String Gauge for Droptuning

Hojo09

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello, so I am a complete string gauge noob, and have been neglecting my 7string for too long. A lot of music I'm wanting to play at the moment is Drop E or so. Unfortunately my guitar is only 25" scale, which sucks for me, but what can ya do

My question, is what the most comfortable gauges would be for drop E, if I still want to tune up closer to b standard as well?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Regardless of taste I would probably suggest a 74 as it will be very tight but not utterly insane close to B (pretty normal in G-A), and loose but at least not too thick and dark on that scale length, when in E.
For the rest of the set - what are the highest and lowest tunings and the gauges you'd usually use for B/E standard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PRS_Baritone_Vito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One thing you might run into is the tuning peg for your low string won't be able to take a really thick string. You may need to have the hole drilled out a little bit to accommodate it. I ran into that problem on one of my 27" baritones. It wouldn't take a 74 gauge. That was a little shocking since I figured the tuning peg would be a little larger in that guitar.

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
This will give you a reasonably good approximation of what tensions you want to be at. Start with a set you like in a tuning you like, for instance 10-46 in an E or Eb tuning, and then tune down, and find the gauges which give you similar tensions.

http://stringtensionpro.com/

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score