Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phantom81

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice blue burst on this one.

S1.6FRQOB-FRONT-HORIZONTAL.png
I'd love to see it with a green burst

Downfall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys

Does anybody knows if Ola have planned to create Solar multiscale guitars ? If so, do you know when they might be available ?
I saw that Ola answered directly on this post. If you can give me an answer, it would be awesome.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys

Does anybody knows if Ola have planned to create Solar multiscale guitars ? If so, do you know when they might be available ?
I saw that Ola answered directly on this post. If you can give me an answer, it would be awesome.
The answer is that it is pretty unlikely.

wakjob

Reaction score
True, and I've done it before. Still, I'd rather not take the chance at damaging a guitar or doing a sloppy job. I just try to stay away from gloss necks to make things easier.

Nothing to it my friend.
Just tape off the ends for a nice clean line, and have at it.
Or get some of that citrus gel paint remover and take it down to the bare wood + some tung oil. :yesway:

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Which Duncan's would be the closest to these Solar pu's?
Custom 5 / 59.
Nothing to it my friend.
Just tape off the ends for a nice clean line, and have at it.
Or get some of that citrus gel paint remover and take it down to the bare wood + some tung oil. :yesway:
Paint stripper doesn't work on poly finishes. It doesn't do a particularly good job on nitrocellulose either.

You use a heat gun and a scraper to remove it.

wakjob

Reaction score
Custom 5 / 59.

Paint stripper doesn't work on poly finishes. It doesn't do a particularly good job on nitrocellulose either.

You use a heat gun and a scraper to remove it.

Agree on the poly...but I've had good luck with that citrus gel stuff on most others.

There's another stripper that escapes my feeble mind atm that works really good also....damnit, can't think of it.

+ 1 on the heat gun also!!!
Those things are great. Use one all the time at work.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
True, and I've done it before. Still, I'd rather not take the chance at damaging a guitar or doing a sloppy job. I just try to stay away from gloss necks to make things easier.
I know, I just find it odd that you lust after many guitars on here, saying they're perfect etc just to cross them off the list because of a gloss neck when in reality it's an unbelievably easy and cheap fix. Or maybe you use the gloss neck as an excuse to not spend money on guitars? In which case I wholly endorse that mindset.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I know, I just find it odd that you lust after many guitars on here, just to cross them off the list because of a gloss neck when in reality it's an unbelievably easy and cheap fix.
You're not wrong. I guess I just like to live as comfortable and easy as possible, guitars included. If it's something that's literally perfect to me but has a glossy neck, I'd still consider it. Plus I just always prefer the feel of a tung oiled neck with the exception of Ibanez (which I still use steel wool on).

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I know, I just find it odd that you lust after many guitars on here, saying they're perfect etc just to cross them off the list because of a gloss neck when in reality it's an unbelievably easy and cheap fix. Or maybe you use the gloss neck as an excuse to not spend money on guitars? In which case I wholly endorse that mindset.
I'm just the same. I just don't feel like messing with it and essentially "devaluing" the guitar monetarily just to increase it's value to me. I've never been much of a modder on guitars other than pickups.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Any suggestion why this is unlikely enough? Would the price of guitars get too high or is it technically difficult to set up?

I think that this is related to similar situation as with lefties - not a huge demand for this kind of guitars from Solar. They stick with what sells best.

Merrekof

Reaction score
I think that this is related to similar situation as with lefties - not a huge demand for this kind of guitars from Solar. They stick with what sells best.
True, but on the other hand: they make guitar models in low volumes or batches, as I understand. So if they were to make one or two multiscale models, they wouldn't take a big risk. If they fail, the cost can be limited to just one or two batches wich will probably sit on the shelf a lot longer than usual.
It will also depend on how capable or comfortable Solars manufacturer is with multiscale guitars.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any suggestion why this is unlikely enough? Would the price of guitars get too high or is it technically difficult to set up?
My best guess is that it's simply not compatible with Ola's vision for the brand.

His vision for the brand is to use Evertune bridges on the majority of higher-end models. Evertune bridges are not compatible with multiscale instruments. Not unless you employ fans that have the neutral point at the bridge saddles themselves. Which would mean that the angle of the frets would need to be ridiculously extreme near the nut to facilitate having the neutral point of the fan at the opposite end of the guitar. Which would cause crippling design/ergonomic problems.

The way the Evertune bridge works helps to compensate for the problems that using lighter gauges of strings in lower tunings brings anyway.

Until the day comes that Evertune designs a version of the bridge that is compatible with multiscale instruments, the answer will remain unlikely.

It is what it is.

Last edited:

Downfall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
True, but on the other hand: they make guitar models in low volumes or batches, as I understand. So if they were to make one or two multiscale models, they wouldn't take a big risk. If they fail, the cost can be limited to just one or two batches wich will probably sit on the shelf a lot longer than usual.
It will also depend on how capable or comfortable Solars manufacturer is with multiscale guitars.

I fully agree, I don't think it's a big risk to make one or two models.
I also wonder if the manufacturer of Solars is capable of making multi-scale guitars.

My best guess is that it's simply not compatible with Ola's vision for the brand.

His vision for the brand is to use Evertune bridges on the majority of higher-end models. Evertune bridges are not compatible with multiscale instruments. Not unless you employ fans that have the neutral point at the bridge saddles themselves. Which would mean that the angle of the frets would need to be ridiculously extreme near the nut to facilitate having the neutral point of the fan at the opposite end of the guitar. Which would cause crippling design/ergonomic problems.

The way the Evertune bridge works helps to compensate for the problems that using lighter gauges of strings in lower tunings brings anyway.

Until the day comes that Evertune designs a version of the bridge that is compatible with multiscale instruments, the answer will remain unlikely.

It is what it is.

Thank you for your clarification, I understand better now. I still hope that Ola will come to give us an official answer!

Ola Englund

Reaction score
You have to understand there’s a lot more to it than just to sling out a new multi scale guitar just to HAVE a multi scale option. It takes a lot of time prototyping, making sure to work out any quirks etc. we’re still a very small brand growing slow.

IF we have a multi scale option it would be for the right reasons.

Downfall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You have to understand there’s a lot more to it than just to sling out a new multi scale guitar just to HAVE a multi scale option. It takes a lot of time prototyping, making sure to work out any quirks etc. we’re still a very small brand growing slow.

IF we have a multi scale option it would be for the right reasons.

Thanks for your answer Ola.