Speculation is getting out of hand...

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyCNote

Великий Пахан
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I’m one of many who'd either spend that sort of cash on a really nice custom job, or a very nice Schecter (like an Armageddon) and a top of the line amp head and a couple of speaker cabinets. Maybe if I had stacks of cash collecting dust and I were crazy bored, but until I reach that level, it’s too remote even to speculate…

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
No one is building more of the '80s/'90s guitars, so even questionable lineages start to become attractive to people who are now in their '50s and have money. (Full disclosure: I am one of these people). I wouldn't buy it - and I'll bet it's assembled from parts that were sold off from the Class Axe era - but someone will. Diablo makes money.

Yea, Diablo is probably the closest thing we have in the US to Essex Recording Studio.

mpexus

Reaction score
On your neighbor country closer to the Atlantic, you can also find OLX.PT, which also has a dedicated area for musical instruments. OLX also has a Polish site... and I'm sure there are more within the EU to browse...
It's called Leboncoin in France but good luck having french sellers selling anything to a foreigner and shipping it outside of France ;)

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
It's called Leboncoin in France but good luck having french sellers selling anything to a foreigner and shipping it outside of France ;)
Because we Europeans love each other more now that there's the European Union.
I'm anti-Unionist (not anti-Europeist) so I'm obviously biased, but I'm old enough to have witnessed that relations between various Countries are more tense now than before €.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Agreed! :)

There's a big difference between "not top two" and "most underdeveloped Country in Europe" haha!
Sweden, Finland, Norway, Netherland, Poland...
But I don't mean only regarding quality music output, but for the importance of music in the society at a cultural level.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, Diablo is probably the closest thing we have in the US to Essex Recording Studio.

Yeah, after I mentioned how he doubled the asking price of the Letchford CS7 in the Jackson FB group he came in saying that he bought it from Pat Sheridan and he cares su much for artists that he gave him a very fair price. So he has to sell it higher to be able to support artists. Bullshit at its finest. Saddest part was people actually believed him.

Also. Pat Sheridan, wherever you are, please stop buying USA CS7 Jacksons to later flip them to these scalpers. It's the third already, goddammit. Either stop buying them or just keep them :shrug:

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
You are speaking truth. Everyone thinks their used crap is worth 5k. I miss the days when you could get 90s fujigen Ibbys for 300$
giphy.gif

@Neon_Knight_
I hope this trend stops at one point since I feel like it spreads to other brands just as bad - just look at some Skervesens, or ESPs from that Indonesian shop.
Dude, you talking about HiEndGuitar in Indonesia? Fuck that shop.

But nowhere near as bad. The guy who runs Essex is a legitimate moron who doesn't even know what he is actually selling half of the time. Fuck him too.

mpexus

Reaction score
Because we Europeans love each other more now that there's the European Union.
I'm anti-Unionist (not anti-Europeist) so I'm obviously biased, but I'm old enough to have witnessed that relations between various Countries are more tense now than before €.
Actually it is because French are in general super suspicious of anything that falls out of their old ways.
They are like that in mostly anything... Paypal is still "Evil" for majority of sellers... they prefer fucking Checks... yes WTF fucking Checks in plain 2023... I haven't used a Check since mid 90's so when I had to do one to rent my Apartment I had to ask the Agency dude to do it for me.
They use Leboncoin a lot. Tell them about Reverb they have no clue what it is. Mostly I believe is due to their lack of English. Younger generations are better but they get shy trying to speak English because of their heavy accents, but large majority of people above 40's speak barely or simply no English at all.

Fabrice

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Actually it is because French are in general super suspicious of anything that falls out of their old ways.
They are like that in mostly anything... Paypal is still "Evil" for majority of sellers... they prefer fucking Checks... yes WTF fucking Checks in plain 2023... I haven't used a Check since mid 90's so when I had to do one to rent my Apartment I had to ask the Agency dude to do it for me.
They use Leboncoin a lot. Tell them about Reverb they have no clue what it is. Mostly I believe is due to their lack of English. Younger generations are better but they get shy trying to speak English because of their heavy accents, but large majority of people above 40's speak barely or simply no English at all.
I regularly buy and sell on LeBonCoin and never had a seller ask me to pay by check. Today this site has an integrated payment system, otherwise, bank transfer and Paypal are generally accepted.

