Strandberg Boden in Japan!

• Thread starter rockstarazuri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKhan

Reaction score
Thanks for stopping in!

Though, per forum rules you'll need to pop your associations in your signature :)

Thanks. Just added the disclaimer in the signature but it isn't showing up. Does it take a little while for that to get updated?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
Thanks. Just added the disclaimer in the signature but it isn't showing up. Does it take a little while for that to get updated?

Cheers Ed! I was very happy to hear of your involvement with Strandberg, as I have the utmost respect both for the work that you did with Tone Mechants and Suhr and for your continued support and work for The Aristocrats.

Now get the Boden OS6 to Europe ASAP, and I'll get off your back ;-)

Cheers

Eske

rapterr15

Reaction score
So Ed (I really hope you read this), are the OS models sold in Japan built by the same team as those who make those for the U.S. market? I'm in Tokyo now and have the opportunity to have one ordered to my hostel, but that means I can't play it first. Should I expect the QC of these to be to the same standards you are setting for the U.S. models?

AlexKhan

Reaction score
So Ed (I really hope you read this), are the OS models sold in Japan built by the same team as those who make those for the U.S. market? I'm in Tokyo now and have the opportunity to have one ordered to my hostel, but that means I can't play it first. Should I expect the QC of these to be to the same standards you are setting for the U.S. models?

Yes, it's the same factory (World Musical Instruments) that's manufacturing the guitars. A Japanese distributor who imports from Korea has its own staff that does the QC/setup work before shipping to the dealers. I'd imagine that the Japanese distributor also has very high standards as well although I don't know them personally.

rapterr15

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply!

I just ordered a Red/Maple one and should have delivered to my hostel in a few days. Super stoked!!

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
I've got one question I would like to know about the OS line - are the maple fretboards laquered along with the whole neck? I've seen a Strandberg with a raw maple fretboard that was extremely dirty - some people like the wear on the maple fretboards, but I don't. Would love to know if there is poly coating on the fretboards aswell.

rockstarazuri

Reaction score
They're definitely not lacquered, satin finish all the way.

To Ed,

I hope these don't disappear like the Suhr Rasmus line! I have a GG and I regret that other people barely had the chance to know how good they are!

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
Yes but there is such a finish as satin poly laquer. Every Ibanez neck is laquered in satin poly, but it's still a laquer finish that protects the wood.

Inceptic

Reaction score
Yes, it's the same factory (World Musical Instruments) that's manufacturing the guitars. A Japanese distributor who imports from Korea has its own staff that does the QC/setup work before shipping to the dealers. I'd imagine that the Japanese distributor also has very high standards as well although I don't know them personally.

Could you please comment as to why the Korean guitars for Japan have Lace Aluma X-Bar pickups, but the ones for the US have EMG 707X?

AlexKhan

Reaction score
I've got one question I would like to know about the OS line - are the maple fretboards laquered along with the whole neck? I've seen a Strandberg with a raw maple fretboard that was extremely dirty - some people like the wear on the maple fretboards, but I don't. Would love to know if there is poly coating on the fretboards aswell.

The finish on the Boden OS necks is satin urethane. It's definitely not raw wood or oil finish. Feels fast and smooth. It may still wear over a period of time depending on how often you play it.

AlexKhan

Reaction score
They're definitely not lacquered, satin finish all the way.

To Ed,

I hope these don't disappear like the Suhr Rasmus line! I have a GG and I regret that other people barely had the chance to know how good they are!

As mentioned earlier, it takes a long-term commitment to work with the factories in Asia. One can't just send them some drawings and a few sample guitars and expect them to duplicate things that they were not trained to see, hear and feel.

Ola and I have made a very strong long-term commitment to work closely with World in the future. Both Ola and I will be visiting the factory on a regular basis and I'm also looking into hiring an independent QC inspector/tech in Korea whom I've known and worked with since the early-90's. We are extremely serious about this and will do whatever it takes. Ola and I are very confident that the Boden OS line will be successful and we have many more projects in the works.

AlexKhan

Reaction score
Could you please comment as to why the Korean guitars for Japan have Lace Aluma X-Bar pickups, but the ones for the US have EMG 707X?

We decided that the EMG's are a known quantity to most people in the US and that they know what to expect. EMG does have many adherents. I have the 808-X on my Boden 8 and was surprised how good it sounded for a variety of playing styles and sounds. The Japanese distributor specifically asked for the Lace.

It's possible we may offer the Lace pickups for the US market in the future if we find there's a strong demand. So far, most people here seem quite content with the EMG's as orders are coming in at a brisk pace.

We are at the beginning of this launch so we'll see how things go. Guitar SKU count based on options can quickly get out of hand so we have to gauge the demand thoroughly before committing to more options like pickups, different colors, etc. We are definitely watching and listening!

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
The finish on the Boden OS necks is satin urethane. It's definitely not raw wood or oil finish. Feels fast and smooth. It may still wear over a period of time depending on how often you play it.

Thank You! Does that mean the FRETBOARD is laquered aswell? Because when it's rosewood it's masked off during the laquering process, if it's the same with maple then it's a shame because unlaquered maple captures sweat stains really fast...

AlexKhan

Reaction score
Thank You! Does that mean the FRETBOARD is laquered aswell? Because when it's rosewood it's masked off during the laquering process, if it's the same with maple then it's a shame because unlaquered maple captures sweat stains really fast...

Yes, the maple fretboard is finished as well in satin urethane so you're covered.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
Wow, this thread just got 10 times better! I wanna thank Mr. Yoon for stepping in and answering our questions, thats goddamn customer service right there :cool: and its awesome to hear that the project is designed in such grand scale. I'm definitely getting a sixer once they release them.

Haun

Reaction score
Dammit. Now I have to get a 6-string boden. Well, I could be worse off.

shanerct

Reaction score
Mine just came in. I'll be doing a NGD with better pictures after I get out of the office. I got to played this beast during my lunch break. I don't want to jump the gun on this but I think this is going to ruin the rest of my guitars for me. Can't wait to go home and plug it in.

Here is a tease:
RKN0Ihe.jpg

RKN0Ihe