SSO: Deep Thoughts

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To the other places you decided to take this, it's hilarious that you frame it like I'm judgmental of those people as not deserving access to truth when actually you invoked it in such a way as to claim you don't have to lie to people because you don't do those things. There's where the piousness comes in. Lying is only for people who do those awful things that I don't do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I'm not going to look this up, because that would be cheating. Is this a Stoic? I don't think Aristotle said that...
Nobody said exactly that, but Logos was most popularly originally used by Hercalitus to approximately mean the way of the world. There are a few of his elaborations which equate it to the infinite wisdom of the gods, but then later Aristotle seems to equate it most as the truth of a man's complete place in the complete world. Colloquially it generally refers to what is true regardless of what is known or understood, or a wisdom of divine proportion without necessarily a divine personality. Logos is the truing block and meter of all reality to measure our formulated logic, basically. The stoics are probably the most popular to use the term in this way, though at least Senica did gladly embellish the hand of God for emphasis in the same breath IIRC.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
mental pretzel
I asked to explain what "earn access to the truth" means, and your answer was to ask me about whether or not anyone has tried to blackmail me, what was I supposed to do with that?

The question was if it was incumbent on the woman to tell her granddaughter and not giving you the password because I don't trust you? We're telling her that be helpful? Would that not invoke other deeper questions about their relationship that go beyond necessary for what they were dealing with?
Maybe I missed this story before. The thing being earned here is trust, or at most some specific piece of privileged information. It doesn't make any sense to me to have to add a lie on top about the wifi not working in order to avoid giving the password away. Why couldn't this lady just say, strait up, "you get the wifi password when you have my trust"? The misdirection here doesn't serve anyone.

"Can I have the password?" "No." "Why not?" "Because I don't have the guest network setup yet, and I'm picky about non-trusted devices on my network". Nobody is harmed by this.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"Can I have the password?" "No." "Why not?" "Because I don't have the guest network setup yet, and I'm picky about non-trusted devices on my network". Nobody is harmed by this.
To be clear, the issue was not that she didn't want a non trusted device on the network, it's that the actual words in the login are (partially) the same thing she uses for other things like her email or her bank account. Potentially worth noting, I'm essentially a stranger and I've had access to all of those things before and she never voiced any concern with giving them to me. For whatever reason she has some purpose as to not wanting her granddaughter to have this, despite the fact that they appear to be very close.

So if you were going to respond 100% truthfully, you would have to alter that statement a little bit in a way that would probably provoke the question of why don't you trust me with it. So that's a follow-up discussion you would probably have to be prepared to have.

I'm actually inclined to tell the truth faithfully, albeit as softly as possible and put the onus on the granddaughter to accept my decision or inquire further if she wants to pull that Band-Aid off. Only because it feels like you're going to have that conversation eventually and there's still ways of approaching it that don't necessarily sound like an accusation, or spur more volatility.

Still, I think if you are in front of someone who you have reason to believe can't be trusted with either sensitive information or the truth as to why they're not getting it without making a larger issue, I can sympathize with someone trying to squash it in a benign way.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can absolutely think of situations in which it's beneficial to withhold as much information as possible from someone and not tell them anything more than what they absolutely need to know, not necessarily because you're being untrustworthy but because there isn't even an expectation of trust or reciprocity to begin with. That's not the way I would treat anyone I cared about or wanted to have an authentic and mutually beneficial relationship with, but not everyone out there is your friend and very few people have your best interests at heart.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
To be clear, the issue was not that she didn't want a non trusted device on the network, it's that the actual words in the login are (partially) the same thing she uses for other things like her email or her bank account.
But once again, why is this left out of the story, when it's very relevant. If we're trying to be as realistic/honest about what we'd do in this situation, I'd be recommending here that the problem is not trust at all, it's that this lady has made poor choices of wifi password and is weaseling out of it with added layers of misdirection. How would anyone know that this password is the same as other ones she's used unless she also tells people this? Why not just change the wifi password to something unique? And I come back to - again - why does the reason have to be secret? This could have been a learning opportunity "hey, neighborly grandma lady, if this is the problem, we've just learned the value of keeping unique passwords, lets set you up with a more appropriate solution for this". If nobody is willing to admit the actual truth of the situation (because it "has to be earned" or something), then nobody can offer a meaningful solution.

Like if someone asked for the password for my work PC - I'm not going to make up a lie about how it's actually a new work PC and I don't know the password - I'm just going to say no, because the reason they shouldn't have that password is valid. Same as this lady who already has a perfectly good reason not to give the password away.

