Steinberger Gearless Tuners?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
They're plenty tight. Even though the Schallers are fairly precise at 16:1, the Peterson is so accurate, i could really use something with "fine tuner" control.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
They're plenty tight. Even though the Schallers are fairly precise at 16:1, the Peterson is so accurate, i could really use something with "fine tuner" control.

I'm curious why such a small fluctuation through such an accurate tuner matters to you? When you fret frets, most of the notes aren't perfectly in tune either, and never will be, so it seems rather tedious to worry about a tuning fluctation the human ear can't even pick up. Even holding your guitar at a different angle to the ground changes the tuning, so really, what gives?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Maybe my ear is exceptionally sensitive to changes in pitch. :shrug:

I do find microtonal differences in pitch make a remarkable difference to how good a guitar sounds. I couldn't believe how much better my guitars sounded when i upgraded from a BOSS TU-2 to a Peterson. Everything just rang out so much better. The Peterson has definitely made me a lot more picky about my tuning.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
For me, it's not so much the individual notes, but the chords i can hear being not quite "on". The Peterson tuner really opened my eyes to how mediocre most tuners are, and how much of a difference actually being in tune makes.

If all of your strings are out by a cent (the TU-2 is only accurate to ±1 cent) then across all of your strings, you could be as much as 6 or 7 cents out from top to bottom. It may not sound like much, but in a chord, it's definitely the difference between having overtones ringing together in a really "alive" way, or the chord sounding dead.

SargeantVomit

CIRRHOSIS THRASH
Reaction score
Yeah, you should check your intonation every single time you tune, it's not a big deal to adjust it every so often. Actually, maybe that's because I have a hardtail. I've never intonated a floating bridge.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Got a reply....

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for your great feedback. We appreciate your comments. They will be forwarded to management and our tech department for consideration.

Have a great day,

Best regards,

XX
Stewart MacDonald

:ugh::ugh:

I bet nothing will be changed :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
It's just gonna get caught up in between departments and forgotten about no doubt :lol:

I wanna put this on a guitar but I don't use any 6's anymore...well except for my burnt Kramer which these would look out of place on

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Are you serious?? thats awesome and ridiculous in the same breath!:hbang:

I don't think Ken's being serious, although I believe EJ may have said that comment because he's waaaay to fucking anal about his tone. I heard it was painstaking designing his Fender signature because he's so crazy about sound and whatnot.

ghoti

Electric Eclectic
Reaction score
Someone on here could order 7 packs of these; and distribute them to whoever needs them...for a fee of course...

ghoti

Electric Eclectic
Reaction score
Are there also gearless tuners for bass? I did a search and came up with nothing.

I'm thinking that if there were, one could kill two birds with one stone here; order 4 sets of the 6-string and one of a 4-string bass. Total = 4 sets of 7-string tuners, one of which can take the heavier gauge of the lower strings.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I thought you may appreciate a little pic story about how those tuners work....

So I took some pics when I was changing the strings....

I like to cut my strings to lenght, because i dont like when a guitar needs a hair cut :hbang:

So here I've unscrewed the tuners on the bottom and top...
l_48832407b7d54e409c0eefd3d849e488.jpg

Now the string has to be cut a little bit after the tuner, just enough to pull it in decently...
l_3f9ba4a7af164d498cf78c85b3e7f1b6.jpg

Now pull it inside the hole...
l_ebcd80a1ef3940489dfae61f816d4f09.jpg

Tighten the top, this will lock the string down in place...
l_52771e0cb31249298e768b0560b2f5f1.jpg

Now on the back, tune up the string to pitch...
The string will be aspired into the tuning machine....
l_13be2a95ea884a5cbc71a10d54a7241a.jpg

This is how it looks like, nice and clean...
l_f3bc3b095d934a67a48d5fd68173c881.jpg

l_bb60c5dfa07b4c5ca0e37ba00d10e344.jpg

Top view
When installing, the tuners can be moved in correct position so that the strings go nicely true them without any angle...
l_34709478e4f14660b146ed77782fe662.jpg

l_7a807b46da9f461c84961f2f8526eac6.jpg

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
My store recently got a GOTM Gibson V with gearless tuners. They're pretty awesome.

lcsdds

Fag
Reaction score
All my guitars use these tuners and I have NEVER had to solder anything. I don't know where that comes from. I moses graphite necks with and Ibanez shaped headstock and a ZR trem. These tuners are awesome....I highly reccomend them. Also the 40:1 tuning ratio doesn't make string changes a PITA.....it simplifies them.

yacker

Reaction score
I know I'm bumping an old thread but I was wondering if any of the users of these tuners know if these can be drilled to hold higher gauge strings?

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Gibson uses these tuners on the Epiphone Firebird Studio... as far as i know, that's the only other production guitar to use them. And i'd be surprised if Gibson recommended soldering the strings at the twist on a fixed bridge guitar. I'm pretty sure it's just a trem thing.

Gibson also used them on the M-III/M-IV series back in the mid-90s (along with a Steinberger tremolo).
Why Gibson, some might ask? Gibson bought Steinberger around that time.
My M-III is an earlier model, so I have regular tuners and a Schaller FR trem.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I know I'm bumping an old thread but I was wondering if any of the users of these tuners know if these can be drilled to hold higher gauge strings?

No they cant, the string is aspired inside the tuner, there is not enough room for a bigger guage then a .60

Latest posts