Steinberger Gearless Tuners?

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I've always liked those LSR-style barrel knobs when Yamaha has used them... are they available for ordering somewhere?

I think you can order them directly from Schaller...

I bought the hannes bridge directly from there aswell....

Schaller Electronic | All Schaller products

Off Topic but.... pics from schallers website....

:holy::holy::holy:

7f19c27583.jpg

2b59cb1bc6.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, i would LOVE that bridge in a seven-string version.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Ci, it looks to be very comfortable. Almost like "fixed" Floyd Rose would be, minus the fine tuners. Om nom nom.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Ok so I just ordered today a set of black 40:1 gear ratio steinberger tuners because i have to test them out otherwise i may never sleep properly again :lol:

And I will probably receive them this up comming friday :)

I will post pics when installed :yesway:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using these Steinberger tuners for some time and I have to say they're my favourite tuners of all. They're the simplest to use and have the best feel and smoothest action of any tuner I've tried.

The soldering issue mentioned doesn't apply to them at all - it's a problem with the Steirberger trans-trem and s-trem designs (and khalers) with the high-E strings snapping at the bridge.

And the 40:1 ratio is not a gear ratio. It's the threads per inch count, so it is not like you have to turn the knob 40 times to get the string to move anywhere, they feel great just like a regular tuner with a particularly smooth and effortless action.

My only concern with them for erg designs is accepting bigger strings. I think it may be possible to drill them out a little to accommodate .070 or .080 strings but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The other thing that sucks is they're only sold in sets of six.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I've been using these Steinberger tuners for some time and I have to say they're my favourite tuners of all. They're the simplest to use and have the best feel and smoothest action of any tuner I've tried.

The soldering issue mentioned doesn't apply to them at all - it's a problem with the Steirberger trans-trem and s-trem designs (and khalers) with the high-E strings snapping at the bridge.

And the 40:1 ratio is NOT a gear ratio. It's the threads per inch count, so it is not like you have to turn the knob 40 times to get the string to move anywhere, they feel great just like a regular tuner with a particularly smooth and effortless action.

My only concern with them for erg designs is accepting bigger strings. I think it may be possible to drill them out a little to accommodate .070 or .080 strings but I haven't tried it yet.

thanks for the information, now i'm getting very exited to test them out and yes, like Darren mentions, it would be nice to be able to buy them individually for 7 or 8 string Guitars....

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love how clean these tuners look. They look awesome in black!

I tried them once on an Epiphone Firebird Studio... really smooth and high-quality feel to them.

Patrick, how does their weight compare to Sperzels or Hipshots?

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I love how clean these tuners look. They look awesome in black!

I tried them once on an Epiphone Firebird Studio... really smooth and high-quality feel to them.

Patrick, how does their weight compare to Sperzels or Hipshots?

I would say about the same as the hipshots.....

And also they are very easy to install....

The pin must face the nut on the headstock, simply press, drill and your done....

But its not 40:1 gear ratio as they advertise....

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
And the 40:1 ratio is not a gear ratio. It's the threads per inch count, so it is not like you have to turn the knob 40 times to get the string to move anywhere, they feel great just like a regular tuner with a particularly smooth and effortless action.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Indeed :agreed:

I will send a mail to stewmac about this, maybe they can clarify the description a little better......

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Indeed :agreed:

I will send a mail to stewmac about this, maybe they can clarify the description a little better......
:agreed: They're spreading the misconception that it's a 40:1 gear ratio and doing themselves a disservice because of all the folks who logically think "oh no with a 40:1 gear ratio I'm gonna have to turn the knob a billion times to tune the string up."

Calling the ratio what it is - threads per inch count - would clarify the issue and emphasize that there's really not much point comparing the gear ratios of geared tuners to gearless designs.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
:agreed: They're spreading the misconception that it's a 40:1 gear ratio and doing themselves a disservice because of all the folks who logically think "oh no with a 40:1 gear ratio I'm gonna have to turn the knob a billion times to tune the string up."

Calling the ratio what it is - threads per inch count - would clarify the issue and emphasize that there's really not much point comparing the gear ratios of geared tuners to gearless designs.

:agreed: mail has been sent, but I doubt they will change anything.... :shrug:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
When i read "40:1" i think, "Shit, those must be REALLY accurate!"

With locking tuners, i prefer a higher ratio. With my Peterson tuner, even TOUCHING the Schallers on my JP7 can make a slight difference in tuning. I'd prefer something that required a bit of a turn to get any movement in tuning.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
When i read "40:1" i think, "Shit, those must be REALLY accurate!"

With locking tuners, i prefer a higher ratio. With my Peterson tuner, even TOUCHING the Schallers on my JP7 can make a slight difference in tuning. I'd prefer something that required a bit of a turn to get any movement in tuning.

Maybe you need to tighten the screws on the knobs on your schallers?

Latest posts