The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
If anything, that just proves my point. Very scummy, in my opinion.
I get it, but at the same time, how many people go out of their way to make tribute guitars on their own anyway?
It's not like they're claiming Eddie used these or anything like that.

I don't see it as anything different than requesting a custom paint job to pay homage to a guitarist you like :2c:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I purposefully modelled one of my guitars after the black Joe Perry Les Paul, despite this guitar not being a Gibson or Epiphone

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
If we're tracking down people ripping off EVH there's a long list the world over. It has all but become a meme at this point, the pattern is almost as famous as the man. I think they look tasteful enough compared to the real deal.

Moongrum

Reaction score
What's funny is I don't even think it was about moving guitars, but their plugin instead😂

That said, I don't really care about the ethics or whatever of it as I have no sentimental/emotional attachment to Van Halen.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but that plugin doesn't really sound that good.
tbh, I didn't even watch the video lol. So I did watch it, and retract my original statement, because at the end he says how people can order that finish and Jeff wanted to offer 22 fret floyd rose guitars as a tribute.

That said, as someone uninitiated with 80s rock/metal, the plugin sounded like 80s rock/metal guitar to me :shrug:

FloridaST

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
tbh, I didn't even watch the video lol. So I did watch it, and retract my original statement, because at the end he says how people can order that finish and Jeff wanted to offer 22 fret floyd rose guitars as a tribute.

That said, as someone uninitiated with 80s rock/metal, the plugin sounded like 80s rock/metal guitar to me :shrug:
Maybe it's the guitar or the pickups, I dunno, just sounds meh to me.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If anything, that just proves my point. Very scummy, in my opinion.

Yeah, definitely getting "Eddie's dead, we can do this now!" vibes. Since he was really the one that was so litigious about folks appropriating, or who he thought was anyhow, his designs.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely getting "Eddie's dead, we can do this now!" vibes. Since he was really the one that was so litigious about folks appropriating, or who he thought was anyhow, his designs.

Not nearly as bad IMO as the time he posted the vid reaction about Alan passing and spun it into ~getting those 7-string Holdsworths out there because I know Alan was really excited about it and I know you all are excited about it, so we're going to try to make that happen for you guys...

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I get it, but at the same time, how many people go out of their way to make tribute guitars on their own anyway?
It's not like they're claiming Eddie used these or anything like that.

I don't see it as anything different than requesting a custom paint job to pay homage to a guitarist you like :2c:
I somewhat get that, but that's not what happened here. Someone didn't request these, Kiesel did it themselves without saying a word. That, to me, speaks volumes.

They knew exactly what they are doing by putting these out there, knowing they can profit off of EVH's death and fans.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not nearly as bad IMO as the time he posted the vid reaction about Alan passing and spun it into ~getting those 7-string Holdsworths out there because I know Alan was really excited about it and I know you all are excited about it, so we're going to try to make that happen for you guys...

Dead Allan Holdsworth and dead Eddie Van Halen really want you to buy Kiesels they never played.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
There's a guy a town over with a mailbox painted in EVH stripe design. Should I contact the lawyers?

Fr tho that headstock is blech

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I personally think that's a great headstock, one of the two or three good Kiesel ones, the others being the 7 string Holdsworth headstock and the pointed in line Jackson/ESP style one. The 6 string Holdsworth headstock looks awful, the Dean looking one looks awful, the PRS/Schecter Style one is okay-ish but still not my favorite.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Sorry to bring hot fire here:
Not looking to discuss the argument at hand, just curious what is the pin that gets mentioned in regard to neck alignment? Is it like a dowel in the neck pocket?
I've only ever taken apart a Fender, and that's just 4 screws, I'm wondering if Kiesel uses other things in their neck pocket other than the bolts that attach the body and neck together.