Steinberger GM Thread!

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Guitar Center has a Nashville GM4T in blue up for $750. I called to check on the condition, and it was returned because some part of the bridge is cracked. Still, $750 is a good price, and you can probably get it fixed by Peekamoose or Headless USA and still come out ahead.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Be_eM

Reaction score
Guitar Center has a Nashville GM4T in blue up for $750. I called to check on the condition, and it was returned because some part of the bridge is cracked. Still, $750 is a good price, and you can probably get it fixed by Peekamoose or Headless USA and still come out ahead.

Depends on which part is cracked. On a TT, there's only one part that comes to mind (the trem arm holder on the pivot base), and if it is this one, you're f###ed. Not available as a spare part anywhere, and you can't even lock the trem to use it as a fixed bridge. Requires a new TT or ST (also hardly available), or an XS trem as an alternative. However, pics or more details would help :)

Mushin80

Reaction score
Hello,

first time poster here after noticing that the interview with Paul Masvidal on this very site mentioned my Steinberger "replica" of his own (!!!). That was ages ago when I had this Steiny commissioned to look like Paul's legendary "marbleized" GM4T, and eventually showed him the pictures... :hbang:

I bought it through the excellent but now defunct East Coast Music Mall, back in 1999. The guitar was used, but in super mint condition. Originally it was green, the paint-job was done by the custom department at ECMM, don't remember the name of the guy who did it.
The serial# is N13698, so I suppose still Newburgh production, probably dating 1991-1992? Could never find out the exact date.

Awesome sound, despite being a Steiny loaded with EMG's, it sounds surprisingly warm and organic.

Now, I'm actually thinking of selling it, to whomever may be truly interested and at the right price.
It's still in excellent condition; there is a bit of wear on the TransTrem, palm side up, needs some cleaning. Body is absolutely immaculate, the paint-job made it really indestructible and dent-repellant (and quite heavier as well).
The neck is immaculate too, the fingerboard needs some cleaning and fretwork is still excellent for such an old guitar.
Just PM me if you're interested - I can send better pictures and give more details.

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    675.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    859 KB · Views: 32

Be_eM

Reaction score
…Originally it was green, the paint-job was done by the custom department at ECMM, don't remember the name of the guy who did it.
The serial# is N13698, so I suppose still Newburgh production, probably dating 1991-1992? Could never find out the exact date.

October 14, 1991. But color is originally listed as black. It also should have an active EQ, does it? Looks very cool :)

Bernd

Mushin80

Reaction score
October 14, 1991. But color is originally listed as black. It also should have an active EQ, does it? Looks very cool :)

Bernd

Hey Bernd,

thanks for the date! Awesome!
Black? I really thought I remembered the picture of the original before the paint-job was green... but perhaps I remember wrong, it was 14 years ago.

Yea, it's got active EQ, it's in the volume knob. But I rarely activate it as the guitar sounds so warm and nice without it being activated.

Be_eM

Reaction score
thanks for the date! Awesome!

You're welcome :)

Black? I really thought I remembered the picture of the original before the paint-job was green... but perhaps I remember wrong, it was 14 years ago.

At least that's how it was listed. But especially with black guitars the environment can often mislead the viewer… I've seen a couple of pics of black guitars reflecting grass, a wallpaper or a curtain, looking perfectly green.

Yea, it's got active EQ, it's in the volume knob. But I rarely activate it as the guitar sounds so warm and nice without it being activated.

It should be in the tone knob. I rarely use the EQs either, but they're very nice for some special sounds.

Bernd

Mushin80

Reaction score
It should be in the tone knob. I rarely use the EQs either, but they're very nice for some special sounds.

Bernd

Hah, yes, sorry I meant to write the tone knob... :agreed:

Thanks again for the date and I'm glad you like it. :cool:

blastomorpha

Reaction score
Still having some trouble with the S-Trem, expecially when I try to raise the picth with quick or little movements, like semitones or even less.
Often I feel a little play (I don't know if it is the correct word), so that the mechanical movement does not instantly translate in a pitch change.
Then the bar gets looser and I have to tighten the nut again.

I have to admit that the Floyd-like trems I tried were better in this aspect.

