Suggestions for Analysis

• Thread starter Mr. Big Noodles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
I'm trying to work some metal into my music theory class projects, maybe get a thesis going off it if I find anything worthwhile. I need your help to get some suggestions on songs you might want to see analyzed. No guarantee that I'll get around to it, but I'll certainly share my efforts if they prove fruitful.

Not that it matters a whole lot, but songs that resist traditional analysis (lack of periodicity, unusual harmony or form, progressions not based on root movement by fifth) would be awesome. Ideally, I will be looking at long-range pitch organization, and eventually discuss the physicality of the guitar in relationship to pitch selection/melodic patterns in my prose.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sumsar

Reaction score
I don't know anything about analysing music, but I imagine that Symphony X's "The odyssey" you be great for analysis. Is has many different parts where it both used pretty conventional harmony, but also parts with more exotic melodies. It also uses rhythm/ different time signatures to empthesize the various sections.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Cool. I might be able excerpt some of that, or even write something about sectional form and organizational principles in long-form songs. The fact that there is a vocal melody, chords, and a bass line actually makes The Odyssey pretty straightforward to analyze (with no shortage of interesting talking points).