Steve Vai's guitar vault 03.2020

• Thread starter straymond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
Cool vid, thanks for sharing. That long scale DNA 7-string is pretty mean, as well as pretty much everything else hangin' up in there. GC walls across the land are envious.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It amazes me how he doesn’t have a single UV7PWH in that room or at least it seems so...his site lists that he has one but it’s labeled as a reissue UV71PWH even though in the picture it’s clearly a UV7PWH but he must’ve given it away as he’s done in the past. Odd. Love his collection though.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
You gotta love Steve Vai man. His playing doesn't really inspire me like a lot of people but you gotta respect what he's done and how good he is at what he does. I know some people think he comes off as pretentious but he's just a genuine dude whose all about the show. Awesome guy

GRUNTKOR

- GRANKOR
Reaction score
You gotta love Steve Vai man. His playing doesn't really inspire me like a lot of people but you gotta respect what he's done and how good he is at what he does. I know some people think he comes off as pretentious but he's just a genuine dude whose all about the show. Awesome guy
Agreed. His playing isn't my thing but he's a great player and always done his own thing. He always came across as a nice guy to me? Do people think he's pretentious? idk

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
- That trem guitar that can bend notes while keeping them to pitch is a very interesting concept.
- I like when he talks about the DNA guitar and if they ever cloned him then maybe the cloned Steve Vai could actually get his stuff on the radio : )

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Very cool video, much as love so many of his guitars, even the weird ones, its that Mick Ronson replica Les Paul that melted me, its stunning

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Man I wish I could tour that room to see those guitars in person. So amazing! Evo and Flo are so iconic

Sumsar

Reaction score
Cool, I like that his tech "Thomas" built a guitar which says Samoht on it (Thomas in reverse) a certain guitarist from Emperor and Zyklon uses a similar artist name ;) I doubt if Steve has ever heard Emperor, but maybe that what he listens to on saturday mornings while doing yoga?
:hmmm:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cool, I like that his tech "Thomas" built a guitar which says Samoht on it (Thomas in reverse) a certain guitarist from Emperor and Zyklon uses a similar artist name ;) I doubt if Steve has ever heard Emperor, but maybe that what he listens to on saturday mornings while doing yoga?
:hmmm:

If it makes you feel better, Steve has done NAMM booth appearances with Ihsahn when he was still with Ibanez, so there's a fairly good chance he's at least heard some Emperor. :lol:

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score

I think that reveals more about the people saying those things than it does Steve Vai.

For all Vai's oddities, he is not pretentious. He is spiritual, emotional, philosophical...but honest. At heart, he is a hippie. He was perhaps egotistical in his youth, yet even that is uncertain; he was a showman. That is different from pretending to be something you're not. Vai is the genuine article.

I am commenting because, while I am a fan of Steve's music and playing, I love listening to the man speak. He is one of the most authentic guitar players ever. He lives for his music and is the exact opposite of the pretentious twat some people make him out to be. Listening to him speak is a pleasure. In many ways, it is as enjoyable to hear his philosophy on life and music as much as it is to listen to his albums. Part of his popularly has been his ability to give a voice and face to instrumental guitar, to give it credibility as a genre.

More to the point, if a man's guitar collection reveals anything about his nature, you'd be hard-pressed to argue Steve isn't cut from his own cloth. Few play guitar like he does. Everything from his music to his instruments are distinct. He places value on friendship and sentiment rather than rarity and material worth. It strikes me that almost every guitar in that studio has a different function. It isn't his whole collection, but clearly there is a method to the madness in building an arsenal for his art.

I try to hold a high opinion of others, but when you read things like that on the internet, it is sometimes difficult to not come to the conclusion that the posters are thoughtless.

InHiding

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Vai's stage moves etc. but he seems genuine to me and he's put a lot of thought into things considering he has also spent a huge amount of time just playing.