thomann. These are panels made with the fiberglass thing and is an upgrade to the foampanels I started with.

They are close to ½ by 1 meter and I have two 5 cm panels placed on either side of the monitors as well as one on my back wall and then two 2.5 cm hanging as a cloud over my desk.

I still have a single 5 cm panel left which I think I will put between my amp and my guitar stand.

Pictures:

I have to say this was a great investment! I got some foam panels about a year ago when I first moved into this place, and while they where an improvement (people who say they do nothing are dumb), this is by far a much better solution, but ofc also a lot more pricy :)

I have the panels on L backets so they are spaced about 5 cm off the wall and they weren't that hard to put up, although my walls are like 1.5 cm of plaster over massive brickwall, which was a bit of a mess.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
:rofl:

Even if you built your own panels for treatment with cheap burlap and materials from Home Depot, the necessary amount in order to properly treat a small room (I'm thinking around a 12" x 12" up to a 15" x 15" or so room) would cost more than that. I hope that you aren't using "acoustic foam". That stuff is absolutely useless and doesn't do a damn thing for treatment.

I cited my sources in this post, same thread.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showpost.php?p=4642267&postcount=1724