Single pickup guitars

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soliloquy

Reaction score
View attachment 136339

My bastardized Fender Stagemaster 7 string. Originally was blue with dual direct mounted DiMarzio Air Norton humbuckers, a gross blue finish with the fat Strat body shape. I took the body to a band saw, reshaped the horns and also the headstock, filled in the neck pickup cavity and threw in a DiMarzio D-activator into the bridge and tuned it to A standard Korn tuning.
I made my own Solar before Ola Englund did :lol:

How did you fill the neck pickup cavity?
Kind of debating on doing the same on a different guitar

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
in 2016 I was gifted an absolute shitmachine PRS SE that had been spraypainted pink, only had 5 strings because there was no tuner for the high E, and all the electronicis had been removed save for a single humbucker wired straight to the output jack. wish I'd kept some pictures of that beast, it was my open mic guitar for a couple years. one night my band at the time was covering modest moust for an april fool's show, the strap broke during out of gas and I just left it on the floor and kicked it around while continuing to sing. ahhhh, memories.

Perge

Reaction score
I'm surprised the ltd arctic/black metal line havent come up. Have my phoenix in my pfp. The only neck PU tone I really like is the hendrix-y tone which I have my strat for, otherwise Im always on the bridge. 2024 LTD lineup also has a bunch of bridge only guitars, they've got their customer base figured
They really do. I know it won't happen, but a black metal run of SVs and random stars. The world would definitely suck a little less.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
How did you fill the neck pickup cavity?
Kind of debating on doing the same on a different guitar

I can't remember the brand as it was 2011, probably 3M epoxy. It took a while to set, once it solidified it was really smooth - I used some sandpaper on it to rough it up for the red paint hold on very well.

Loydthebartender

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've owned several single pickup guitars and I've always returned them. I love the idea of a single pickup. I do NOT like the idea of a single volume knob. 25.5 scale guitars really need a tone knob imo. Even if it's always on 10, just something to cut the top end off a bit. Every time I have had a guitar like this I always end up reaching for a tone knob that's not there, looked into how much work it would require to drill into the guitar and install a tone knob, then just sent the guitar back. If only single pickup guitars with a tone knob were more common.

Toejam

Reaction score
I saw the trans yellow carvin and I knew your username exactly from the days on jcfonline. Crazy blast from the past.
Nice! 😎 Haha I'm still an admin over there, but don't really go there all that much. The Facebook page seems to get more traffic these days.

Toejam

Reaction score
I've owned several single pickup guitars and I've always returned them. I love the idea of a single pickup. I do NOT like the idea of a single volume knob. 25.5 scale guitars really need a tone knob imo. Even if it's always on 10, just something to cut the top end off a bit. Every time I have had a guitar like this I always end up reaching for a tone knob that's not there, looked into how much work it would require to drill into the guitar and install a tone knob, then just sent the guitar back. If only single pickup guitars with a tone knob were more common.
You could always just get a concentric pot so you've got both volume and tone on the same pot. The outer section is usually volume with the inner for tone.

soliloquy

Reaction score

May not be as versatile, but you could always mess with EQ on your amp/pedals to compensate for the lack of tone knob?

Also, side track, but you mentioned that a 25.5 scale could benefit from a tone knob. What about 24.75 or 25 scale length? Just curious.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score