Starting to actually get into running

• Thread starter Origin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Checked out the gym at my new college and they have a near identical elliptical to the one I used to work out on.

I am excite.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever had an issue where the back of your throat feels itchy/scratchy and it's almost impossible to exhale without coughing? I have looked it up online to come across what I figured; 1. slight case of asthma. I had asthma when I was a kid or 2. Excessive breathing through your mouth from going harder than usual.

I always have water on me and no matter how much I drink it takes a while to get rid of that itchy/scratchy throat. Has anyone experienced this or know a remedy?

troyguitar

Reaction score
I have always got it when I run too hard, as a kid it was suspected to be an extremely mild case of asthma. I still suspect that is what it is, but it has little impact on me other than making it take more effort for me to reach a given fitness level than people without it.

It has definitely gotten harder and harder for me to get to that point as I've built up my system over the course of the year. In fact I have not felt it in a month or so.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger

Reaction score
This is what I did for an hour today...up and down this hill at Patapsco, .15 miles up that climbs 121 feet then back down again. It sucked because rains have made it mostly hard rock that turned it into some technical work and when I hit the off rock, despite the plating in my vibrams, I still felt it. Im thinking I may have to switch in to a pair of montrail's for my upcoming race, because DNF'ing from my foot getting shredded would be lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioJmx2YTtrY&feature=plcp

Bevo

Reaction score
How high are you in elevation?
It can dehydrate you faster and you will need to keep hydrated before your run.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I have always got it when I run too hard, as a kid it was suspected to be an extremely mild case of asthma. I still suspect that is what it is, but it has little impact on me other than making it take more effort for me to reach a given fitness level than people without it.

It has definitely gotten harder and harder for me to get to that point as I've built up my system over the course of the year. In fact I have not felt it in a month or so.

Sounds like the same thing. I really never had this issue until this past month. A big factor is probably that I haven't been running and biking as much as I normally would, yet have been trying to go harder to make up for slacking.

My breathing is fine but when that kicks in, it's like I can't not cough with every exhale. The first time it happened last month I thought I swallowed a bug or managed to inhale some dirt as the wind kicked up. Since I've been running and mountain biking more regularly again, I've noticed it at about the same point in one of my trails. Odd.

Bevo said:
How high are you in elevation?
It can dehydrate you faster and you will need to keep hydrated before your run.

For the spot I've been going every week, there's a mile long incline that peaks at about 5500 ft. I seem to get the scratchy/itchy throat a little more than 1/2 way up the incline.

For that spot, the first mile is the only major climb, the rest is a bunch of fairly moderate trails along the side of the hills and mountain-y area. I'd typically bike, at least, 25-30 miles worth and never had that issue until recently.

I quickly looked it up again while at work today and saw something about Lance Armstrong encountering this, at times. His trick was gargling with Listerine. Seems like a strange remedy.

Bevo

Reaction score
This is what I did for an hour today...up and down this hill at Patapsco, .15 miles up that climbs 121 feet then back down again. It sucked because rains have made it mostly hard rock that turned it into some technical work and when I hit the off rock, despite the plating in my vibrams, I still felt it. Im thinking I may have to switch in to a pair of montrail's for my upcoming race, because DNF'ing from my foot getting shredded would be lame.

Looks steeper than it appears in the vid, those shoes and rocks must be killer...ouch!

Check out the New Balance MT110 the new model, it has a thin beefy sole and is pretty hard.
The new Minimus has a few models that are "0" drop with just a bit more padding than the 5 fingers.
There is also a new Rouge Racer flat that may work.

I have both of the NB shoes and just tossed out the Montrails after 800K.

Bevo

Reaction score
If any of you guys have not seen we are doing a XC challenge in this forum so post up your daily runs.

The goal is 2500M and all who post will get lots of "Thanks" for your profile..
I made that up but why not.

troyguitar

Reaction score
So there's a local mile race here tomorrow evening and I'm going to run it for fun. I've no chance of winning (last winner was 4:27 :lol:) but am curious to see what kind of time I can put down in a competitive environment all the same.

Do you think that running 3-5 miles at a slow pace tonight will have any impact on my mile time tomorrow? I don't care all that much but it has been 10 years since I ran a timed mile so it would be nice to establish a new baseline.

Alex6534

Reaction score
I would like to get into running, the only problem is I get bored shitless :lol: Reckon I might give it a go though, even if it's sprinting and not long distance.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Decided to be lazy and not run tonight, we'll see how the mile goes.

I'd love to see 5:30 but 6:00 is much more likely. It is in the evening, in a straight line, and a total elevation drop of like 40-50 feet though so I should be able to post as fast a time as my body will allow unless other people get in the way.

I've never actually run a race like this before, do you pass on the left like normal or is it a free for all?

Bevo

Reaction score
Elbows up no talking....cause you can't or you better not unless your slacking!

Depending on the method you may go in waves or singles or as a group, most likely you will have a chip timer on your shoe.
Start in the group matching the speed your wanting to hit..

Most important have fun and give it 120%!

troyguitar

Reaction score
Managed to end up getting a whopping 3-4 hours of sleep last night and feel like crap, good thing I wasn't planning on winning the race anyway :lol:

Is it weird that I'm actually more nervous about this than most car and kart races where I actually might win something? :nuts:

troyguitar

Reaction score
Lololol they started the 5 minute race 3 minutes early while I was two blocks away with no warning. Fucking small town america for you...

vanhendrix

Reaction score
Guess I'm late to the party here so I'm not going to go through this whole massive thread but here's what I'm into these days:

As of June I got sick and tired of basically living in a knee brace if I was going to manage my daily 5K so I decided to look into alternatives. I've been doing barefoot running ever since, and although their were some growing pains I'm back up and past my old daily mileage barefoot, on mostly pavement. I tried my knee brace on once last month after a marathon driving sesh and it won't even fit over my calf anymore.

Any of you guys tried it? I was about as far-gone as a heel-striker can be and I managed to totally switch it up.