Starting to actually get into running

• Thread starter Origin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bevo

Reaction score
Completed my 25K trail race yesterday and was very happy I felt stong after being sick all week with no runs since last Saturday.

I started easy and took my time yet I was running at a very fast pace that felt effortless. When the hills came I maintained the same effort and ran as much as I could. This was at a ski resort so we had a total of 1,500 feet to climb per lap.
On my second lap I felt amazing and picked up the pace a bit even though I was tired but no problem.

I spent some time trying to sing some Judas Priest songs until I caught up to this cute blonde who smelled really good..not perfume just body kinda like Maple Syrup, we ran together to the end.

Overall I came in 45 out of 255 and 14th in my age group!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger

Reaction score
That much is going to be hard to do although I will try.
I started to count everything and got up to 110 today, I think with a few changes it will be possible with no meat.

The good news is I will find some new food to try, I may also get a jug of Vega vegan protein powder.

Let's see what happens!

I just finished this yesterday:

http://www.americanodysseyrelay.com/course.html

My chief's running team lost a member and I was a last minute fill in, so I did about 17 miles of the race. I didnt like having to sit in a van with mostly strangers for two days
and not sleeping, since the legs were divided up I think I ran around 11 Friday, again at 10 at night, then again at around 4 am. But its for a great cause so that makes up for it. :)

Bevo

Reaction score
Tiger, good thing I had the day off, I watched the presentation and it was really cool, he has some interesting ideas. I picked up some new things to try and some great knowledge into the inner workings of the sport and Fruitarian diet..

I checked out your race and it looks like it was a great event, to bad you got stuck with people you don't know..

Tiger

Reaction score
No worries, I am a fan of his, although I am an unabashed meat eater. But I think its interesting to see things that Id never think would work actually function in a top tier athlete, its good to learn.

I think that race taught me that I just dont like relay races, I think they are good opportunities to set PR's but I dont like it as much as ultra-distance events.

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
I think that race taught me that I just dont like relay races, I think they are good opportunities to set PR's but I dont like it as much as ultra-distance events.
Talking about relays... I ran at Penn Relays last week. Quite the experience. What's not to like about them? They're fast, short, and fun!

Tiger

Reaction score
Talking about relays... I ran at Penn Relays last week. Quite the experience. What's not to like about them? They're fast, short, and fun!

Cause I like my races long, slow, and miserable. :)

Plus I'm a relatively slow runner, I dont know if Ill ever do a sub 20 minute 5k at this point. :( Been trying for years.

Bevo

Reaction score
Did a seminar with Scott Jurek an Ultra Runner last year and he said anyone in the room could beat him in a Marathon, he only speeds up after 50 miles LOL!

I like to run fast but can't be bothered to race a 5k, too lazy..

troyguitar

Reaction score
Well I could do a 20 minute 5k back in the day and will get back to it by sometime this summer, but I still don't understand how it's even physically possible to run 20k+ at once. As far as I'm concerned people who do that are a different species from me. Even if I somehow forced myself to do it, I wouldn't be able to walk right for weeks :lol:

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
Cause I like my races long, slow, and miserable. :)

Plus I'm a relatively slow runner, I dont know if Ill ever do a sub 20 minute 5k at this point. :( Been trying for years.
Did a seminar with Scott Jurek an Ultra Runner last year and he said anyone in the room could beat him in a Marathon, he only speeds up after 50 miles LOL!

I like to run fast but can't be bothered to race a 5k, too lazy..
It seems we're at opposite ends of the spectrum....

Bevo

Reaction score
Hmm I ran 10k in 50 min tonight at an easy pace including waiting for a couple lights.
I should give it a try sometime!

Bevo

Reaction score
My bud has one and its really nice, I have the Garmin 305.
It is much more accurate than the Garmin and looks much nicer, he did not get into all the features yet but I know its packed full of goodness!

If I had to get a new one it would be tough, I love the Ambit but the Garmin Connect I use all the time and lots of new runs are posted there to try.
So far its been amazing even thought its older.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
I've been running with my uncle lately. About 5ish miles at a time. Takes us about 50 minutes to an hour usually. Not too bad. A decent pace and good exercise. Congrats Tiger. I'm from VA and have never heard of that. Sounds rough! lol. Good luck to you!

Bevo

Reaction score
23,000 feet ouch that is going to be a good one!
Thats a pretty serious course that will rival the courses on the Western side of the US.

Whats your training like leading up to it, are you doing big weeks with a few week taper?

The only issue with the 100's I have is getting the eating right, at 50 miles my stomach is just shot. If I can figure that out then I would be more prepared to run the 100.

Good on you!
If you ever get up to Canada I have a few runs I can take you on!!

Tiger

Reaction score
Im having to go with the less is more schedule. I plan on doing several 30-35 mile aggressive runs, a 50 miler, then tapering September and going in to it fully rested. I simply dont have the time to log 100 mile weeks, so I have to go with the faster paced 40-50 mile stuff. My big emphasis is hill training, I bought a treadmill so I could easily spend a lot of time going up or downhill.

I feel that a lot of it has to be mental...if its not then Im screwed!

Bevo

Reaction score
I did a 50 miler and at 15 miles I was done, my legs were killing me and I had ever ache and pain I could think up.
For me I use the If I will damage my body I will stop, in this case it was just pain and I had to ignore it. At 40 my stomach was shot and it was super hard to eat but I kept eating and drinking, if I was going to puke then I would.

I got through it and it was one of the best races I ever had, it was all mental strength to not give up.
Crossing the line it felt like I won.

That video you posted said this and I really believe it..

First you run with your body.
Second you run with your mind.
Third you run with your heart.
Last you run with your spirit.

Tiger

Reaction score
That sounds about right. I read a quote a while ago that sums it up, 'if you're feeling good during an ultra, don't worry, you'll get over it.'