Steinberger GM Thread!

Be_eM

Reaction score
I put 10-46s on their and they pull up on the bridge too much. Is there any way to put heavier strings on it for E-standard tuning without changing a trem spring or something?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but: are you aware of the "master tuning knob" (sticking out at the back, below the bridge) and what it does? The usual procedure is:

1. lock the trem for putting on new strings
2. tune to pitch
3. unlock the trem
4. turn the master tuning knob to increase (cw) or decrease (ccw) spring tension, until the locked and unlocked trem position is identical

This should work with .010s without a problem. Not sure about .011s (standard tuning?), it could be a good idea to get a stronger spring, because of the higher compression required to compensate the string tension.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Be_eM

Reaction score
I'm interested also, as I like .10s or .11s on my guitars.

The same is true for the TransTrem and S-Trem. Using .010s is absolutely within the normal range, for .011s there is a stronger TransTrem replacement spring some guy has manufactured a couple of years ago (he sells them for $20 each). In case you need one, I've already imported a couple of them, so you wouldn't need to order in USA with shipping costs almost as high as the parts price :)

blastomorpha

Reaction score
The same is true for the TransTrem and S-Trem. Using .010s is absolutely within the normal range, for .011s there is a stronger TransTrem replacement spring some guy has manufactured a couple of years ago (he sells them for $20 each). In case you need one, I've already imported a couple of them, so you wouldn't need to order in USA with shipping costs almost as high as the parts price :)

Thanks for the info.
I'm going to pick up that guitar on this saturday, it has brend new .009s now so I'll wait a bit before trying a higher gauge.

One thing I don't understand about the S-Trem is about chords, will the strings stay in tune using the tremolo, like with a TransTrem?
I have read different opinions about it, a couple of posts here too, but many people who said that chords will not stay tuned often use the string adapter.

Be_eM

Reaction score
One thing I don't understand about the S-Trem is about chords, will the strings stay in tune using the tremolo, like with a TransTrem?
I have read different opinions about it, a couple of posts here too, but many people who said that chords will not stay tuned often use the string adapter.

Well, "opinions" won't help here ;)

The principle of the TransTrem is keeping strings in correct relative tune to each other while using the trem. When playing an E minor chord and bending down a whole step, you hear a D minor chord. This function is exclusive to the TT, so no other trem does this. This is the reason for the TT being so expensive.

Means: on the S-Trem you will get the same relative detuning of strings like on any other Trem (FR, R-Trem, whatever). Use it for whammying during weedly-weedly solos, or for slight vibrato over played chords. But don't expect chords to stay intact.

blastomorpha

Reaction score
Ok, now it's clear :)

About the string adapter, I know the disadvantages on a T-T equipped guitar where I need calibrated strings to get the best outof it, but with a S-T?

Be_eM

Reaction score

blastomorpha

Reaction score
You're right and after the rumors about production shutting down, I expect that everything marked with the Steinbeger logo will become even pricer :(

Be_eM

Reaction score
You're right and after the rumors about production shutting down, I expect that everything marked with the Steinbeger logo will become even pricer :(

Steinberger, or better Epiphone, denies that production has ended. According to them both the Synapses and the ZT3 are still manufactured and delivered. This is not what the dealers actually see, though.

Bernd

flint757

Reaction score
Yeah, the zt3 is out of stock EVERYWHERE otherwise I wouldn't have bought it used. Me thinks they are full of shit.

BlackStar7

Lord Autumnbottom
Reaction score
Steinberger, or better Epiphone, denies that production has ended. According to them both the Synapses and the ZT3 are still manufactured and delivered. This is not what the dealers actually see, though.

Bernd

Why is Gibson/Epiphone so freaking weird about this brand? Everything they've done with Steinberger in recent history makes little sense to me, particularly shuttering the GM series and now apparently burying the rest of the brand with it. Perhaps I'm overestimating the demand for these guitars (the used market can be very peculiar), but doesn't it seem like there's still significant enthusiasm?

Be_eM

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm overestimating the demand for these guitars (the used market can be very peculiar), but doesn't it seem like there's still significant enthusiasm?

What do you think what the niche is in which builders like Strandberg are so successful? I do believe there's a lot of interest in headless guitars.

blastomorpha

Reaction score
Welcome me to the club:

544475_10151804192386318_1852185412_n.jpg

Great, great guitar, looks and play fantastic. I just have to get used to the tremolo arm after years of an Ibanez-style bridge.

blastomorpha

Reaction score
Thanks Bernd, you've been so helpful ;)

I'm going to buy some new strings, the 0.09s now on the guitar feel too floppy so I'd like 0.10s.
Since the guitar has a S-Trem I don't need calibrated strings, right? So I was thinking about getting the GHS Boomers as they are cheaper than D'Addario (which I never liked that much, Dean Markley's Blue Steel fan here).
Never tried that brand, what do you think about them?

Be_eM

Reaction score
Since the guitar has a S-Trem I don't need calibrated strings, right? So I was thinking about getting the GHS Boomers as they are cheaper than D'Addario (which I never liked that much, Dean Markley's Blue Steel fan here).
Never tried that brand, what do you think about them?

Correct, you don't need calibrated strings. I haven't played GHS strings myself, I've only heard that they are not a good choice on TransTrems . But since you don't need that, I'd say give it a try :)

Bernd

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but: are you aware of the "master tuning knob" (sticking out at the back, below the bridge) and what it does? The usual procedure is:

1. lock the trem for putting on new strings
2. tune to pitch
3. unlock the trem
4. turn the master tuning knob to increase (cw) or decrease (ccw) spring tension, until the locked and unlocked trem position is identical

This should work with .010s without a problem. Not sure about .011s (standard tuning?), it could be a good idea to get a stronger spring, because of the higher compression required to compensate the string tension.

I did all of those things. I had the trem spring as tight as it would go and the bridge still pulled up. I just ended up putting 9s back on it. Does anyone know where to get a stiffer spring?

Be_eM

Reaction score
I did all of those things. I had the trem spring as tight as it would go and the bridge still pulled up. I just ended up putting 9s back on it. Does anyone know where to get a stiffer spring?

Well, this is not a normal behavior. Some old springs were a little bit short compared to the springs used later, so if you've got one of those short springs, there might be not enough "headroom" to adjust it properly. But even with those short springs the trem shouldn't be pulled up by .010s. Maybe your trem already has a replacement spring that's too soft.

Anyway, here are the spring sources:

- for using .011s, you need a stronger than the standard spring. In this article you'll find a guy named Lou Larson mentioned, including his e-mail address. He sells these stronger springs.

- for using .010s and below, a regular spring should usually work. You can get them here.

Bernd

Tymon

Reaction score

Bernd

Yeah it's strange how they run the Steinberger brand. Even as an endorsee I didn't get straight answers to a lot of questions I had. Especially that one question we all wonder about: why don't they bring back the GM series?! Still a mystery to me...

Latest posts