Be_eM

Reaction score
Still having some trouble with the S-Trem, expecially when I try to raise the picth with quick or little movements, like semitones or even less.
Often I feel a little play (I don't know if it is the correct word), so that the mechanical movement does not instantly translate in a pitch change.
Then the bar gets looser and I have to tighten the nut again.

There shouldn't be any play. At least there is no play on my S-Trem, and slightly touching the trem bar causes a slight pitch change as expected. Also the bar shouldn't get loose. Is the thread on the trem bar OK? And do you notice any other places with play (e.g. the bearings)?

Bernd

blastomorpha

Reaction score
There shouldn't be any play. At least there is no play on my S-Trem, and slightly touching the trem bar causes a slight pitch change as expected. Also the bar shouldn't get loose. Is the thread on the trem bar OK? And do you notice any other places with play (e.g. the bearings)?

Bernd

As I said, if I just push down the bar there's no problem, but if I pull up and the nut is a bit loose so that I can move the bar away from the strings for example, very often it gets loose, you can even hear a noise like *STACK* and there's a bit of play too.
No issue at all when the arm adjustment nut is all tightened so the bar holds its position, but it is not very usable for me that way :(

Be_eM

Reaction score
As I said, if I just push down the bar there's no problem, but if I pull up and the nut is a bit loose so that I can move the bar away from the strings for example, very often it gets loose, you can even hear a noise like *STACK* and there's a bit of play too.
No issue at all when the arm adjustment nut is all tightened so the bar holds its position, but it is not very usable for me that way :(

Well, the bar is designed to be used with the nut tightly fixed. What you describe here sounds like the whole bar jumps out by one single step (of the thread). Did you check the bar for potential damage on the threads?

Bernd

Be_eM

Reaction score
There's no thread more appropriate than this one to post this information:

PSA for those who might be interested in buying a Steinberger GM: there's a whole collection for sale in Europe right now, so this might be a chance for those who usually live on the wrong side of the big pond ;)

I'm not involved in this sale (just providing the page for showing the guitars), you can get all info, pics and the e-mail of the seller here:

Steinberger guitars for sale

Bernd

Moto54

Reaction score
35mqr2e.jpg

Hi all,
serial comes from this guitar, described on Ebay as a GM4R, but its obviously a GR. So this guitar is probably going back (when it gets here), but does this serial indicate a particular year? What would a decent price be for this guitar in your opinion(s)? The frets are supposedly very very good but the rest is a only fair/good. (it gets here on tuesday) Returning the guitar is not an issue at all, I mostly just want to get some value opinion before sending it back.. maybe make the dude a counter offer or whatever.

e8kho7.jpg

Be_eM

Reaction score
Made in 1990 or 1991, and definitely a stock GR-4. This one was around $1,250, correct? Too much, although GRs may reach this price point. But for that they need to be in flawless condition, which this one is not. IMHO it should be below $1k. But you should really be happy that it is not a GM-4R. Such a guitar doesn't exist, or better: it only exists as Ed Roman bastard, who butchered GM bodies (with a TT routing) to take up the cheaper R-Trem. These guitars have an irreversibly damaged body.

Moto54

Reaction score
Made in 1990 or 1991, and definitely a stock GR-4. This one was around $1,250, correct? Too much, although GRs may reach this price point. But for that they need to be in flawless condition, which this one is not. IMHO it should be below $1k. But you should really be happy that it is not a GM-4R. Such a guitar doesn't exist, or better: it only exists as Ed Roman bastard, who butchered GM bodies (with a TT routing) to take up the cheaper R-Trem. These guitars have an irreversibly damaged body.

I knew I could count on you. When I emailed the guy about having the wrong description on his guitar he right away offered to pay return shipping, so, this little adventure will not cost me a pfennig. And you are correct about the listing in question. I already have a very good guitar (Vigier) so my enthusiasm for Steinberger will live or die with how the neck feels (I've never held one!) So this overpriced 'mule' that is on its way will serve a strong purpose before I send it back to where it came from. Either it will break my fascination or it will inspire me to spend lots more and get a more dreamy example.

Check your PM's. And thanks a million. Maximilian.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
GM7TA just posted on GC's used site for $1200, no picture yet. It's at Totowa, New Jersey, so if anyone's interested, call them early tomorrow.