Two other French sites if you want to buy and sell:

If you have difficulties or need help to make a purchase in France, send me a message.

Concerning the speculation on musical instruments, I have a lot of equipment that I could not afford today. Obviously, the Reverb prices have an impact on the French market prices.

Fabrice

Millul

Reaction score
On the European used market: I think Mercatino is currently the place with the best deals, and also with decent availability; I am constantly amazed at how BAD things are in Germany in thius regard, with eBay Kleinanzeige mostly having very few, overpriced itmes (fellow forumites from Germany - other places where we can find used guitars??).
The UK FB pages used to be pretty good, but having to pay VAT now puts the stuff there out of reach, or at least makes it a lot less of a proposition.

Italian Power Metal rant: this coming saturday, Domine are playing in my hometown (which is also theirs :lol: ) after YEARS and I'm 1000km away...:scream:

Shask

Reaction score
This. I see the Cort Suhr-alikes going for $450, with compound radius, decent hardware, and decent pickups. Even if you change out for higher-end hardware you're spending less than a grand, and while it won't be a Suhr, it'll be a good guitar.
I am really curious about those Harley Benton Fusion guitars. They seem like a lot of guitar for the money.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I am really curious about those Harley Benton Fusion guitars. They seem like a lot of guitar for the money.

They are. They also spark hot debates about instrument value on european guitar forums.

They also have a lot of QC issues, which is to be expected at that price point and specs (You have to cut corners somewhere). Good news is that Thomann's return policiy is great so if you want to go the "Strandberg way" and keep returning lemons until you get a good one, you can easily do it.

Reaction score
... so, a fairly local guy (about 200kms from me) posts an add for a UV777P from '99 or '00 in Facebook for 1€ (ok, I know, the guy isn't set on the guitar's price yet) so I gave him a call asking how much is he asking for it. The add said the guitar has gigged a bit, but then stayed as a show piece at his home and small studio. Photos aren't particular good, but the guitar does look to be in good condition. I asked the guy for how long has the guitar been shown and he replied that the guitar has been kept in its case for the previous 3 years and before that it hanged loose in the walls for an unspecified amount of time. The guy finally discloses that the guitar sold for 2500€ new back then (yeah, I knew that) and he was asking for 3k... I politely declined the deal...

Is he aware that that are other specimens of this guitar in Reverb for way less money and in Europe? it's like when one searches for "Ibanez *7* in guitars" there's 1 or 2 in each page results (some are repetitions...)? I haven't told him nothing, but I got mine for 1100€, used, but in good overall condition and it plays flawlessly, about 2 years ago.

Oh, the guitar had a Steve Vai signature in its headstock back...

mpexus

Reaction score
I regularly buy and sell on LeBonCoin and never had a seller ask me to pay by check. Today this site has an integrated payment system, otherwise, bank transfer and Paypal are generally accepted.

Fabrice
;)

Attachments

• check.PNG
    check.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 19

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
What's wrong with checks? I have an essay on why checks are better, but it's typed on my word processor, so I'll have to fax it to you, if you want to read it.

Sent on the go from my Blackberry SmartPhone

mpexus

Reaction score
What's wrong with checks? I have an essay on why checks are better, but it's typed on my word processor, so I'll have to fax it to you, if you want to read it.

Sent on the go from my Blackberry SmartPhone
No one uses checks from were I came from. My GF is British and she told me no one uses checks there as well for the past 30 Years, same as my Spanish colleagues, everybody refuses them in Spain.
Checks are something from the 19th century that were still a viable way of payment until late 20 century and even then a lot of places would refuse them by 1995-97. In fact even in France most supermarkets/restaurants/groceries shops wont accept them at all neither does any gas station or any small business... but for some reason banks still give them to you like this was 1970.

Also what warranty do I have for someone to collect a check, get the money and then never send the item back? I have Zero...

Latest posts