"Can I have the password?" "No." "Why not?" "Because it's the same password I use elsewhere and I don't want you to have that, just wait a bit and I'll change it." Once again, nobody is harmed by this. 100% of this confusion would be avoided if nobody tried to weasel out of their own mistakes (using the same password twice) by making up a lie. Why does the story change every time I think I'm giving an example of someone just telling the truth?

I maintain that honesty would have been the best policy here, and we've never explained what any of this has to do with "earning the truth". What possible action could this granddaughter take to "earn" the "truth", whether that means earning the right to know why the password was denied, or earning the right to just have all of grandmas passwords for some reason?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
*Seneca, lol.

Now that I have time, somebody tell what is going on so I can properly piss off both sides. Somebody lied, right? Perish the thought.

Tell us your passwords or shens.

Last edited:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But once again, why is this left out of the story, when it's very relevant. If we're trying to be as realistic/honest about what we'd do in this situation, I'd be recommending here that the problem is not trust at all, it's that this lady has made poor choices of wifi password and is weaseling out of it with added layers of misdirection. How would anyone know that this password is the same as other ones she's used unless she also tells people this? Why not just change the wifi password to something unique? And I come back to - again - why does the reason have to be secret? This could have been a learning opportunity "hey, neighborly grandma lady, if this is the problem, we've just learned the value of keeping unique passwords, lets set you up with a more appropriate solution for this". If nobody is willing to admit the actual truth of the situation (because it "has to be earned" or something), then nobody can offer a meaningful solution.

Like if someone asked for the password for my work PC - I'm not going to make up a lie about how it's actually a new work PC and I don't know the password - I'm just going to say no, because the reason they shouldn't have that password is valid. Same as this lady who already has a perfectly good reason not to give the password away.

"Can I have the password?" "No." "Why not?" "Because it's the same password I use elsewhere and I don't want you to have that, just wait a bit and I'll change it." Once again, nobody is harmed by this. 100% of this confusion would be avoided if nobody tried to weasel out of their own mistakes (using the same password twice) by making up a lie. Why does the story change every time I think I'm giving an example of someone just telling the truth?

I maintain that honesty would have been the best policy here, and we've never explained what any of this has to do with "earning the truth". What possible action could this granddaughter take to "earn" the "truth", whether that means earning the right to know why the password was denied, or earning the right to just have all of grandmas passwords for some reason?
I think the Crux of this debate is that you appear to be an absolutionist when it comes to sharing the truth and I think sometimes it's fine to lie. It's probably not popular say it like that, but in practice seems like most people do it anyway, so I'd rather just acknowledge it happens and probably serves some purpose.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
you appear to be an absolutionist when it comes to sharing the truth and I think sometimes it's fine to lie.
I mean, I think there are sometimes valid reasons to lie. I'm being serious when I say I'm just trying to figure out what "earning the truth" means.

The only thing I'd say I'm "absolutist" about is the idea that there's no "real truth" you can only find through struggle, which I floated as a possible meaning for the "earning" thing, and nobody wanted to engage with that part. I'm pretty absolute about the idea that struggle does not confer value to things. Life ain't Dragonball.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm being serious when I say I'm just trying to figure out what "earning the truth" means.
I mean, its deliberately vague to be left to *some* interpretation but its a play on the first part of the statement.

How do you define trust? Is trust a right or a privilege? Is it absolute or is it dealt in portions?

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean, I think there are sometimes valid reasons to lie. I'm being serious when I say I'm just trying to figure out what "earning the truth" means.

The only thing I'd say I'm "absolutist" about is the idea that there's no "real truth" you can only find through struggle, which I floated as a possible meaning for the "earning" thing, and nobody wanted to engage with that part. I'm pretty absolute about the idea that struggle does not confer value to things. Life ain't Dragonball.
Since we're being all philosophical and stuff, I'm going to disagree with you there. Life in general is driven by struggle and we're driven by a need to overcome, otherwise there wouldn't be any need for progression or the seeking of truth or knowledge at all. Struggle confers all value because without it value is a meaningless concept.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
How do you define trust? Is trust a right or a privilege? Is it absolute or is it dealt in portions?
I mean, I define trust as a recognition that you can predict something. As in, "I recognize it's safe to tell someone something, because I predict they will do no harm with it". Or "I trust myself to drive at x speed, because I predict that I can react fast enough at that speed". I don't think it's anything to do with right or privilege necessarily. Deciding whether or not trust or distrust is the default, or how to dole it out, is entirely context sensitive. I don't automatically distrust people for no reason, but I don't give every stranger my passwords. If I have no reason to predict a problem from people, then I have no reason to distrust them.

