Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm sure if the sales weren't doing so good and there was enough demand for no inlay they would switch, but it seems like they're doing just fine. I like the look of the few models they have with the signature inlay as well as the small dot inlays

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I still don’t know why you guys are pooping your pants over this, if you don’t like it don’t get a Solar :lol:

Unfortunately SSO only lets a post be liked once, however this x10. The market that Solar Guitars is aiming at doesn't really care about whether the inlay is there or not - if anything they wear it like a badge of pride for supporting the brand/Ola. If you don't like the inlay then you're not the intended market.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I would love to see an A1.7bd with no inlay, a bolt-on neck, a floyd, a regular not reverse headstock, along with either EMG, Fishmans, or Blackout type soapbar pickups. So basically a totally new model.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
A2.6FRLN-FRONT-HORIZONTAL.png

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/a2-6fr-ln-lemon-neon-matte/

A2.7FRLN-FRONT-HORIZONTAL.png

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/a2-7fr-ln-lemon-neon-matte/

First reaction was busting a nut to this.

But upon further reading, it turns out they only use FR Specials, standard side dots and nickel frets. That's lame. :(

I would have very happily paid extra for SS frets, luminlays and an FR 1000 tbh. No luminlays on a guitar with an insanely florescent finish like this? Seriously? That's a huge missed opportunity if you ask me.

Hopefully this will all be addressed next run and made into an A1.6/7. Then i'd buy one.

I would also have liked the specs you mentioned, but I ordered one anyways (7-string).

My rationale: for that price, there’s a lot I can modify over time. By “I”, I mean my trusted local luthier.

Also, it’s one of the few Solar 7s with a 25.5 scale length, which is great for shredders who like stretchy licks.

Floyd Rose Special:

I’m no Arnold Brainschweizer, so I don’t think I’ll bend or break some parts of the special FR because they’re made of zinc instead of steel. Also this is a trem, not a bench press bar, so I doubt it’ll go through metal warping tensions. Worst case: replace in a few years.

Nickel frets:

Nickel frets are marginally cheaper than stainless steel, but way harder to work with and may generate more labor costs (my guess as to why they were used to keep price down). It’s annoying but I can live with a re-fret in a few years. I’ll probably put in Jeskar SS 57110.

Last edited:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I would also have liked the specs you mentioned, but I ordered one anyways (7-string).

My rationale: for that price, there’s a lot I can modify over time. By “I”, I mean my trusted local luthier.

Also, it’s one of the few Solar 7s with a 25.5 scale length, which is great for shredders who like stretchy licks.

Floyd Rose Special:

I’m no Arnold Brainschweizer, so I don’t think I’ll bend or break some parts of the special FR because they’re made of zinc instead of steel. Also this is a trem, not a bench press bar, so I doubt it’ll go through metal warping tensions. Worst case: replace in a few years.

Nickel frets:

Nickel frets are marginally cheaper than stainless steel, but way harder to work with and may generate more labor costs (my guess as to why they were used to keep price down). It’s annoying but I can live with a re-fret in a few years. I’ll probably put in Jeskar SS 57110.
The Floyd Rose Special is by far the worst trem/floyd I've ever used so that's an instant no go from me. That bridge turned me off from Floyds years ago thinking all Floyds were like that. Never again.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
I know, I was just joking. Different strokes and all that.
I get it. My idea was to emphasize that 80s vibe. It would look cool with that neon body and supersized black solar logo on the body. I mean logo bigger than a body and placed under slight angle.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
The Floyd Rose Special is by far the worst trem/floyd I've ever used so that's an instant no go from me. That bridge turned me off from Floyds years ago thinking all Floyds were like that. Never again.

How does it compare to standard FRs in terms of playability and tuning stability? Every SFR player I’ve talked to said they’re basically the same as OFR.

Last edited:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
How does it compare to standard FRs in terms of playability and tuning stability? Every SFR player I’ve talked to said they’re basically the same as OFR.
I think you're mixing it up with the 1000 series. In quality from best to worst it goes Original, 1000, then Special. The Original and 1000 are identical besides the fact that the 1000 is made in Korea while the Original is still being made in Germany. The Special on the other hand can be found on $300 Jacksons. The tuning stability is not great and the parts are made from very cheap material. Day one with mine and I stripped one of the locking screws. I am super delicate when it comes to setting up my Floyds but that think was super finicky. At the end of the day, I'm sure you can get away with it, I just had a bad time with the two that I had. Let us know what you think of it when you get it.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
I think you're mixing it up with the 1000 series. In quality from best to worst it goes Original, 1000, then Special. The Original and 1000 are identical besides the fact that the 1000 is made in Korea while the Original is still being made in Germany. The Special on the other hand can be found on $300 Jacksons. The tuning stability is not great and the parts are made from very cheap material. Day one with mine and I stripped one of the locking screws. I am super delicate when it comes to setting up my Floyds but that think was super finicky. At the end of the day, I'm sure you can get away with it, I just had a bad time with the two that I had. Let us know what you think of it when you get it.

It sucks that you had a bad experience.

The materials and plate are different, but I was under the impression that they were similar in playability & stability.

I’ll let you know how it goes when I get it.

Latest posts