Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
S and V Svart series models with Evertune still missing and will inevitably arrive. If the price is ok I'm putting my buying pants on.
I'm liking that they've listened to the ppl who don't like the fretboard logo and more models with binding came also.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The Evertune was a good idea. I noticed she was constantly retuning her Hamer between songs. Apparently that thing refused to stay in tune for longer than a couple songs
380813542_18276891454195176_3819451478460124444_n.jpg
The more I think about it the more bummed imma be if she gets a sig model and it's just another pointy modern specced King V clone. I really hope she's able to convince them to do something more classic shaped.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Anyone here talking me out of Solars?
I don't know if I'd talk someone out of a Solar, as I do think they're decent for the price if it's truly what you want. But I will say the Solar S1.6HLB I had just was not that nice looking or feeling.

With that said, I also played a different model before that (E1.7FBB) in store and thought it played wonderfully. So maybe there's just some inconsistencies.

All I know is I've been very turned off from them since my S1.6 experience.

Zado

Reaction score
So all in all they are fine guitars but nothing absolutely must have right? Cause price here in Europe is tempting, much more than LTDs and Schecs, and I dig the very basic look. What are the problem usually seen on them? Do they feel plastic-y? Or sound dull? Frets?

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
So all in all they are fine guitars but nothing absolutely must have right? Cause price here in Europe is tempting, much more than LTDs and Schecs, and I dig the very basic look. What are the problem usually seen on them? Do they feel plastic-y? Or sound dull? Frets?

Well, when I make comparisons of the Solar I own with what Iā€™ve known for years, Iā€™m mainly comparing them to 90ā€™s MIJ Ibanez stuff. My E-type is flawless, even though itā€™s a B-stock. It took me 5 minutes to find the dent on the face of the body when I got it and Iā€™ve done far more damage to it since then.

Sorry, itā€™s not flawless; one of the side dots isnā€™t perfectly in line with the other ones. That and the ā€œdentā€ were the only two flaws in mine. Fretwork, overall construction, finish, everything else knocked it out of the park.

While thatā€™s the only one I played, my buddy has 4-5 of them and the only issue he ran into was a slight imperfection in the wood around the nut area that wasnā€™t even an issue he wanted to spend time fixing, if I remember right it just wasnā€™t sanded perfectly smooth in the nut slot, but didnā€™t fuck anything up.

Be prepared for someone to bring up cracked fingerboards, Iā€™ve been asking for proof itā€™s happened on more than one guitar but all I get back is ā€œtrust me broā€. $20 goes to the first person who can show me multiple pics of cracked fingerboards with proof itā€™s not the same guitar!

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
They are just solid workhorses. Nothing super special, and yet not super basic. I still very much enjoy my first-run A2.6 (NGD: Solar A2.6 - Pics and first impression) which I keep in B standard tuning.
It sounds great, plays great and - objectively - looks great.

I've been tempted more than once to add another Solar to my collection, but a lot of the models often comes with specs/features which aren't to my liking. I'm somewhat picky I guess...

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
New Svart models today, V's with Evertune.
Every product on release day has B-stock with QC passed stickers. wtf

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
New Svart models today, V's with Evertune.
Every product on release day has B-stock with QC passed stickers. wtf

Kinda how that works for any company, guitars come in, they check for functionality and finish, if itā€™s all good thatā€™s all there is to it, if itā€™s in perfect working order but has a blemish in the finish it becomes B-stock.

I dunno about you, but Iā€™d rather they identify the b-stocks instead of the customers doing it for them after theyā€™ve received the guitar, which is how Gibson does it.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, when I make comparisons of the Solar I own with what Iā€™ve known for years, Iā€™m mainly comparing them to 90ā€™s MIJ Ibanez stuff. My E-type is flawless, even though itā€™s a B-stock. It took me 5 minutes to find the dent on the face of the body when I got it and Iā€™ve done far more damage to it since then.

Sorry, itā€™s not flawless; one of the side dots isnā€™t perfectly in line with the other ones. That and the ā€œdentā€ were the only two flaws in mine. Fretwork, overall construction, finish, everything else knocked it out of the park.

