Starting to actually get into running

• Thread starter Origin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bevo

Reaction score
That sounds about right. I read a quote a while ago that sums it up, 'if you're feeling good during an ultra, don't worry, you'll get over it.'

Yup!!

Legs are sore from yesterdays run, today is going to be sooo hard so I thought. Once I stumbled around for 10 min my sore legs cleared up and had another great 25K trail run today!

The only part that hurts now is my hand, knee and elbow from falling....twice! and my shoulder from smacking into a tree LOL!!
I never fall and fell twice yesterday, once eating and the other time enjoying the view...DOH!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Motivation for running?

Scoring Digits, Coffee tomorrow and hopefully a run on wednesday with her.

I ran past her and she was pretty cute, was walking a dog and it tried to attack me but I just kept running and thought "Man, You should of stopped" So I ran around the block and caught her a bit further up, asked her whether she runs or just dresses up for running and walks (She had the whole running gear on) as a light joke, was a hit ;) Walked with her back to her house, got her number and asked if she wanted coffee tomorrow.

Thanks guys for getting me to go running :lol: :yesway:

Edit: Guess I'll give a small update on running ha, been 2-3 weeks since I've started back up again, my first run I ran 20-25 minutes and walked 5, I was like Wow this is a lot better then expecting, the next run was like 2 minute runs with 2 minutes walked, it all just disappeared. I was pretty bummed that I lost it all and the first run was just like a returning runners high or something :lol:

But now I'm back up to the 20-25 minute running and 5 minute walking/slow jogging, I use to go for ~hour runs every second day but I'm going to try work up to 30 minutes every day instead. Just doing 30-40 every second day at the moment. Breathing better, I also sing while I run so that's improved a bit as well actually (Really puts a strain on breathing haha, but I stop when I really need to focus on breathing).

Blind Theory

Reaction score
I started going back to the gym a week ago. I am mainly focusing on muscle gain so I am not going to be trying to run 3 miles a day quite yet but I have began running 1 mile before I hit the weights. I was expecting it to be a LOT worse for me. I am able to do the mile with relative ease and I am confident I could get to 2 miles (not as easily though:lol:). So far my times are coming in at a low 11 minute mile so I am off of where I was speed wise by about 4 minutes:lol: I guess I just keep hacking away until I get where I was at...fun stuff.:lol:

Cabinet

:O
Reaction score
I always like to run a bit before my actual workout. But I go for a consistent pace and extend the time, tomorrow I'll bump up the speed a bit and go for the same time limit. Two days ago I managed to run about 3.5k in 25 minutes, looking to up the speed a bit and see how far I'll make it in that same 25 minute time frame.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
Since this seems to be the infamous running thread, I have need of advice. I've deemed this month "May Madness" and the plan is to run every day this month without fail (with the exception of last Monday because of a final). My goal is to get rid of this little bit of fat that I've grown around my hips and lower stomach. My question is, is running the exercise I should be focusing on for these areas? And if so, which type of running? Should I be doing intermittent sprints or focusing on long distance jogs?

I've already started with the intermittent sprints every day so far. Most of the trail I run at is uphill, but there are 3 200-300 foot level bits that I run as fast as I can and then continue walking. I do this for about five laps, or 6 miles.

Bevo

Reaction score
Don't do to much you will get hurt, the overdoo injurys are what hurt most new runners.

The running will help as your burning 5-800 calories but you also have to watch what you eat and do some strength training. Get in extra lean protien and cut out all the sugar stuff.
Push ups, squats, core work everyday at a fast paced 20 min will really fire you up.

Pick 5 full body exercises and do one min, then move right to the next no break, do those 5 4 times and your done in more ways than one!
Change what you do everyday so you don't overuse those muscles too.

Good luck!

Bevo

Reaction score
25K trail race this saturday!
This one is close to home and lots of friends will be racing the 25 and 50M distances.

Can't wait!!!

troyguitar

Reaction score
I still can't get over the idea of being able to run that far at once. How many years did it take you to build up to that level?

Bevo

Reaction score
Troy, not long I have only been trail running for a few years but have always been active.

Most running plans call for an extra 10% a week so in 10 weeks your running pretty far if you started by running 20 min.
Its super important to run consistantly, every run builds on the last one.

I normly run farther but am looking to stick to this distance this year, next year i will go longer. Its all about staying healthy and not overdoing it.

You got it Tiger, I will post my results!
Weather is going to be warm and dry so looking at some fun times!

Hope your leg is feeling better!
Mine are killing me, I have not run as much as normal so they are looking for some action!!

Tiger

Reaction score
Dude I think I may be injured. Ive been trying to get an MRI for weeks and its such a pain in the military, I had to see a doc who forced an xray, so I had to go back to doc after xray, who has now refered me to orthopedics, so I can go see them and schedule one (if they let me) just so I can wait WEEKS to have one done. Free? Yea, but fuck its a pain to get anything done.

Its this bizarre tightness on the outside of my left knee that is definitely connected with my upper calf. It feels utterly bizarre when it occurs and seems to be triggered by downhill movement or anything faster than about 8 minute mile. Its a show stopping sensation, it feels like my meniscus just got injected with lead and its not one you just run through. I've also been experiencing some bizarre bruising in the upper left part of the calf after runs or if I try to foam roll the area. Yet I still have full strength in all heavy lifts and feel the pain in no way unless I run or go down stairs fast.

So Im not sure if I have a bone bruise, a meniscus issue, a critical imbalance... I even exhibit symptoms of compartment syndrome. One day those wacky doctors will tell me.

It just would break from tradition if I wasnt battling a mystery issue in the months leading up to an ultra race.

Bevo

Reaction score
That sucks!
I saw some of the 50 milers today having one hell of a time, there was some misery and injured people out there!!

Hope it can get resolved well before your race!

Bevo

Reaction score
My race review short and sweet!

Started at a comfy speed that I knew I could hold for hours, this speed also put me behind 3 seriously cute girls with one in a skirt!
After 10K I think they felt me staring so I had to run by LOL!!

15K turn around I was moving good on track for a good time, they also changed it to a 30K not 25.

At 20 the wheels came off and my stomach got pissed off at me, the last 10 was really hard I mean really really hard but I got it done in 3:30.. not great considering I was on track for 3:15.

Blind Theory

Reaction score
I just needed to dust off the cobwebs a little bit. My time isn't back to where it used to be (high 6 to low 7 minute) but it is better than when I started the gym again. I have gone from low 11 minute mile to a 9 and a half ish minute mile so I am headed in the right direction.

Bevo

Reaction score
Thats fast but how long can you hold it for?

You keep that up for a good long distance then you are a machine!!

Blind Theory

Reaction score
Right now I probably couldn't hold that pace very much longer but I am still working back to where I was. When I was super into running I could hold a 9 minute pace all day if I wanted to. If I went for speed I would do a 6:50-7:10 mile so I have a lot of work to do still.

Bevo

Reaction score
The winner of my race yesterday had a average of 7 min mile over 30K including massive hill and stopping for water, he passed me on the way back when I was at 10K. He must of been doing a steady 6 to maintain that 7!

I have to learn to run faster!!!

Bevo

Reaction score
It was super hot for our run today and we had a decent sized group.
A couple girls were in miniskirts and panties and damn it was hard to run behind them especially in the hills LOL!!

I would love to get some pictures but that may be crossing a line!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
If you guys had some sort of group page on FB or something you could claim it was for that, hell you could even say it's just to have records of running with certain people

Nothing says "I want to remember this" like hot chicks running in miniskirts