Life in general is driven by struggle and we're driven by a need to overcome
I disagree with this as strongly as anyone can disagree with anything, because:

otherwise there wouldn't be any need for progression or the seeking of truth or knowledge at all
I mean.... there isn't. In an absolute sense, there is no need that we don't invent for ourselves. If you keep that as a personal philosophy, you do you, but it's not an objective worldview.

Moreso, I think it's actively harmful to attribute struggle to value - romanticizing struggle is a big factor in holding back progress in terms of quality of life because "you have to earn it". Not to invoke the P word, but so much arguing on some recently shut down threads amounted to "I feel that I struggled and you did not, therefor I am valuable and deserve things, and you do not".

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Struggle has intrinsic value. Doing hard things makes you more resilient and more able to do other hard things. That doesn't mean everyone should have to struggle. But there are many things, such as skill at an instrument for example, that one simply cannot attain without struggle.

To quote an anonymous reddit commenter, "the devil hates it when you lift wieghts, bro"

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean.... there isn't. In an absolute sense, there is no need that we don't invent for ourselves. If you keep that as a personal philosophy, you do you, but it's not an objective worldview.

Moreso, I think it's actively harmful to attribute struggle to value - romanticizing struggle is a big factor in holding back progress in terms of quality of life because "you have to earn it".
I think it is objective in a teleological sense. We are biological beings with an inbuilt purpose for survival and propagation, just like any other life. If we didn't have innate needs and drives shaped by the nature of transience and mortality then we wouldn't be able to survive, let alone achieve. The only reason we've gotten to the point that we have is through the struggle and aspiration of countless generations before us going back to our pre-human ancestors. It's not possible for us to have just existed in a historical vacuum without want or need - but if somehow we did, there would be nowhere left to go and nothing to achieve, and we wouldn't be motivated to do anything other than exist wherever we happened to be. Nothing would have value to us because there would be no concept of risk, loss, danger or impermanence.

Everything we do ascribe value to, even in an abstract way, we do so relative to the amount of difficulty or struggle necessary to obtain, create, or maintain that thing. Every noble principle we have only has meaning because by its nature it can be threatened by the base.

You can say we don't have any needs other than what we invent but have you tried to stop eating or drinking water? Ever thought about what would happen if at least some of us didn't reproduce? We're not just ideal, rational beings of thought and concept in some Platonic realm, we're animals first and foremost. Like it or not, that's the objective truth.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I had a similar debate about the existence of objective "needs" with a friend of mine. He was convinced similarly that we don't have any needs that we don't invent. To me this is just playing semantics. If we take the word "need" to represent only invented prerequisites for fulfillment, joy, or whatever else, then sure, fine, but conceptually there exist things that we require in order to continue living. It is generally understood that those concepts are represented by the word "needs," and even if we agree to change the definition to the above, the concept of things that we require in order to continue living still exists, and needs a name. To me it makes more sense, if we're to split semantic hairs at all, to be more careful about describing invented prerequisites for emotional states as something other than needs. On the other hand, generally people understand what is meant when we describe, for example, self-actualization as a "need." Ultimately I see little value to that semantic distinction, because I'm just being overly wordy about things that I'm fairly sure we all understood before this discussion ever took place.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a similar debate about the existence of objective "needs" with a friend of mine. He was convinced similarly that we don't have any needs that we don't invent. To me this is just playing semantics. If we take the word "need" to represent only invented prerequisites for fulfillment, joy, or whatever else, then sure, fine, but conceptually there exist things that we require in order to continue living. It is generally understood that those concepts are represented by the word "needs," and even if we agree to change the definition to the above, the concept of things that we require in order to continue living still exists, and needs a name. To me it makes more sense, if we're to split semantic hairs at all, to be more careful about describing invented prerequisites for emotional states as something other than needs. On the other hand, generally people understand what is meant when we describe, for example, self-actualization as a "need." Ultimately I see little value to that semantic distinction, because I'm just being overly wordy about things that I'm fairly sure we all understood before this discussion ever took place.
You could even make an argument that on a high enough level, emotional and psychological "needs" are still functions of a process of development and evolution, and as such fulfill some kind of purpose to the aim of the perpetuation of the individual, groups of individuals, or the species as a whole, and therefore they are still related to some kind of objective material need.