Show Us Your Home Studio Setup!

Enselmis

Reaction score
No, but some treatment is often times better than no treatment (totally circumstances where having some treatment that's not properly placed can mess up the acoustics of a room).

Oh absolutely, every bit counts. It just bugs me a bit that somebody would post about how $200 of foam is amazing and totally changed their room. It isn't okay to spread misinformation just because you don't know any better. Killing a tiny bit of flutter echo doesn't make a room treated, and advocating to other people that foam is wonderful and helpful does more harm than good.

Putting 2 inches of foam in the corners and rambling about how it made the bass response better is even worse. Other people in this thread might see that and think it's actually true, and then go out and waste their money on the same garbage. I just want people to approach treatment from more realistic direction, where treatment decisions are based on measurement data (which, I would remind everybody in this thread, is both free and dead simple to use) and not completely anecdotal.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Oh absolutely, every bit counts. It just bugs me a bit that somebody would post about how $200 of foam is amazing and totally changed their room. It isn't okay to spread misinformation just because you don't know any better. Killing a tiny bit of flutter echo doesn't make a room treated, and advocating to other people that foam is wonderful and helpful does more harm than good.

Putting 2 inches of foam in the corners and rambling about how it made the bass response better is even worse. Other people in this thread might see that and think it's actually true, and then go out and waste their money on the same garbage. I just want people to approach treatment from more realistic direction, where treatment decisions are based on measurement data (which, I would remind everybody in this thread, is both free and dead simple to use) and not completely anecdotal.

I understand what you're saying, but many folks are using their home studios on limited budgets, and resources that are FREE can be helpful, such as the free room analysis from Auralex. Their recommendations were not just for foam products, but room configuration too. I relocated my desk from one wall to the current wall on their recommendation.

It also helps to take into consideration the context of the room's purpose.
In my case, I listen to playback at reasonably lower volumes, use modelling technology direct to interface and in other things I use virtual synths all in the box, and I do some vocal tracking in their as well.

Is it ideal? By no means.
Is it a working alternative? Absolutely

It's not like I'm tracking live drums in there as well as a choir or an orchestra. A studio like mine falls into the category of "Project Studio" which is more typical nowadays. Look what Periphery have accomplished in recording in a similar environment, then going out to a larger studio to track drums.

If I had my way, and $$$, I'd have converted my garage which would involve major construction. It just wasn't realistic in my situation.

So, $200 indeed worked wonders for this small 9' x 10' room, compared to before.

Context.

Kride

Idjit
Reaction score
31085599342_116f969612_b.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Enselmis

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but many folks are using their home studios on limited budgets, and resources that are FREE can be helpful, such as the free room analysis from Auralex. Their recommendations were not just for foam products, but room configuration too. I relocated my desk from one wall to the current wall on their recommendation.

It also helps to take into consideration the context of the room's purpose.
In my case, I listen to playback at reasonably lower volumes, use modelling technology direct to interface and in other things I use virtual synths all in the box, and I do some vocal tracking in their as well.

Is it ideal? By no means.
Is it a working alternative? Absolutely

It's not like I'm tracking live drums in there as well as a choir or an orchestra. A studio like mine falls into the category of "Project Studio" which is more typical nowadays. Look what Periphery have accomplished in recording in a similar environment, then going out to a larger studio to track drums.

If I had my way, and $$$, I'd have converted my garage which would involve major construction. It just wasn't realistic in my situation.

So, $200 indeed worked wonders for this small 9' x 10' room, compared to before.

Context.

Did you miss that part where I pointed out that measuring before treating your room is "FREE"? You're still missing the point. The purpose of your treatment is to more accurately hear what you are mixing so you can make better decisions. Doesn't matter if you've got racks upon racks of outboard or a mac mini and a POD. I understand fully that it's a project studio. My point is that if you were to take the free measurement tools that are available and use them to make measurements of your room before and after adding your foam, you would see little to no difference, particularly with regards to your supposed improved bass response.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Did you miss that part where I pointed out that measuring before treating your room is "FREE"? You're still missing the point. The purpose of your treatment is to more accurately hear what you are mixing so you can make better decisions. Doesn't matter if you've got racks upon racks of outboard or a mac mini and a POD. I understand fully that it's a project studio. My point is that if you were to take the free measurement tools that are available and use them to make measurements of your room before and after adding your foam, you would see little to no difference, particularly with regards to your supposed improved bass response.

Point taken, thank you.

4Eyes

Reaction score
slowly adding things, new monitors - Dynaudio LYD5

some more pics with more lights
16123329_1646219925672620_5574427934535450624_n.jpg

it's "space saving" design in my wardrobe, women have clothes in there, I have my home studio in it :lol:

16142757_10211586753494315_8919893014865706769_n.jpg

for treatment I did what I could - back, sides below and over the monitors up to the top where lights are placed are filled in with thick acoustic foam used for sound insulation, it really helped to get rid of boomy low end. but it sounds good, can't go too loud so all problems that should be there are not so prominent. I'm planning to do some measurements to see at what volume I'll start to have real problems at this space..

fearlessguster

Reaction score
My happy place. I badly need room treatment but I am waiting until I have a more permanent location for the studio. Also I am too lazy to embed the pictures right now, sorry it's late :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_7710.jpg
    IMG_7710.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7711.jpg
    IMG_7711.jpg
    977.3 KB · Views: 118

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for something bigger to hang over the monitor, but it's getting there :) Unfortunately it's an apartment so if I want to get loud I have to go to the rehearsal space, but for production and mixing it's stellar!

19577178_322954744817998_7413077921817120727_o.jpg

19983505_322954751484664_3929896586705720368_o.jpg

19944390_322954748151331_4417983356352535711_o.jpg

Gear:
- 2015 MacBook Pro, 2,5GHz i7, 16 Gb RAM
- 40" Philips TV
- Adam A5 speakers
- Artisul graphics tablet
- Focusrite Saffire Pro14 interface

- Novation SL MkII 49 Keyboard
- Roli Seaboard Rise 25
- NI Maschine MkII
- Korg Kaoss Pad Quad

- Kemper Rack
- Axe-Fx Standard
- BJ Devices TB-11P controller

- Warmoth 7-string strat
- Fame Forum 7-string
- Gibson LP Standard (2002)
- Fender MIJ Strat (1983)
- Ibanez AEL acoustic
- Taylor 12-string acoustic

I've also got a bunch of guitars stored at the rehearsal space and at friends' places.

Last edited:

iampaul

Reaction score
imac 27 i7 32gb
Focusrite clarett 8pre
Two notes Torpedo Live
DBX286A
KRK Rokit 5 gen3
Line6 mobile keys 49

All these seats near Orange TH30, which is connected to cab through Torpedo Live. And small studio board with all the necessities, always connected to the amp.
TZyTiDaCCfU.jpg

8sptYScrvXk.jpg