While thatā€™s the only one I played, my buddy has 4-5 of them and the only issue he ran into was a slight imperfection in the wood around the nut area that wasnā€™t even an issue he wanted to spend time fixing, if I remember right it just wasnā€™t sanded perfectly smooth in the nut slot, but didnā€™t fuck anything up.

Be prepared for someone to bring up cracked fingerboards, Iā€™ve been asking for proof itā€™s happened on more than one guitar but all I get back is ā€œtrust me broā€. $20 goes to the first person who can show me multiple pics of cracked fingerboards with proof itā€™s not the same guitar!
I have an A1.6 and A2.7. The former is how you describe and feels practically flawless, I genuinely couldn't ask for anything better. The latter had a small, but real, crack at the first fret (fixed by the shop I bought it from), in fact I was the first person to post about the issue on the main Facebook owners group. There have been an abundance of evidenced occasions of cracked fretboards, even in other materials such as roasted maple. So, with the greatest of respect, outright stating the issue doesn't exist is cognitive bias. However, generally the cracks are barely even an aesthetic issue, let alone functional, and seem to have been otherwise rectified outside of 2020-2021 made guitars.

Pic of crack, it looked worse in person but still wasn't much of an issue:
119787211_10158050969977144_7826970724762667674_n.jpg

Zado

Reaction score
Are stock pickups keepers? Or is the swap mandatory? What about the overall hardware, is it on par with high end Schecs and LTDs?

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I have an A1.6 and A2.7. The former is how you describe and feels practically flawless, I genuinely couldn't ask for anything better. The latter had a small, but real, crack at the first fret (fixed by the shop I bought it from), in fact I was the first person to post about the issue on the main Facebook owners group. There have been an abundance of evidenced occasions of cracked fretboards, even in other materials such as roasted maple. So, with the greatest of respect, outright stating the issue doesn't exist is cognitive bias. However, generally the cracks are barely even an aesthetic issue, let alone functional, and seem to have been otherwise rectified outside of 2020-2021 made guitars.

Pic of crack, it looked worse in person but still wasn't much of an issue:
119787211_10158050969977144_7826970724762667674_n.jpg

I was more than happy to unconfirm my bias with actual evidence via pics, but as I said, no one ever presented them to me. Hahahaha I think you can find another post by me in this thread saying ā€œShow me pics of anything but the same red Solar with a crack in the fingerboardā€, though the pic I was referring to had the cracks around the inlay and it was the only pic I was ever shown when asked for proof.

Iā€™d be more than happy to change my stance on it all, I was back when it was being said incessantly, but I ultimately just put it in the ā€˜internet hater hypeā€™ file because despite how many times I asked for proof, it was never given, outside of the same pic of a red A type with a crack around the inlay.

The bias was created by seeing more texts posts about issues without seeing any actual proof of it.

Reactions: drb

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Are stock pickups keepers? Or is the swap mandatory? What about the overall hardware, is it on par with high end Schecs and LTDs?

I initially planned on changing mine then decided against it when I actually got it in my hands. Iā€™m on the fence now. It sounds fine, itā€™s just more curiosity thatā€™s making me wonder if something else would sound better. Iā€™ve been wanting to put a NazgĆ»l in it for a while.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was more than happy to unconfirm my bias with actual evidence via pics, but as I said, no one ever presented them to me. Hahahaha I think you can find another post by me in this thread saying ā€œShow me pics of anything but the same red Solar with a crack in the fingerboardā€, though the pic I was referring to had the cracks around the inlay and it was the only pic I was ever shown when asked for proof.

Iā€™d be more than happy to change my stance on it all, I was back when it was being said incessantly, but I ultimately just put it in the ā€˜internet hater hypeā€™ file because despite how many times I asked for proof, it was never given, outside of the same pic of a red A type with a crack around the inlay.

The bias was created by seeing more texts posts about issues without seeing any actual proof of it.
Yeah that's fair, I'm not gonna insist you trust me (bro) over your own experience. There definitely were a good few on the Facebook group for a period, but my point was that regardless it was hardly the issue it was made out to be. I'd still get another Solar any day, they're great guitars.